Milwall under floodlights!!! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Milwall under floodlights!!!

SteveTreacle - 4/10/2016 18:47

Fair point re the suspensions and it's not a bad call to play Donnelly who will be out for three games now. Good call to play Wright and Herd given their lack of games, but can't comprehend why we are playing Ehmer, Deji, Osadebe, Jackson and Nelson - absolute madness if you ask me.

Donnelly's ban is only 2 games I think it said on Kent Online the other day - So Oldham and Bristol Rovers

Unbelievable! playing really well, winning 1 - 0, and Nelson gives away another goal.
Can't we get everyone playing well at the same time.

Respect to those who went. The EFL or B teams didn't ruin the competition, the clubs who started fielding weakened teams ruined it. The EFL have been experimenting with the trophy for years to rekindle the excitement. I disagree with B teams in the same way I disagree with group stages, but I never wanted goal music too. It doesn't mean I'll boycott it. Having read the statements by clubs for and against the redesign I'm confident we won't see B teams in the EFL, so I find the boycott by people who probably wouldn't be going to the game anyway as pointless.

Do away with the competition and instead make the EFL cup EFL only. Otherwise experiment it to the max and merge the first few rounds of both competitions with possibly added league points too. If you don't get past the first few rounds then you're out of both competitions. The key should've been to cutting down the amount of games rather than increasing them, and spacing out the midweek games more evenly throughout the season.

Positives:

I actually enjoyed the game and thought we generally played well with some thoughtful build up play. Way better than the dross at Wimbledon and home to Coventry. Herd fitted in well given it was his first game. Best I've seen us play since early this year (admit I only go to about half the games). We were all over Millwall who I thought were absolutely terrible. In spite of their win, I would not be happy if I were a knuckledragger. Good performances from Hess and Wright, I'm pleased to say. List showed promise and was given more opportunities than on Saturday as he was able to run on to through balls and use his pace.

Negatives:

Yet another cock up by Nelson who attempted a ridiculous punch when he should have caught it. This was the last move of the half and somehow I just knew they'd score even though they hadn't been remotely near causing any danger in the first 45 minutes. I could not bear to stay for his trip up to our end after we lost to witness his chest pumping to the fans. If he punched the ball as hard as he punches his chest, they wouldn't have scored. Why wasn't Hadler given a chance? Was this an opportunity for Nelson to practice his cock-ups in an unimportant match!

Pretty build up play but no cutting edge. They run out of ideas when they get to the penalty area. Powder puff up front. I don't know how much of it is lack of creativity in front of goal or the forwards being useless. Donnelly ran around but seems totally ineffective. My mate noted that the game seems to pass him by. Don't remember him winning a single header in the second half (apart from when he fouled). Basically, we do not appear to have a forward line. From a good move in the second half we blasted over a golden chance (think it was Knott - unsure though) which I caught half way up the Upper tier! Could have passed the ball into the net.

We seem guaranteed to ship at least one bad goal EVERY game. In the end, the reason Millwall won was down to one of their forwards showing natural goal scoring ability. The sort of goal our forwards never seem to score. If we had any one of Millwall's 3 good forwards we'd be OK

Overll I enjoyed the evening in spite of the result but if this was the league I'd be seriously p#ssed off. We are doomed to struggle unless we cut out the bad goals and find someone who can score. Donnelly isn't the answer to the second problem.

What's happened with JET? Has the experiment totally failed? A shame; if JED could get him to show some interest for about 20 minutes each match we would at least solve the goal scoring problem. If you look at our goal scorer list it shows JET - 7 and Ehmer 3, The rest a max of 1. JET hardly plays and Ehmer's a centre half, so what does that say about our forwards?!!!!

What is Byrne for? We have loads of midfielders yet he regularly plays ahead the likes of Hess. Scored a great goal at Watford and has done nothing since IMHO.

To those that went (about 150-200 I reckon), have I read the game correctly?

Thanks for the report 58 - I wasn't there, but it seems nicely balanced.

I make you spot on about Nelson. I said before, I couldn't understand why he was playing. Firstly, there was a chance he'd get injured or play himself back in to bad form with another howler (which he did). And secondly, surely it was an ideal opportunity to see what Hadler's made of - with injuries or form, he may well be needed this season.

Also, interesting general comments about Byrne. Personally from what I've seen, both Byrne and Knott (who have both had a couple of decent moments), generally strike me as the "no better than we have (or had)" types. Both run around a lot and have good energy, but can't really see that either bring any more to the party than young Hess who has been outcast or Morris - OK, he's injured, but both players were brought in before he was injured (I believe). I personally hope we start playing with no more than 2 of Wright/Hess/Knott/Byrne in midfield in future and have at least two of Dack/Osadebe/Wagstaff, if fit, of course, who add either more quality or more ability to get forward.

Also, does any one know when Bond, Dack, Wagstaff and Cody are fit? They should all walk straight back in.

It looked as if Millwall played a decent side. I can really see this being a Sheff Utd situation - a good on paper team, who are in terrible form and confidence who we have gifted a win and played into form and confidence.

