most talented player i've watched in person - def n/g | Page 2 | Vital Football

most talented player i've watched in person - def n/g

I saw Steve Coppell playing for Tranmere against the Gills, he ran our full back George Ley ragged all afternoon.
Saw Ian Rush come on as sub for Chester against us but the outstanding player for me was Kerry Dixon playing for Reading against us before his Chelsea days. Steve Bruce struggled all afternoon against him
Totally agree. He was unplayable.

Giving it a slight Gills twist......In terms of opposition players against us..... Paul Merson playing for Portsmouth once at Priestfield was by far the best opposition player I've seen grace a Gills match!
Best performances gainst us I'd say Teddy Sheringham when he came on as a sub for West Ham, seemed to glide around a very muddy pitch while everyone else looked like they were running through treacle. Also Jesper Gronkjaer was unplayable when Chelsea beat us 4-2 in the FA Cup. Finally a very young Tom Huddlestone playing at centre back for Derby against us.

Having watched England a lot in the past when my boys were younger, there are too many world class players to pick from.

George Best at Coventry City, March 1971.

Tommy Hutchison, numerous times for Coventry. Was at the Arsenal match circa 1973 when he scored a wonder goal that was described by Nick Hornby in "Fever Pitch" as the greatest he had seen.

Thought Zola for Chelsea when we played them in the League Cup was class. So good he looked bad. He passed to where the players should have run but they weren't good enough to realise what to do. Hope that makes sense.

Maradona at Wembley v England 1980. So good they couldn't even get close enough to foul him.

Expanding the thread (great one btw WX)

Another unforgettable performance was Aravinda Da Silva batting against the touring West Indies and their full formidable attack Ambrose and co, at Canterbury, scoring a century in barely two hours. They just didn't know how to bowl to him.

Similarly, back in the 70’s or early 80’s iirc, I went to Canterbury to watch the last day of Kent’s Championship game v Yorkshire. Boycott was immense v Underwood and this young lad got to see two masters at their very best.

Yorkshire were batting on the last day trying to set Kent a target to chase. Boycott was in and spent a lot of the time batting v Underwood. Their tussle was superb. Underwood was probably the premier spinner at the time. But Boycs played all the shots (against his general persona) dancing up n down the wicket cover driving “deadly” and then hitting our (pretty decent) pace attack wherever he liked. He hit a great 100 in pretty quick time before Yorks declared.

And surprisingly he was great entertainment on the third man boundary later in the day chatting with everyone and giving some great insights into the game. Great day.

Last edited:
Messi, a standout in a very good Barcelona team six years ago. He could play passes that other people couldn't even see, and when he ran with it the ball seemed to be glued to his laces.