Most influential book n/g | Page 3 | Vital Football

Most influential book n/g

My wife and I go to Mexico every year and have done so for the last 6 years. In that time I have made an effort to read one "classic" each time. I have to say that reading Robinson Crusoe was really hard work, but the racism in it was awful. I know it of a certain time, but it made me realise just how badly the British treated non-British people in the days of the good old empire.

Not much of a reader to be honest but when I read the first Lance Armstrong book about how he battled cancer and came back to win the Tour so many times I found that incredible and showed just what the human spirit could achieve.

Then he was outed as a fcuking cheat and that ruined everything for me.

Cheers lance you tosser.

As a ten year old I was given a present, a globe on a stand that you could turn.
I was fascinated with it and the first book I asked for was an Atlas, I just wanted to know more about each continent and it set me up for life, travelling and visiting other lands.
Needless to say Geography closely followed by History were my favourite subjects at secondary school.
The world is magnificent, shame that some of the inhabitants cant live in a peaceful way.

As a ten year old I was given a present, a globe on a stand that you could turn.
I was fascinated with it and the first book I asked for was an Atlas, I just wanted to know more about each continent and it set me up for life, travelling and visiting other lands.

I love looking at an Atlas as well Whitstable. Things like Google maps now make it so easy to explore the world in ways that we never could before.

I'd love to take a 3 month road trip through Europe when I retire - so much to see and explore.

I'd love to take a 3 month road trip through Europe when I retire - so much to see and explore.
Just been watching Rick Stein's Hidden France - a favourite TV chef but showing parts of France that I believe are unknown to many is fascinating.

A road trip through Europe somewhat off the beaten track I think could be a winner but it's a huge place from the likes of Estonia, Iberia down to Turkey. Got me thinking now....

Austin Allegro 1981 Owners Workshop Manual by J.H. Haynes - heavily influenced my decision not to get another one - Allegro that is ........

The original Austin Allegro brochure convinced me never to buy one.

Square steering wheel FFS.

No doubt Red Robbo had something to do with that. He would certainly have been involved in ensuring that production was less than efficient.

The original Austin Allegro brochure convinced me never to buy one.

Square steering wheel FFS.

No doubt Red Robbo had something to do with that. He would certainly have been involved in ensuring that production was less than efficient.

I don't think they were bad looking cars , especially the 2-door equipe model. Along side most of the UK manufactures at the time , the build quality was very poor.

I love looking at an Atlas as well Whitstable. Things like Google maps now make it so easy to explore the world in ways that we never could before.

Did all that early seventies in the hippy days along with morocco and north america, trouble is most people cannot then remember any of it lol.

Needless to say Geography closely followed by History were my favourite subjects at secondary school.
The world is magnificent, shame that some of the inhabitants cant live in a peaceful way.

It’s quite sad but I can spend hours on end looking at maps and atlases

At 12, I read Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome. I dreamt of the days of discovery, intrigue and adventure and also longed for the opportunity to visit the Lake District, which I thoroughly enjoyed discovering as an adult.

It’s quite sad but I can spend hours on end looking at maps and atlases
If I have any regrets, it was that I didn't do anything involved in geopolitics. You look at maps and starts thinking about conflicts/religious divides; I've often commented on straight lines in the Middle East drawn by imperialist powers without regard to the consequences.

At 12, I read Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome. I dreamt of the days of discovery, intrigue and adventure and also longed for the opportunity to visit the Lake District, which I thoroughly enjoyed discovering as an adult.

I always thought it was set on the Norfolk Broads but happy to be corrected.

I always thought it was set on the Norfolk Broads but happy to be corrected.
Much of Ransome's earlier life was based in the Lake District and it is where he set quite a few of his novels with the children of his friend. You are correct though, in that he did move to East Anglia and in some of his later adventures the books included maps of the area.

1. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
2. Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky (better than The Idiot or The Brothers Karamazov)
3. The Cherry Orchard, Anton Chekhov

My posthumous apologies to Gogol and Pushkin for not making the final cut