Milton Keynes Dons (h): What 3 Things Do The Imps Need To Do To Win? | Vital Football

Milton Keynes Dons (h): What 3 Things Do The Imps Need To Do To Win?

1. Ditch the 4-3-3 and get someone closer to Morton. For the majority of this season the 4-3-3 system we have operated has without doubt been successful. That system though depends upon a particular style of striker employed in the number 9 role. You need someone who has the ability to play with his back to the goal, the ability to hold the ball up and give other players the chance to get into position to cause the opponents problems and to have the physicality to compete with strong central defenders. That player in our squad is Tom Hopper. Callum Morton is a decent striker, but his game is not the same as Hopper. He is a very different style of striker who thrives upon running onto through balls or working alongside another striker. On Saturday in the first half he struggled to get involved in the game, yet once another player was deployed closer to him, the whole team looked far more dangerous.

2. Play Rogers more centrally. I often read on the threads that posters suggest that Rogers needs to do more in games. His contributions during a match very often are spectacular if sporadic. He has scored some tremendous goals and you can tell that once he gets on the ball he has the ability to make something happen. He can though be isolated when deployed wide on the left and several minutes of action can easily bypass him. So is it time to try him in a different part of the pitch?. If you need someone to get closer to and support Morton I think that he could be that player. He will see more of the ball in a number 10 role, just behind Morton. He looks physically capable of mixing it up with central defenders. I think he is wasted wide left, quite similar to how we don't get the best out of Jorge Grant when he is played there. Get him playing centrally

3. Pressure them at the back. Every team now likes to play out from the back. Every team has the ability to make a mistake from this tactic. I haven't seen much of MK this season, but recall that in the game at their place back in September they seemed to quite often struggle to get this tactic right. If we close them down from their goal kicks I think we can force them into making mistakes. This is another reason why we need more than just Morton up front