New Management based on Investors? | Page 2 | Vital Football

New Management based on Investors?

It's had me giggling for most of the day; new management dependant upon potential new investors .... utter horse sh*t, but funny.

until a deal is done and assuming we are not talking to Arsene Wenger about a 10 year deal; no new investor is going to give a dam .... if they are buying it for the long term, they will expect to terminate whoever is in charge, any costs would be negotiated as part of the deal... but of course these potential serious investors are probably just clambering to jump in the hot seat at Gills; after all its such a good investment right ?

the fact is, you would have to be mad, a billionaire or criminal, in order to want to buy the club; Its a terrible investment.

we dont own any assets of note, we have no history of top flight football, we are based in a relatively poor area, we dont have a positive public image, our attendance and club engagement is waining, we do have debts with directors of the club, we dont have a solid governance model, we dont have a structured approach to developing the club, we dont have a good record of player development and realising the cash in order to re-invest, the stadium staff are in constant flux, hire a new bunch, fire a bunch, hire a new bunch.

GFC is a lifestyle business, I would say with a value of between 750k-1.5m ... and if I was advising a client, it would be closer to the 750k mark. The liabilities that would come with the club at purchase are significant: several years left on a lease deal for Priestfield, directors owed money and a not insignificant amount of capital required in order to build for the future.

I'm sure others will have an opinion on the value; but honestly ... its not worth the sort of money that PS would need in order to give up the celebrity lifestyle of being a football Chairman.

Leaving to one-side my love of Gills, if I was going to buy a club in Kent .... I would look towards Maidstone (ooo, just been slightly sick), a much 'safer' and value based option.

This all seems to point to Taylor until at least the season's end. Last time around under PT Gills were going nowhere and could not beat Brackley in three attempts. Scally sacked him so why on earth employ him again in the same role. After the fearful abuse that Taylor received before his sacking I am amazed that he is putting himself in the firing line again. Courageous but foolish springs to mind.
Years ago Guy and Ash told me how highly they rated PT as a coach. The fans at Bradford and subsequent other clubs did not share that view.

i agree with nearly all of your post strood regarding investment. apart from the last one regarding maidstone. still a bit to close to london to build a sizeable fanbase in my reckoning. if i had the money, the kent club i would look at is margate a town on the up.

myonlygillingham - 26/9/2017 16:25

i agree with nearly all of your post strood regarding investment. apart from the last one regarding maidstone. still a bit to close to london to build a sizeable fanbase in my reckoning. if i had the money, the kent club i would look at is margate a town on the up.

Margate ... not a bad shout at all sir.

There is absolutely no reason why GFC can't do much better except that Scally has no empathy whatsoever with the fans. He's always treated them as being somewhere on the pariah scale, a necessary evil, a group with collective agendas and, yet, at this level the fans are his only real source of income whether it be through ticket sales, food and drink outlets at the ground or merchandise. All that and he still pisses on them.

When I go to Bradford City I'm amazed at then turnout and, as a fairly local team, I read match reports etc. Yes, they have 'cheap' tickets and special deals but attract over 20,000 very often; imagine what that does to food and drink and merchandise takings.

Until and unless Scally affords the fans a status becoming a football club, the gates and the clubs fortunes will bob about in the doldrums or worse. He has the ability to line his own nest through his past business venture etc but not the clubs.

Seems like an excuse in place for when he offers the job to either Taylor, or someone who has already previous managed the club. If he is only talks with investors about investing in the squad then the manager should not worry at all. Look at Northampton who got new investors at the start of the season. Jed didn't start off well and then they got rid of him and brought someone else in who they felt would do a better job. To me it seems like scally doesn't want to interview anyone and just give the job to Taylor even though he doesn't want it.

To me if this is due to scally not having any money then questions must be asked why we don't have any to get a good manager. Maybe if scally employed a manager who is experienced in this league and instead of having to keep employing and sacking he's friends then money would be available.

I've only just seen the comment the chairman made about our budget for this season ..... he really does have some front :1:

The sooner he finds an excuse or creates a narrative that allows him to sell the ground and move us to temporary digs the better; we can then go-bust blame ITV, BREXIT and all those nasty Gills supporters with Agendas over the years.... then the rebuilding can start.

As terrible as that sounds, I fear its the most likely course that the good ship GFC will end up sailing.

He surely couldn't have meant what he said about the budget. The words must have come out wrong. Got confused.

As for investors. Heard it all before. I hope its true, I really do but I believe it when they come through.

We'll see.

As High as any budget we've had in league one :59:

Wayne.Kerr - 26/9/2017 16:41

There is absolutely no reason why GFC can't do much better except that Scally has no empathy whatsoever with the fans. He's always treated them as being somewhere on the pariah scale, a necessary evil, a group with collective agendas and, yet, at this level the fans are his only real source of income whether it be through ticket sales, food and drink outlets at the ground or merchandise. All that and he still pisses on them.

And yet there have been an independent section of Gillingham fans who paints Scally as having no empathy whatsoever, is a bit of a pariah, a necessary evil, while always conspiring against the fans due to some conspiracy agendas....

Even during the good times there were sections of fans who thought Scally was some sort of
:66:

Scally has made mistakes, but he is nowhere near the scallywag some fans see him as....

New manager will be Ronald Macdonald after the new investors turn the Brian Moore Stand into a drive through.

Wayne, you go banging on and on about Bradford City like a broken record. Please explain to me, if this is such a fantastic business model, why aren't all clubs in League 1 and 2 going down the same route and filling their grounds ? Go on Wayne tell me.