Most bizarre incident in an Imps match | Vital Football

Most bizarre incident in an Imps match

I’ll go for the time the goal collapsed versus Brentford.

Definitely!

Standing in my usual place at the Railway End I had a close-up view when with a cross coming in, several players ended up in the back of the net and brought the crossbar down with them as one of the posts snapped off just above the ground. Losing 2-0 with only four minutes to go the visiting Brentford players surrounded the referee apparently demanding the game be abandoned, but he came on the loudspeaker system to announce the game would resume when the goalposts were replaced. This was eventually done, with even some of the City players helping to string the net up on the new set of posts, fetched from the St Andrews pitch. Although the majority of the crowd had left, after a delay of around forty minutes the remaining time was played out.

Second most bizarre was perhaps the time when Terry Fleming gave his name to the referee as Tony Dennis in order to avoid being sent off for a second booking.

Then there was the half time on pitch team talk with Russell Slade berating his side’s first half performance with the use of a white board. Never seen that before or since. It must have worked as we only scored one in the second half

If fatalities/abandonment are deemed to be explicitly excludable (Bradford & York) the wall collapse versus Stoke was certainly unusual. The delayed arrival/kick-off (v Macclesfield?) when we were updated because the mobile phone number of one the opposition was known was odd. The youngster cycling the terrace/banking at Welling who fell off was a highpoint on a bad night. If weird mascots, Brian Laws & Steve Evans plus refereeing decisions are includable the list becomes long. If travel incidents are includable then Chris Ashton never ceases to mention sitting on a policeman's helmet ( not a euphemism, honestly) after North Ferriby.

Not quite the match itself but good old John Beck getting carted off just before kick off against Orient for his little whisky business 🥃

Also who remembers the Wycombe match where Buster Bloodvessel came on the pitch at half time and started belting out a few numbers. Terrific stuff. 🎵🎶 Less terrific was Bruce Grobbellars performance in goal.

Paul Heaton singing pre match at the KC stadium when the sound system gave up and imps fans sang “ you’re not singing anymore”
I think it may have been the game when we won with a Bimmo pen. Their first defeat at the new stadium

We've also had some quite odd half time cheerleading 'entertainment' over the years. No idea which group it was but one had a very sheepish looking lad amongst the troop who clearly hadn't practiced much with the rest of them

I know this isn't an Imps match but I reckon one of the most bizarre things happened at a match I was watching in Scotland many years ago.

I went to see Hearts play Motherwell at Tyncastle ( My mate lived in Edinburgh). We were sat in the old main stand and at halftime I went to get a drink and a snack. As I was getting to the front this chap came past and said do you want a free Mars Bar as they gave me two by mistake. So I said "oh thank you very much that's nice". As he was handing it over he snatched it back and said " hey your bloody English I am not letting you have it" then walked away. I thought charming oh well never mind. When I got to the front I fancied some chips, choccy bar and a drink. As I was waiting and about to pay this chap appeared next to me again and said " I am really sorry for the way I behaved it was really rude but I was at Murrayfield last weekend when England thrashed us at Rugby" I said" oh don't worry no problem" he said " no it was very bad of me and as a way of apologising I am going to pay for your food" he then gave the lass some money and said he was paying. He then said sorry again shook my hand and walked off. How bizarre was that! :oops:

The half time world record attempt at Agadoo featuring Lincoln and Hull fans. We didn't win The Nobel peace Prize that year for some strange reason.

I can think of 12 bizarre incidents, all involving our prolific goal scoring machine Steve Torpey. He made his debut in the 2007/8 season and then quite incredibly went on to be picked for the 1st team no less than 12 more times! Now that was bizarre.

I think I've mentioned it before on here, but two blokes behind me in the Co-op ended up fighting each other over a disagreement to do with how crap Torpey was. I turned around to see one with his mate's head in an arm-lock punching him in the head and face. I broke it up. I have a feeling they were actually brothers-in-law and both were season-ticket holders. That was quite bizarre.

Last edited:
Fleming's 2 yellows, *that* Goal at Huddersfield and Slade's HT on the pitch stand out for me.

Have we ever been involved in a floodlight failure? I've certainly not seen one, also, what about streakers? quite popular back in the 70 s/80s (say no more), has a slightly less innocent connotation about it these days.

Playing in the 30 aside pre match game at Bourne because the Lincoln team hadn’t turned up.
We’d just arranged a friendly with the Bourne chairman and manager with a Lincoln fan select Xl chosen. When bloody Murphy and the players turned up and ruined it. :grinning:

Have we ever been involved in a floodlight failure? I've certainly not seen one,

Only one I can remember was away at Crewe in October 1966. I wasn't there (!) but as we were leading 1-0 at a time when away wins were few and far between I remember hoping that the result would be allowed to stand. But with only 37 minutes played of course it wasn't and we lost the re-arranged game the following April by 3-0.

On the theme of light failure, the Nannestads' Official History records a total of five matches abandoned due to bad light in the days before floodlights.