New Manager, or can Rowett turn it around? | Vital Football

New Manager, or can Rowett turn it around?

Rowett to stay or go?

• Total voters

Bloomeram

Alert Team
Well it's the day after yet another home defeat and the chances of reaching the play-offs is ever decreasing. So what do you all think about Rowett as manager, or more to the point what will Mel Morris make of the fall from the top six.

Top six was our target for this season according to Mell at the start of the season and we raised expectation when yet again we found ourselves in second position around Christmas.

Is there anyone who can stop this Annual decline or does the problems go much deeper inside the club?

Who is that in the picture - another one of our ex managers?

At first I thought that Rowett was being hung because we had a poor run after overachieving in the first half of the season. However this is not just a poor run. It is sustained relegation form - a point a game over almost half a season.

Ordinarily I favour some stability at managerial level and so would urge retaining him to do the job, but I was underwhelmed by the appointment and remain so still.

Whoever comes in needs to be a fighter and an axeman all rolled into one. Mel has to accept that the squad we have, Vydra aside, is almost worthless. Many contracts need to be terminated which will not be cheap.

We need a manager used to a relegation battle, not one looking up to the money league. Someone who can work with young players and no transfer budget. God knows who, but Arsene Wenger is available.

Who is that in the picture - another one of our ex managers?

At first I thought that Rowett was being hung because we had a poor run after overachieving in the first half of the season. However this is not just a poor run. It is sustained relegation form - a point a game over almost half a season.

Ordinarily I favour some stability at managerial level and so would urge retaining him to do the job, but I was underwhelmed by the appointment and remain so still.

Whoever comes in needs to be a fighter and an axeman all rolled into one. Mel has to accept that the squad we have, Vydra aside, is almost worthless. Many contracts need to be terminated which will not be cheap.

We need a manager used to a relegation battle, not one looking up to the money league. Someone who can work with young players and no transfer budget. God knows who, but Arsene Wenger is available.
Yes good shout Arsene has had years fighting relegation and managing without money to spend he will do Mind you anybody who can actually get Welbeck to play at least three games a season must be good

Does Rowett have the ability to sign some quality, from what I've seen so far no Davies apart
Derby have one big worry nearly all the players are contracted to summer 2019 and beyond so we are stuck with them all next season
Nobody will buy any of them!!
Martin, Butterfield, Bryson all return plus we have given many contract extensions willy nilly like Forsyth & Martin for incidence absolutely crazy
also why give Hansen a new two year deal madness I've seen nothing but a league 2 player at best
Basically no money will be available in the summer because we won't be able to sell any of them
League 1 looms

This is how bad we've become. I think Martin, Butterfield, and Bryson should be the first names on the sheet next season, oh and bring Bent back to join them!

I haven't rated one of Rowetts signings. Going down the they've been there and dunnit route isn't the way. None of them are hungry for what they've already achieved before! We need a manager who is a real motivator, is there any out there?

Last edited:
I haven't rated one of Rowetts signings. Going down the they've been there and dunnit route isn't the way. None of them are hungry for what they've already achieved before! We need a manager who is a real motivator, is there any out there?

What about Paul Cook.?
Did a great job at Chesterfield 3 years ago (how they must wish he was still there).Same at Portsmouth and now Wigan.

Well it's the day after yet another home defeat and the chances of reaching the play-offs is ever decreasing. So what do you all think about Rowett as manager, or more to the point what will Mel Morris make of the fall from the top six.

Top six was our target for this season according to Mell at the start of the season and we raised expectation when yet again we found ourselves in second position around Christmas.

Is there anyone who can stop this Annual decline or does the problems go much deeper inside the club?

In my opinion the problems go much deeper. For some reason we seem to have been lumbered with a bunch of over paid players who show little loyalty or commitment to the club.
How or why they have arrived or stayed at Derby, even only as the ‘parent club’, it would perhaps be unwise to speculate about however I do, personally, doubt the commitment of those such as Butterfield, Johnson, Martin, Bryson and Shackell.
Not only are those five not committed, imo, but if and when 4/5 return they also cost us an estimated £100,000 per week (Roger might be clearer on that one) and that is a seriously bad equation.
In addition we have the Ledley, Huddlestone, Thorne issue...all either too old or injury prone imo but might benefit from the addition of a more mobile and youthful ball winner.
Then there’s the idea, again in my opinion, that Forsyth, Baird and Olsson aren’t good enough and that Anya is too expensive to select.
All in all it’s a mess but most of those problems are not of Rowett’s making so let’s get it sorted out via financial/legal ‘management’ and leave Rowett to manage the football. I still feel he can do it if he doesn’t constantly have one hand tied behind his back by circumstances.

