Moving forward | Page 2 | Vital Football

Moving forward

It was different, because of the second half. Instead of trying to park the bus, we went for it and got the second goal. If we’d done that at Swansea we wouldn’t have pissed away two points.

It was different, because of the second half. Instead of trying to park the bus, we went for it and got the second goal. If we’d done that at Swansea we wouldn’t have pissed away two points.

Had Walton not been in goal we would have dine regardless.

We all discussed Cooks presser saying about regaining our identity and then we saw a noticeable difference. So I think there has been a change in approach in the mechanics of the play. Granted first goals, confidence, opposition behaviour etc all play a factor in any game or run but there was a very distinctive determination to try and play it out and that made a huge difference. In past games players would pump it long almost indescriminantly at times even on occasions they didn't have to while yesterday there were a few times I would've been OK with them clearing their lines under the pressure they had but they had the composure to keep posession. The bravery in posession was back.

The way you could tell it was different was from goal kicks last season and at the start of this season we had a very distinctive way we played out. 2 centre halves go wide on about 18 yard line, 2 full backs push up a bit and go to the touchline and Morsy and / or Evans drop deep in the central space opened up. The opposition generally press with 2 or 3 as can't mark all 6 passing options without completely losing shape and over committing numbers and leaving our front 4 against their back 4 in the event of going long - so it means we have space to play it out. Then we'd have movement off the ball and within a few passes we could be in their half in control of the ball.

During the bad run we mostly seemed to stop doing this. We'd push everyone towards the half way line and pump it long and hope for the best. On the rare occasion we'd try and pass it out the centre backs would be the only 2 players who behaved as before and the rest would push towards the half way line. With only 2 passing options for the keeper the opposition would commit to men to them and it meant that it was too risky to play out and we'd just pump it long nearly every time or the CB would get it and go long immediately under pressure and lack of options.

There were other bits and pieces but those things were the main ones I noticed as being us back to form.

Just seen Gelhardt's goals against Hull, first two are truly superb. That's the bloody way forward . Only at Wigan can we not see this lad is first team material NOW, not next season . Get him involved with the first team squad.

Just seen Gelhardt's goals against Hull, first two are truly superb. That's the bloody way forward . Only at Wigan can we not see this lad is first team material NOW, not next season . Get him involved with the first team squad.

Saw your post so thought I'd check out the goals before commenting. Undoubtedly two fantastic finishes, there is little doubt the boy has talent. Can't really judge his overall game from that clip though.

If we can secure survival with a few games left of the season then maybe Cook will test his ability with some substitute appearances, unless we're going to loan him out to a league club this month. I think there were noises in the summer about other clubs showing an interest, with goals like those that will only increase. If we are to keep him in the summer then I think he will need to be involved in the first team next season.

Jones is a lot more alive round the back of the back four , you can see him looking to mop up any balls over the top instead of staying in his 6 yard box like walton .. had a good game and will deservedly start v Sheff Wed

I would love to see Gelhardt play for us some day but he is way too young. Keep in mind he's only 16 and won't be able to compete physically with Championship brick sh*thouse defenders. The worst thing we can do is rush him in and destroy his confidence and progress. Don't forget that Reece James, who is 2 years older and been training in one of the country's best academies, didn't play a professional game until he joined us this season.

I get we want to see academy players succeed and not end up like the countless other promising rejects we had like Robles, Cosgrove and Bingham, but rushing him out is not the correct way to do it, even Baines and Macca weren't rushed out and played a handful of games at Reece James' age, Baines having the advantage with us being in a lower league that were close to his ability.

He'll be old enough for a professional contract (that he has already agreed to sign) in the summer and hopefully get important first team football on loan throughout next season and fortunately for him and us, him being part of the England squad and having a good goal record will get more and better teams knocking on the door to loan him to start compared to past players who barely make the sub bench in 6th tier or lower at 18, same could potentially apply for Jensen Weir.

Last edited:
The one thing i would say about Geldheart is he was quite stocky and well built for such a young lad from what i remember of Tranmere away - he wasn't like most players of his age where they are a bit lightweight and yet to fill out. So physically he may not be as vulnerable as many of 16 year olds would be.

But i do agree that throwing him in at the deep end too early could damange his progression. At 16 there is no rush to blood him if he's not ready. I suspect he'll be loaned out before we gets in our first team.

I’ve never seen him play but a couple of folk I know saw him play late last year for England youth. They couldn’t believe how big he was for his age. That’s why he can play with players far older because he’s physically at that level. In a couple of years I’m guessing he’ll be built like an absolute truck similar to Reece James.

Wonder if Rioch sees similarities with Gelhardt and Callum Wilson. He’s another one built like a truck for his age and Rioch was the one who brought him through at Coventry.

Based on the reviews he’s getting and more importantly that the vultures are circling, I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t see any first team minutes if we secure safety before the last day. At the very least he needs to be heavily involved in pre season. As does Lang, next summer is his last chance to make it with us. If he’s not in first team contention by the end of pre season then he needs to be sold.