Millers managers who have scored against the Millers as players? | Vital Football

Millers managers who have scored against the Millers as players?

mikemiller

Vital Football Hero
Not counting own goals.
Got one (slightly surprising) "definite" so far. Two or three more possibilities, that I need to check. Any ideas?

I have possibles.
Mick Harford perhaps in late 1970s for Lincoln City?
Tom Johnston scored a good few for Notts County in late 1940s/early 1950s and we played them quite often?
Jim McAnearney possibly? Plymouth, Owls, Bradford.
Jimmy McGuigan? Less likely as we didn't play much against Stockport or Crewe during his playing days. But possible.

Last edited:
Jimmy McGuigan definitely played against the Millers, but I don't think he scored a goal. Didn't consider Tom Johnston.

The ones I thought were more likely were Cusack, McEwan, Docherty, Porterfield and Moore. Docherty definitely played against us (Arsenal, FA Cup), think McAnearney, Cusack and McEwan did too - can't find any goals scored though. Not sure that Ronnie ever played against the Millers, same for Porterfield.

The only one that I have confirmed so far is GEORGE KERR, for Bury at Millmoor, Division Two , 25th March 1966. We won 2-1. I was at the game, but can't remember much about it.

Last edited:
What about Redfearn at Doncaster Rovers? We played them a few times in those days.
I can't find details of scorers for many games and can't remember often even when I watched the match! I shall have to investigate this further.

Correct (just checked). Didn't play against us for Charlton or Bradford City either.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Update... Confirmed - NEIL REDFEARN scored a goal for Bolton Wanderers v the Millers at Burnden Park , Division Three, 24/09/83. I was at the match! We lost 0-2. (I had forgotten that he had played for Bolton). Can we add any other names?

Redfearn and Cusack played at least three times each for Donny against us in the 1986/7 season. Trying to check if they scored.

Last edited:
I think that JOHN McGOVERN was officially our joint-manager. He scored against us for Nottingham Forest ( League Cup, 1st Round, 1st Leg) at Millmoor on 19/08/75. We lost 1-2. I was at the match.

I didn't go to the 2nd Leg - we lost 1-5.

I'm counting him as number three! Did Archie Gemmill ever score against us? (Not found anything).

Phil Henson played against the Millers several times, but I don't think that he ever scored.

Last edited:
You were correct, Lindum... found number four - MICK HARFORD. Scored two for Lincoln City against the Millers in a 3-3 draw at Sincil Bank, 24/03/78.
Well done, Mike. I had tried to find the Lincoln scorers in that match but failed.

Warney? He must have played against the Millers several times. Don't remember him scoring, but he might have done.
Matt Taylor must have played against the Millers (for Exeter City), but I don't think that he scored.
Tommy Docherty may have scored against us for Preston N.E. , although he rarely put the ball in the net.
Haven't found any goalscoring information on Tom Johnston. He was a winger/inside forward though , so likely to have scored against us.

Last edited:
Update - You were right, Lindum ... Redfearn scored twice against us for Donny at Belle Vue (Div 3 game, 01/01/87). We lost 0-3. Cusack also played in that game, but didn't score - still haven't found any games in which Cusack scored against us for Donny , Owls or Millwall.

Last edited:
Finally tracked down another one... Number five - TOM JOHNSTON did score against the Millers for Notts County . (You were correct, Lindum! ).It was in a 1-1 draw at Millmoor on 17/09/55. He doesn't appear to have scored against us in any other matches. (Thanks to RUFC historian Garry Bray for the information).

Finally tracked down another one... Number five - TOM JOHNSTON did score against the Millers for Notts County . (You were correct, Lindum! ).It was in a 1-1 draw at Millmoor on 17/09/55. He doesn't appear to have scored against us in any other matches. (Thanks to RUFC historian Garry Bray for the information).
Well Done, Mike!