Modern football- what "unwavering support" is worth | Page 2 | Vital Football

Modern football- what "unwavering support" is worth

The two main differences are the lack of Kante and their pre-season 'bonding' session in Thailand. I reckon that's enough for most teams to go from champions to relegation fodder.

payola1980 - 24/2/2017 13:20

Sorry but i think he should've been sacked weeks ago. Great achievement to win the league last season, but how can the league champions be looking at getting relegated the very next season?

The same players apart from kante? Nothing short of embarrassing and the buck stops with the manager, always has, always will.

Look at us when we won the league? I'm drawing the comparison because the media were comparing both achievements. The season after we were champions we finished runnners up to Liverpool, not in a relegation battle!

Sorry but Leicester are well equipped with those players to be finishing mid table at worst this season, so they clearly arent responding to ranieri anymore. He had to go before its too late.

We did sign some class players though, like Trevor Francis. Worth more than all of Leicester's post-title signings put together

Ranieri speaks:

Sad

"After the euphoria of last season and being crowned champions, all I dreamt of was staying with Leicester. Sadly this was not to be," Ranieri said.

"The adventure was amazing and will live with me forever. My heartfelt thanks to everybody at the club, everybody who was part of what we achieved, but mostly to the supporters.

"You took me into your hearts from day one and loved me. I love you too.

"No-one can ever take away what we achieved together and I hope you think about it and smile every day the way I always will.

"It was a time of wonderfulness and happiness that I will never forget. It's been a pleasure and an honour to be a champion with all of you."

Just about every club that finds themselves in that position in the PL sack their manager. Why would Leicester be any different?
Yes, he performed miracles last season, so that bought him a little more time.
However, he has the same team bar one player and also spent a fortune in the summer on largely crap players.
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Maybe a reality check for the likes of Savage who were proclaiming that their achievement eclipsed ours. One year on from winning the league we finished second behind Liverpool (mainly because we knocked them out of the EC in the 1st round leaving them free to concentrate on the league, while our lads had the EC games and the LC games to fit in, on a City Ground which had no time to recover between games and became a mudbath).

And we won the League Cup for the second year running, and won the European Cup. Nan has pointed out we signed Trevor Francis, but apart from him and David Needham I can't think of any additions to the squad. Most players played over 60 games that second season.

A shame for Ranieri but he had more resources than Clough had back then.

pebble - 24/2/2017 23:03

Maybe a reality check for the likes of Savage who were proclaiming that their achievement eclipsed ours. One year on from winning the league we finished second behind Liverpool (mainly because we knocked them out of the EC in the 1st round leaving them free to concentrate on the league, while our lads had the EC games and the LC games to fit in, on a City Ground which had no time to recover between games and became a mudbath).

And we won the League Cup for the second year running, and won the European Cup. Nan has pointed out we signed Trevor Francis, but apart from him and David Needham I can't think of any additions to the squad. Most players played over 60 games that second season.

A shame for Ranieri but he had more resources than Clough had back then.

1979 was a high scoring year as well I think I remember reading. Our points total in finishing 2nd would have won the league most seasons

I don't remember Reading being that good then chap.It was the likes of Ipswich, Villa and Liverpool who were our competition.

Personally i think it's very sad and kinda shows the lack of empathy and loyalty in todays society, not just football. From begrudging respect and support for them to hoping they do down and the owners suffer.
I dont know how the fans feel, I suspect yer regular joe is going to feel the same as I do. Id rather be lower down the order and humble, not trampling over things to get higher, its just morals, self respect and dignity in reality,Again, its not just footie..
Look at some of our own crowd, continually slagging off the club and thinking they have a right to certain success or standards, when in fact they dont, all they have is the right to pay and attend or not, All other shit is self obsessed drivel

Rumour is Ranieri has donated half of his 3m payoff to the Foxes Foundation Charity

Also that he had a favourite Italian restaurant in Leicester that he took the players to whenever they got a clean sheet

After he was sacked he went there without the players, had a meal on his own then as he got up to leave he got a standing ovation on way out of restaurant from the guests and staff

I hope those rumours are both true

Jimmy Gordon - 27/2/2017 20:18

Rumour is Ranieri has donated half of his 3m payoff to the Foxes Foundation Charity

Also that he had a favourite Italian restaurant in Leicester that he took the players to whenever they got a clean sheet

After he was sacked he went there without the players, had a meal on his own then as he got up to leave he got a standing ovation on way out of restaurant from the guests and staff

Nice...

In other news Leicester just spanked Liverpool 3-1 without him. They will finish comfortably mid table. With raneri in charge they would've been battered again tonight.

payola1980 - 27/2/2017 23:11

Nice...

In other news Leicester just spanked Liverpool 3-1 without him. They will finish comfortably mid table. With raneri in charge they would've been battered again tonight.

Liverpool were staggeringly bad though. That first goal they gifted Leicester was an absolute disgrace

payola1980 - 27/2/2017 22:11

Nice...

It's an odd business, Raneri has proved his worth as a manager and then it all goes pear shaped. What a life.