Reading JEds angry post match comments it seems certain Nelson will be dropped as soon as he possibly can be. He praised Herd, Hess, Wright, Donnelly and Deji but clearly was not happy with at least one other who may also have played his way out of contention. Nor sure who that was and dont want to name my guess.

Byrne has been involved in a high percentage of our goals. His form in the last few weeks has not been as good as the start of the season, but overall I think he has been one of our better players.

Oranjeboom - 5/10/2016 11:01

Byrne has been involved in a high percentage of our goals. His form in the last few weeks has not been as good as the start of the season, but overall I think he has been one of our better players.

To be fair, and I agreed with 58's comments about him, I was also impressed with him stepping in to the holding midfield role v Cov and he actually did a lot better their than Wright. However, I still think without Dack (or when he's not performing), we chronically lack creativity in midfield - I haven't seen too much from Byrne or Knott to suggest they add anything more than young Hess. Osadebe has got something about him and can get forward, but so often he is slotting in to other positions; Wagstaff hasn't got Dack's skill or creativity but can certainly get forward, so let's hope when he is fit (and stays fit), he can maybe help out Dack and the forwards more.

I read JED's comments as meaning that if it wasn't for all the injuries, one or two players would be dumped permanently. Nelson must be one of them - after that, take your pick!

I think that's harsh on Byrne. He's been one of our better signings in my opinion. Good energy, and an intelligent player who can play defensively and offensively, with a good eye for a pass.

Knott is technically very good, far better on the ball than Jake Hess will ever be. I think Jake needs to forge a career elsewhere. Decent enough player, but totally anonymous too often.

I think our poor form is simply down to the fact we've been ravaged by injuries. No club could cope with what we've had. 3 players injured in pre season, 2 for the entirety of the season. Then another loan player ruled out for the season. Wagstaff, who was due to be an integral member of the squad, injured and not fully up to speed. Dack, by far and away our best player the same. Jackson in and out the team due to injury. McDonald, first choice striker, injured. Keeper bought in to be number 1 injured. Konchesky missed a few games. It's ridiculous. How can a manager get any consistency when an injury crisis like this occurs? Let's cut him some slack and judge him when he can out his first XI out.

Papa I think you are right. I`m quite happy to catch everyone napping after Xmas and be top tortoise rather than last year`s hopeful hare !

PapaBurgundy - 5/10/2016 11:50
Let's cut him some slack and judge him when he can out his first XI out.

Agreed. And let them have a few matches playing together.

If we're in the bottom 6 come the first of January then there may be need to make a significant change but there are a lot of points to play for between then and now :5:

The problem is, a lot of the problems we have had this season are basically the same issues we were having towards the end of last.

John_Knee - 5/10/2016 12:21

The problem is, a lot of the problems we have had this season are basically the same issues we were having towards the end of last.
The key, like last season, is midfield. Stick some wide players in there and be ruthless in cutting a big name central midfielder or two, so that the 1 or 3 man central midfield work together and do their jobs.

Let's be fair John, the 'issues' that we had at the back end of last season was due to the fact our 2 best players by a million miles in Dack and Egan missed massive parts of it. 3 months or so if I remember correctly. Take the 2 best players out of any team and they'll struggle massively, especially ones at League One level. Dack was in the form of his life, our main source of goals and creativity (which both dried up when he was out the side) and Egan who's gone on to establish himself at a championship team who'll be fighting for promotion, notching a few goals along the way.
The first half, or even three quarters, of last season was not a fluke. Think of how we were and the quality of football under Taylor and even Allen at this level. Edinburgh is a top manager at this level. He's been dealt a particularly raw deal with injuries this season, we just need a settled side.

I agree to an extend, Papa. The injuries aren't great. However, we are not alone on this front - we just notice our injuries more than other teams who we don't follow - for instance, before the Chesterfield game, I read a preview and they had more players out than us, so it's part of the game and something that a manager needs to factor in and deal with.

I would have thought, after the end of last season and our demise, which was partly due to injuries to key players as you suggest, JED would have learnt lessons and prepared (and put in a plan B) for situations where we are missing players - sadly we again don't seem to do that and are relying on injuries to clear up. I am afraid, you can't go through a season hoping that you don't have injuries. As the division is tight, it may well be the best managers who cope with this that succeed as all teams will have injuries and most will have injury crises at some stage or stages.

PapaBurgundy - 5/10/2016 13:59

Let's be fair John, the 'issues' that we had at the back end of last season was due to the fact our 2 best players by a million miles in Dack and Egan missed massive parts of it. 3 months or so if I remember correctly. Take the 2 best players out of any team and they'll struggle massively, especially ones at League One level. Dack was in the form of his life, our main source of goals and creativity (which both dried up when he was out the side) and Egan who's gone on to establish himself at a championship team who'll be fighting for promotion, notching a few goals along the way.
The first half, or even three quarters, of last season was not a fluke. Think of how we were and the quality of football under Taylor and even Allen at this level. Edinburgh is a top manager at this level. He's been dealt a particularly raw deal with injuries this season, we just need a settled side.

There is one flaw in your reasoning, we actually had 6 clean sheets scored more points, won more games when those 2 were out injured.
Jed was forced to change the set up of the team and it worked, once they were back Jed reverted to his losing formula.