Monday “Did That Really Happen?” Gills Reminiscing/Questions | Page 2 | Vital Football

Monday “Did That Really Happen?” Gills Reminiscing/Questions

I’m towards my late 30s but to me the Rolling Stones seem more accessible to me.

I enjoy listening to the Beatles and accept that they were massive in their time, and influenced so many superstars since.

But at the same time if feels to me like I’m listening to something from the 60s. The Rolling Stones sound like something from the 80s onwards.

Sorry, can't be having that. Can't seriously deny their influence and quality, whatever one's personal preference in music.

Anyway, the greatest band of all time are, of course, Led Zeppelin, as I'm sure you would agree.
:giggle:
...until the Pistols made them both irrelevant😁

Ironic that the Beatles were influenced by 50s and 60s rock and roll whereas Stones got their sound from the blues. White boys popularising music of black origin for a western audience.
I like both bands but then I love original old blues and early rock and roll as well.

Sorry, can't be having that. Can't seriously deny their influence and quality, whatever one's personal preference in music.

Anyway, the greatest band of all time are, of course, Led Zeppelin, as I'm sure you would agree.
:giggle:
Didn’t Led Zep once play an impromptu gig at the QH? You probably missed it though 58, last seen walking about hunting for said establishment.

Of course, the thinking man’s pop band was the Spencer Davis Group, powered by that musical genius, Muff Winwood. Wonder what happened to his little brother, Stevie, after he left?

M
Me too. Ya bloody musical philistine😁
Sex Pistols were a temporary money making machine for Malcolm McClaren whose atonal 'music' required little or no playing ability. Punk was an outlet for exuberant expectorationists and, like Mr Rotten himself, most will have become middle class homeowners far from the music scene.

Sex Pistols were a temporary money making machine for Malcolm McClaren whose atonal 'music' required little or no playing ability. Punk was an outlet for exuberant expectorationists and, like Mr Rotten himself, most will have become middle class homeowners far from the music scene.
Absolutely, cash from chaos and all that, but their influence, musically and politically, was immense. I would argue with you about musical ability, but I understand why you would think/say that. Lydon knows how to wind people up and he does it superbly. He still makes music, btw, with PiL. If he has turned middle class, good luck to him. A just reward for all the shit he had to put up with from the Police and the whiny, angry middle classes. Y'know the ones ; "It's not proper music like the Beatles". There were loads of us, without musical ability, that got up on stage, me included, and had a go at being creative. Was the music shit? Yep! It was a lot of fun though. You should have tried it.

It's only rock and roll...

Absolutely, cash from chaos and all that, but their influence, musically and politically, was immense. I would argue with you about musical ability, but I understand why you would think/say that. Lydon knows how to wind people up and he does it superbly. He still makes music, btw, with PiL. If he has turned middle class, good luck to him. A just reward for all the shit he had to put up with from the Police and the whiny, angry middle classes. Y'know the ones ; "It's not proper music like the Beatles". There were loads of us, without musical ability, that got up on stage, me included, and had a go at being creative. Was the music shit? Yep! It was a lot of fun though. You should have tried it.
Yep it had value for loads of you 'without musical ability" ( your words not mine). I was already too old for punk and anyway playing in bands where musical ability was regarded as something of a prime requirement.
To draw a comparison Punk was kids kicking a tin can around on waste ground so why would any footballer want to give up 11 a-side, league football with changing rooms, goalposts /nets and a proper playing surface for that ?

Yep it had value for loads of you 'without musical ability" ( your words not mine). I was already too old for punk and anyway playing in bands where musical ability was regarded as something of a prime requirement.
To draw a comparison Punk was kids kicking a tin can around on waste ground so why would any footballer want to give up 11 a-side, league football with changing rooms, goalposts /nets and a proper playing surface for that ?
Punk was a reaction to kids not having any music they could call their own by the mid 70s. Old men in bow-ties choosing who mimed on TOTP. Middle aged djs playing middle of the road songs from a list prepared by older men in suits with no musical ability of their own.
Rap and Hip Hop similarly evolved from the youth communities who had no music to call their own.
It's a mistake to belittle or be snobbish about any music that you don't like. It's just not for you.

Last edited: