Music to Drive to. | Vital Football

Music to Drive to.

Archiepoptart

Vital 1st Team Regular
Following on from the Wayne music thread, I thought driving music and the memories conjured up deserved it's own thread.
Late 1970's driving through Epping forrest after a good dumping of snow, in a clapped out mini Clubman listening to Elton Johns funeral for a friend/ love lies bleeding. Early morning not another car in sight. Magical. I was moving an ex girlfriend to her new flat. Completely failed to get the 'thanks for your help' 'just for old times ' shag I was hoping for.

Following on from the Wayne music thread, I thought driving music and the memories conjured up deserved it's own thread.
Late 1970's driving through Epping forrest after a good dumping of snow, in a clapped out mini Clubman listening to Elton Johns funeral for a friend/ love lies bleeding. Early morning not another car in sight. Magical. I was moving an ex girlfriend to her new flat. Completely failed to get the 'thanks for your help' 'just for old times ' shag I was hoping for.

I can see how those tunes would suit leisurely driving on empty roads, but the highways these days generally demand something with more energy.

My all time favourite for driving is still Boys of Summer by Don Henley with other tunes like Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams, More than a Feeling by Boston and, needless to say, Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf featuring in the Top 10.

Wayne's World can keep Bohemian Rhapsody !

My brothers and I all swap music we stumble across through concerts, friends or trawling t'internet. This genius arrived yesterday...
'The King' did an album called 'Gravelands' covering the songs of dead rockstars in an Elvis style!
Sounds shit but give it a listen. Here's just one track but Youtube has more...

Last edited:
On days like these - mainly because of the film.
I was driving a convertible up a steep winding road and by chance this came on the radio.
Made my day

What I was hoping for was more music and context. That summer evening driving into the sun when boys of summer crops up on the random playlist. That early morning winter drive south when as the sun comes up and reflect off the snow covered mountains and Dire Straits Telegraph Road crops up.

What I was hoping for was more music and context. That summer evening driving into the sun when boys of summer crops up on the random playlist. That early morning winter drive south when as the sun comes up and reflect off the snow covered mountains and Dire Straits Telegraph Road crops up.

One night with the two of us exhausted and sleepy, the Beatles first album got us home singing loud to every single song.

One night with the two of us exhausted and sleepy, the Beatles first album got us home singing loud to every single song.

Not driving but a train journey.

1972 three stroodie and a Canadian who joined us (as you did in hippy days), we took a 4 bunk compartment on the night train from barcelona to malaga.

we were on the way to alemaria to try and get jobs as extras on spaghetti westerns but i digress.

the train was packed with ultra noisy barcelona supporters along with a few guitars and drums etc.

As usual we started singing Beatle sings. In a short time the guitars started and we could hear the Barca supporters joining in.

we knew the words to nearly every Beatles song so it must have gone on for hours lol. Certainly the barca fans did not let up all night.

One thing for sure Is that music brings people together.

My memories of music & driving (or being driven) are mainly from my travels.
....such as leaving Athens, in a Magic Bus, heading for London, nightime... the driver cranked up the radio & passed a full bottle of Ouzo to the passengers. The second driver was later dancing in the aisle, with a couple of travellers, to the wild Greek clarinet led music, & other bottles of ouzo had joined the party.
.... the taxi driver in Cairo who introduced me to the music of Oum Kalthoum singing "Enta Omri", who is still the Egyptian & Arab world's greatest legend.
.... the first time I drove in Southern Ireland & not being able to listen to my cassettes as the roads were so bumpy that they kept ejecting all the time....
and and

Last edited:
In a minibus going to a school cricket match away somewhere. Driver had a cassette of Bowie‘s Diamond Dogs which had just been released. Must have listened to it four times