My last trip to Newport .......................... | Vital Football

My last trip to Newport ..........................

Hampshiregills

Vital Youth Team
............................. was on Thursday 30th April 1964 to see us clinch the 4th Division title. We had won away at York without conceding a goal on the Monday of that week, and a further win without conceding would do the job. In those days, where 2 teams had the same number of points, then ''goal average'' would decide position ............................ that being calculated by dividing the goals scored by the goals conceded. To win the title, two 1-0 wins were required, and that's exactly what we did. Both times we scored in the first half, with the rest of the game being at least 9 men and the goalkeeper being behind the ball for the rest of the game.

Our manager at the time [ Freddie Cox ] had built the team around defence, and boring as it was to watch, it was a style which succeeded at Priestfield. Mind you, for me it was then just as it is now, all about winning. Yes it's good to see an exciting game, but if the Gills won, then I didn't care if it was as boring as shite.

Went to a pub close to the ground after the the win, and most of the team were more than merry in there. The welcome to our small group of fans was bellowed out from centre half Mike Burgess with the words ................... CHEERS LADS, HAVE A PINT. By the look and sound of him, Mike had already a few himself, but we were more than happy to accept his offer.

Fingers crossed for a similar result today.

By extreme contrast, mine was 1973, had just won five in a row. Lost 5 1 in the pissing rain. Shithole of a place and ground (Somerton Park).

Probably my worst ever away trip, beating Aldershit, Luton and the debacle at Barnet circa 92/3

............................. was on Thursday 30th April 1964 to see us clinch the 4th Division title. We had won away at York without conceding a goal on the Monday of that week, and a further win without conceding would do the job. In those days, where 2 teams had the same number of points, then ''goal average'' would decide position ............................ that being calculated by dividing the goals scored by the goals conceded. To win the title, two 1-0 wins were required, and that's exactly what we did. Both times we scored in the first half, with the rest of the game being at least 9 men and the goalkeeper being behind the ball for the rest of the game.

Our manager at the time [ Freddie Cox ] had built the team around defence, and boring as it was to watch, it was a style which succeeded at Priestfield. Mind you, for me it was then just as it is now, all about winning. Yes it's good to see an exciting game, but if the Gills won, then I didn't care if it was as boring as shite.

Went to a pub close to the ground after the the win, and most of the team were more than merry in there. The welcome to our small group of fans was bellowed out from centre half Mike Burgess with the words ................... CHEERS LADS, HAVE A PINT. By the look and sound of him, Mike had already a few himself, but we were more than happy to accept his offer.

Fingers crossed for a similar result today.

Are you, or were you with, a certain party who shall remain nameless, but was late of these parts, and was there?

Are you, or were you with, a certain party who shall remain nameless, but was late of these parts, and was there?
I travelled by train on a "football special" .......... which were common for midweek games back then. Met a small group of fans on the platform when I arrived at Newport, but no idea now who they were.