More financial problems for some clubs... | Vital Football

More financial problems for some clubs...

mikemiller

Vital Football Hero
Berkshire Today news website has reported that Reading FC have only been able to pay 65% of scheduled staff salaries for this month and will pay the remaining 35% later.... which means that the EFL is now even more unlikely to make a late decision to give them some penalty points back (as happened with one of our neighbouring clubs two seasons ago ). (y)

Also rumours on various fans websites that Leeds United are in financial trouble, and that would be made even worse if they are relegated.

Last edited:
06/05/23

TalkSport football webstie - Situation at Wigan Ath. is that the players with ongoing contracts have now been paid, although several days late. Other staff , playing and non-playing, will be paid as soon as possible after the Coronation Bank Holiday.

12/05/23

BBC Football website - Agreed deadline (11/05/23) for Wigan Ath. FC to pay delayed staff wages has passed , and no payments have been made. The PFA has stepped in to cover the wages of the players affected.

12/05/23

BBC Football website - Agreed deadline (11/05/23) for Wigan Ath. FC to pay delayed staff wages has passed , and no payments have been made. The PFA has stepped in to cover the wages of the players affected.

You just have to feel for their fans don't you. They don't know how they will start next season but I can't see it being on no points to be honest.

You just have to feel for their fans don't you. They don't know how they will start next season but I can't see it being on no points to be honest.
Caz, I don't feel for their fans much at all. The club has been dodgy for years in my opinion. Fans can't bask in the glory of FA Cup wins and then moan when it goes belly up. Too many clubs are cheating financially and I'm sick of it.

Caz, I don't feel for their fans much at all. The club has been dodgy for years in my opinion. Fans can't bask in the glory of FA Cup wins and then moan when it goes belly up. Too many clubs are cheating financially and I'm sick of it.

Fair enough, Lindum. And I know what you are saying. I just feel that it always ends up with fans getting the brunt end of the deal.

Couldn’t agree more with your last sentence, Lindum but I’m not sure what the fans can do about these situations. Supporters have to make the most of the good times. We have been in the depths of despair about the financial state of our club in the past and I remember how helpless we felt.

It's quite a strange thing though.
Derby qualified for the play-offs (one place above us) a few years ago, but it turned out they had cheated in some way (don't know the details).
Our chairman was incensed by the cheating and put in an official complaint.
This all dragged on and on , and ended up being still unresolved towards the back end of last season when they were getting points deducted for other stuff.
A lot of their fans blamed us (our chairman), and really were quite abusive and nasty towards us/him, even 'planning' to cause bother at our match with them last season.
My point is that although a lot of their fans were (wrongly) blaming our chairman for their previous owners rule-breaking, I still wouldn't have liked to see them go under.
Every club has supporters, local people that love their club.
It's always the fans that suffer and I don't think that's fair

17/05/23

TalkSport Radio - Southend United (now in the National League) have been given 53 days to pay their tax debts, or the club will be wound up.

This is the club that signed Jamal Campbell-Ryce from us in 2006, then had problems in paying what had been agreed. Nothing much has changed!

Statement from Wigan Athletic FC - all staff have now been paid what they were owed.

Last edited:
Don't like to see clubs fold but, as Mike says, Southend have been scraping money together for around seventeen years, and that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

19/05/23

TalkSport Radio - Wigan Athletic have been deducted four points from the start of next season for failing to pay their staff on time , a few weeks ago. They have also got a further 4 points deduction, suspended to the end of next season, if they break the rules again.

They will probably be outbidding us for players again though, as usual. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We used to play Southend quite a lot in 1970s-1990s in Div.3 When I first saw them they played I think in a Chelsea strip of all blue with white socks but later had blue shirts and yellow shorts. I have a vague feeling I considered them a bit of a bogey team in 1980s and 1990s?
What can you say about Wigan? Didn't they grab Watford's Ashley Fletcher from us last year. It still rankles with me that we let them win the title and I have nightmares still about MKD at home. Grrr.

Been to see the Millers play at Southend several times. Don't think I have seen us win there. First visit was in Sept 1988 - we lost 0-3. Think they played in all blue shirts/shorts. They were considering moving out of Roots Hall even back then.... but they are still there. Probably due to financial problems. According to the Southend Echo newspaper, they owe £250000 in unpaid tax.

Didn't go to our 3-2 FA Cup win against them at Millmoor in 1966 - I was expecting the game to be postponed due to the fog! Seen us beat them in home games a few times since.

MKD game that you refer to also exposed Warney's tactical limitations - everybody back defending our own penalty area, when we were comfortably winning and the opposition were down to ten men. It almost cost us promotion. He had his good points, but...

Last edited:
Been a couple of times to Southend, one was a night game and I remember Alex Revell scoring. Think we won that one. The last one I went to Ryan Cresswell was playing for them and it was a draw.

22/05/23

Various sources are reporting that Sheffield United are struggling to pay players their promotion bonuses, and despite the Premier League money coming in, their budget for 2023/24 could be quite limited.

22/05/23

Various sources are reporting that Sheffield United are struggling to pay players their promotion bonuses, and despite the Premier League money coming in, their budget for 2023/24 could be quite limited.

Not a good start for their Premier League furture.

26/05/23

TalkSport Radio just reported that Wigan Athletic will now start next season in L1 on minus-eight points, after failing to pay into a fund to cover their finances for wages, etc, that was required by the EFL to make sure WAFC players and staff were paid on time.

I'm still expecting them to be outbidding us for players though.:p

Last edited: