MotM Review 2021/22 | Vital Football

MotM Review 2021/22

Matic

Alert Team
image_2022-05-25_114933018.png

Its been a strange season.

Here are the results from the entire MotM poll results for this entire season.

The polls for individual games (admittedly I didnt create a few of these polls due to Covid and bereavement but is over 53 games in PL, cups and Europe):

1st - Skipp
2nd - Kane & Lloris
3rd - Dier

The results from the Player of the season threads in Defence, Midfield and Attack:

Defence - Dier
Midfield - Bentancur
Attack - Son

View attachment 57946

Its been a strange season.

Here are the results from the entire MotM poll results for this entire season.

The polls for individual games (admittedly I didnt create a few of these polls due to Covid and bereavement but is over 53 games in PL, cups and Europe):

1st - Skipp
2nd - Kane & Lloris
3rd - Dier

The results from the Player of the season threads in Defence, Midfield and Attack:

Defence - Dier
Midfield - Bentancur
Attack - Son
What a shame Skipp's season was curtailed so early. That's a phenomenal achievement in his first season and having played barely half of the league games.

Son was almost unanimously voted the attacker of the season on this forum, which probably shows how much Son's brilliance goes unnoticed because of Kane during a season. He has been our most consistent player for years now and we are very lucky that, for some reason, none of Europe's elite have REALLY pushed to sign him over the years.

Son was almost unanimously voted the attacker of the season on this forum, which probably shows how much Son's brilliance goes unnoticed because of Kane during a season. He has been our most consistent player for years now and we are very lucky that, for some reason, none of Europe's elite have REALLY pushed to sign him over the years.
You could simplify it. If you were an opposing manager which player would you fear most on form this season: Kane or Son? Hands down it's Son for me.

Yup, that's attacking play. Setting up the scorer or assistor. So taking into account all the elements of attacking play of which there are quite a few. Was Son the superior attacker over Kane ?
Winning headers, hold up play, seeing the picture, creating from deep, passing accuracy etc.

Attack is useless if it fails. When you think this through, it's midfielders that get the least attention unless they are making that final pass.

You could simplify it. If you were an opposing manager which player would you fear most on form this season: Kane or Son? Hands down it's Son for me.
Good question but it's not quite as simple as it sounds. Sons goal scoring is fearsome, although he sometimes needs multiple chances to execute eventually. And who provides those chances? Without Kane what is Son ?

Good question but it's not quite as simple as it sounds. Sons goal scoring is fearsome, although he sometimes needs multiple chances to execute eventually. And who provides those chances? Without Kane what is Son ?

Son scored 23, Kane assisted 9. I think it is pretty clear what Son is without Kane. Much like it is pretty clear what Kane is without Son.

Fortunately we have both and they are, officially, the deadliest strike duo in PL history.

We've had votes for best player of the season, best defender etc., But if we had an award that encompassed qualities such as robustness, durability and dependability, surely it would go to PEH?

He played 36 Premier League games this season (48 including cup games). And last season he played every minute of our 38 Premier League matches (53 including cup games). In between those two league campaigns he had a fairly gruelling World Cup campaign with Denmark.

When you think of the demands on midfielders - particularly in a Conte team - it's an incredible testimony to him, particularly when you consider how many players fail in the Premier League because they can't withstand the physical demands. Others, that are here, are just regularly injured.

Having players in the squad that you can rely and depend on is priceless. A player can have all the skill in the world but it's not much value if you can only get him on the pitch for half of the season.

On a match-by-match basis I think I rate him less favourably than most other posters, and I don't see him as a regular starter next season, but he will be a very important squad player and I hope we're not considering selling him, which some reports seem to suggest.

We've had votes for best player of the season, best defender etc., But if we had an award that encompassed qualities such as robustness, durability and dependability, surely it would go to PEH?

He played 36 Premier League games this season (48 including cup games). And last season he played every minute of our 38 Premier League matches (53 including cup games). In between those two league campaigns he had a fairly gruelling World Cup campaign with Denmark.

When you think of the demands on midfielders - particularly in a Conte team - it's an incredible testimony to him, particularly when you consider how many players fail in the Premier League because they can't withstand the physical demands. Others, that are here, are just regularly injured.

Having players in the squad that you can rely and depend on is priceless. A player can have all the skill in the world but it's not much value if you can only get him on the pitch for half of the season.

On a match-by-match basis I think I rate him less favourably than most other posters, and I don't see him as a regular starter next season, but he will be a very important squad player and I hope we're not considering selling him, which some reports seem to suggest.

I agree the minutes played contribution is a factor that's hard to quantify and understand. Durability, dependability and consistency are not as eye catching as assists and goals.