Mince Pies | Page 2 | Vital Football

Mince Pies

Impressed you heated, I am guessing Costa wont do that. ?
I like a warm croissant with butter and jam too. My local BP M+S dont provide that. I am guessing Costa dont either ?

Well today I had a Starbucks mince pie and now have to admit that enjoyed it more than the costa one! And best of all, it's bloody big.

I think, for now, it's my favourite, tomorrow I will try a cafe Nero and see what that one's like.

Well today I had a Starbucks mince pie and now have to admit that enjoyed it more than the costa one! And best of all, it's bloody big.

I think, for now, it's my favourite, tomorrow I will try a cafe Nero and see what that one's like.

Good to see you are taking this seriously Ex. I mean ...the things we do to keep this forum informed, it's never ending.
Can you describe the eating experience of Costa and Starbucks. Pastry and filling ?

I like a mince pie guys but am no expert like your good selves. However I have found it makes many paranoid. I find cheap is best and cheerful on many occasions and cannot justify extra expense to get a product which purports to be better based on supposed reputation or cost....food snobbery does my head in, "just cos its from Waitrose etc"..... Sainsbury's deep filled at a £1 for six does me. Must add I by nature am Savoury man not Sweet man, so I can take or leave cakes sweets desserts etc...give me more chicken for dessert!

and....
Why didn't Santa get any mince pies on Christmas?

Because it was stollen.

and...

Who hides in the bakery at Christmas?
A mince spy

Last edited:
Good to see you are taking this seriously Ex. I mean ...the things we do to keep this forum informed, it's never ending.
Can you describe the eating experience of Costa and Starbucks. Pastry and filling ?

The costa one I found smooth, with a nice twang to it, the Starbucks' was well filled even though it was big and the pastry was as pastry should be, short, it tasted spicy and did remind me of Xmas as I ate it.

In the meantime, it looks like even the liberal elite are getting in on this act!:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...te-test?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Shortly I will be having a break and my Cafe Nero experience, tough as it is, I'll let you know how I get on - perhaps we could have a poll on the best one and share this far and wide across vital - they don't know what they're missing! (Except greavsie of course - God help us!)

Last edited:
Exciting news , I bought some Spar Luxury pies today and will be reporting on them later. They have come high up on ratings this year. For Greavsie's benefit I noticed some Mr Kipling 12 packs. You get 4 brandy , 4 orange zest and 4 deep fill all in one pack. Being low end they may appeal to Greavsie but Kipling got a third place in one test so might be exceedingly good this year.

Too late Nick, home delivery brought the cheapo Sainsburys pies this week! You must be some fat b'stard eating and critiquing all those pies as you type into posts on this site....enjoy!

1606586253565.png

Last edited:
Exciting news , I bought some Spar Luxury pies today and will be reporting on them later. They have come high up on ratings this year. For Greavsie's benefit I noticed some Mr Kipling 12 packs. You get 4 brandy , 4 orange zest and 4 deep fill all in one pack. Being low end they may appeal to Greavsie but Kipling got a third place in one test so might be exceedingly good this year.

Not a good rating from me for Spar luxury. Too much pastry, not enough or tasty filling. Pastry was dense and not crumbly enough.
5 out of 10.

Have a coffee and mince pie from Costa which I did today; they are outstanding.

I am going to buy six tomorrow and freeze them as the head food technologist there tells me they'll freeze perfectly well and they're so expensive because they believe they have the best in the business and after today, so do I !!
I would second this. Their pies are amongst the very best i've ever eaten.

Just had an artisan mincepie from my local artisan bakery, #1.50 each, so not so cheap, but I have now ended my search, not too sweet, big filling, beautiful pastry, freshly baked everyday.

Just eaten with my mid-morning coffee. Utterly wonderful. One drawback, I was there at 8:30 and almost all that he had baked had been sold and was told he's not going to do anymore than he is doing now, so could be scramble in the mornings from now on!

Last edited:
As Nick the 'font'; of mince pie knowledge did not answer my earlier query I had a look up of the history of the development of the Christmas Mince pie.

As I am a savoury man I would prefer the historical GEN 1 of mince pies evolution i.e savoury or mutton pie which was a mixture of meat suet and fruits/spices such as cinnamon cloves nutmeg etc. courtesy of the Crusaders bringing the idea back from the middle East. Almost a main and desert in one fowl swoop.

Victorians evolved GEN 2 generation 2 did not have meat but had suet and fruits, then GEN 3 what you guys are discussing...i,e the modern era.

GEN 1 por moi

I had to pick up 2 prints from Northampton and was a bit early so diverted to a Costa. I asked for one mince pie and will be sampling tonight half each with the missus. At 2 quid each it's to share heated up with cream alongside as Asda bakery one. Its interesting sampling two types at the same time, the comparison is more defined.
First impression is that it's not as big as expected.

As Nick the 'font'; of mince pie knowledge did not answer my earlier query I had a look up of the history of the development of the Christmas Mince pie.

As I am a savoury man I would prefer the historical GEN 1 of mince pies evolution i.e savoury or mutton pie which was a mixture of meat suet and fruits/spices such as cinnamon cloves nutmeg etc. courtesy of the Crusaders bringing the idea back from the middle East. Almost a main and desert in one fowl swoop.

Victorians evolved GEN 2 generation 2 did not have meat but had suet and fruits, then GEN 3 what you guys are discussing...i,e the modern era.

GEN 1 por moi

I didnt answer because I didnt know and thought it best to allow the learning to be spread and participated in. As you are led by price perhaps the insight into the ingredients might convince you it's what goes into the pie that makes it what it is. The content and quality will affect the eating experience. You pay your money and make the choice.
If you pay a lot you expect a lot. High end or Artisan. This is really about the best , the best at a price that is acceptable and the worst to steer clear of at any price.

Maybe I got a duff example but the Costa pie was a real let down. Both pastry and filling, or lack of it !! The Asda instore bakery I had alongside was way better and the Gregg's are better than Asda instore bakery ones.
Costalot rip off.