New Manager (Rumours and Suggestions) | Page 2 | Vital Football

New Manager (Rumours and Suggestions)

Only two criteria for me:
1. Manager, not coach, known for playing attacking football, and
2. Previous success in the lower divisions.

Someone like that will then deserve patience and hopefully the support of the fans, perhaps more than NH or SC.

And no, I can't think of an obvious candidate based in the south that might be available. Sorry.

Be pleased with any of these:
Paul Cook (Chesterfield)
Gareth Ainsworth (ex QPR)
Keith Lindsay (Crawley)

Surprised with one of these:
Nigel Clough (Mansfield)
Jon Brady (Northampton)

Not surprised but a bit underwhelmed with these:
Kevin Maher (Southend)
Andy Woodman (Bromley)

And there was me sitting there this morning thinking it was going to be a boring few weeks before any interesting Gills stuff happened now the season is over...

I wanted Clemence out of all the names in the frame last time, so what do I know?

Kevin Maher was our first choice last time, but the compensation Southend wanted was the issue, hence we got the “refused permission to talk to him” official statement put out.
Then we went after Scott Lindsey but again compensation Crawley wanted (£250k) proved the sticking point. Clemence was third choice effectively, that’s why the process took so long.

Only two criteria for me:
1. Manager, not coach, known for playing attacking football, and
2. Previous success in the lower divisions.

Someone like that will then deserve patience and hopefully the support of the fans, perhaps more than NH or SC.

And no, I can't think of an obvious candidate based in the south that might be available. Sorry.
Scott Lindsey would be my choice
Done a great job at Crawley

Interesting. Isn`t he currently with Neil Harris ? Wonder whether NH would be quick to recommend the Gills to him ?
Yeah I think he's still at Millwall with Harris and Livermore. He's been caretaker there a couple of times but seemingly overlooked for the top job on a permanent basis (he may not even want it). He'd certainly provide lower league nous, knows the club and is already fondly thought of here which has got to be a good start.

Should point out I have literally no inside line on this, just a thought I've had for a while with him.

Id go for Wild @ Barrow, Woodman @ Bromley.

Ainsworth has more experience at our level & above or a return for Pulis ....oh who knows i'll wait & see

Yeah I think he's still at Millwall with Harris and Livermore. He's been caretaker there a couple of times but seemingly overlooked for the top job on a permanent basis (he may not even want it). He'd certainly provide lower league nous, knows the club and is already fondly thought of here which has got to be a good start.

Should point out I have literally no inside line on this, just a thought I've had for a while with him.
Just looked it up, he`s Asst to Neil Harris. I`ve no idea how close, or otherwise, NH and AB are but, thinking about the post-Gills stigmatic impression probably left on NH, well, who knows....