Last edited:
This is how bad we've become. I think Martin, Butterfield, and Bryson should be the first names on the sheet next season, oh and bring Bent back to join them!
MoP Love the sense of humour I'm hoping none of them come back They were sent on loan for a reason and it wasn't football

Neil Harris for me. Has shown how to mould a team with no fancy Dan's . He can bring lee gregory and Jed Wallace with him too. We need someone who can get the best out of these players as derby cannot have 30 players signed who cannot compete in the championship and cannot just end contracts and pay out for so many.if we can get them playing for a short while someone may come and buy some like we did with Blackman after a short period of his good form.we just need a manager who can get them playing and a formation that works for us and integrate youth players and sorry but indolent think it's Rowett

Neil Harris for me. Has shown how to mould a team with no fancy Dan's . He can bring lee gregory and Jed Wallace with him too. We need someone who can get the best out of these players as derby cannot have 30 players signed who cannot compete in the championship and cannot just end contracts and pay out for so many.if we can get them playing for a short while someone may come and buy some like we did with Blackman after a short period of his good form.we just need a manager who can get them playing and a formation that works for us and integrate youth players and sorry but indolent think it's Rowett

Maybe Rowett isn't the guy then, but can we aford to pay off his new contract with the club?.........as well as getting rid/replacing the dead wood this closed season?............................always assuming we miss out on the play-offs and by some miricle actually win them.:cheers:

Maybe Rowett isn't the guy then, but can we aford to pay off his new contract with the club?.........as well as getting rid/replacing the dead wood this closed season?............................always assuming we miss out on the play-offs and by some miricle actually win them.:cheers:

Now that would give you a chance to improve on that Premiership record of yours.:utv:

5 players named as not being committed..... only 1 of them is playing for us at the moment.

I am of the opinion that no manager could halt this perennial post New Year slump. At least not until he got rid of most of the players and replaced them with young skilful players with heart. Playing in the SBC on PL wages is too good a gig to pass on so get ourselves into a good position and then coast it. I hope they prove me wrong.....

5 players named as not being committed..... only 1 of them is playing for us at the moment.

I am of the opinion that no manager could halt this perennial post New Year slump. At least not until he got rid of most of the players and replaced them with young skilful players with heart. Playing in the SBC on PL wages is too good a gig to pass on so get ourselves into a good position and then coast it. I hope they prove me wrong.....

That though is the point MA. Sorry was a bit letjagged yesterday. These players who I’ve mentioned are symptomatic of the state of the club. They are all big earners but, I feel, don’t want to be here/feel unwanted. What impact does the fact that they’ll be back in a week or two have on the rest of the squad and how can Rowett (or anyone) manage when he knows he’s going to have to deal with this element and see the resultant drain on financial resources too? Until it’s sorted I can’t see anyone being able to manage successfully at Derby.

Mel created the dinosaur, Mel needs to admit this ain't Candy Crush and that he needs a good Chief Executive to sort the mess out as he is pissing in the wind at the present. Then Rowett (or ano) can get on with their job on a success or out basis with no excuses!!

That though is the point MA. Sorry was a bit letjagged yesterday. These players who I’ve mentioned are symptomatic of the state of the club. They are all big earners but, I feel, don’t want to be here/feel unwanted. What impact does the fact that they’ll be back in a week or two have on the rest of the squad and how can Rowett (or anyone) manage when he knows he’s going to have to deal with this element and see the resultant drain on financial resources too? Until it’s sorted I can’t see anyone being able to manage successfully at Derby.

Might have been me.... but I read it as those players being responsible for the poor run of form. Weird when 4 are out on loan and the other has missed a few games. First with the broken bone in his back (?) and more recently when a cut turned septic.

But MA, have you ever really believed Johnson to display the commitment and energy in a Derby shirt that he used to show for Norwich? The same for me is true of Martin since his injury in early 2015, Bryson since his injury just before Wembley 2014, Butterfield and Shackell after their first seasons? Soul destroying for any manager.
Let Morris, or an honest and able ‘deputy’, sort what needs sorting, contracts/finance wise and let the manager get on with the football undistracted...only then, as mac implies, can we judge.

Last edited:
Latest Rams News