Millennials getting bad press? | Vital Football

Millennials getting bad press?

col8

Vital Football Legend
Almost three-quarters of millennials admit they have no idea how to change a tyre, a study has found.

A poll of 2,000 drivers revealed that while almost half of those aged 36 and above could confidently change a wheel at the side of the road, just 27 per cent of 18-23-year-olds reckon they could do the same.

More than a third of millennials also admitted they would struggle to confidently open a car bonnet while 34 per cent don’t know what power steering does.

And only half of under-35s, polled by TV show Flipping Bangers, know how to check and top up the oil level on their car.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...car-maintenance-diy-rewire-plug-a8288211.html

It might be these days, I took mine 25 years ago and nothing about it in those days.

Either way, it's pretty embarrassing stuff isn't it? I'm surprised many of them can wipe their own arse. Assuming they can... :eek!:

Sir Dennis Jnr is currently learning to drive , but to my knowledge they haven't done anything mechanical etc.

I don't think the theory element covers it either.

I wonder if life has been too sheltered for some of the sons and daughters of the Thatcher generation. Too busy in the virtual world to find out about the real one? Frustratingly, I have to work hard at encouraging my 16 year old twin daughters to develop their independence and confidence.

Why would an 18 year old with no chance of owning a car need to know how to change a tyre?

The young have really been dumped on by the old in Britain and most of the developed world.

Most of us owned bangers as young adults and figured out how to do all of that stuff because we had to. Young adults don't own bangers because they can't afford the insurance, tax, MOT AND petrol. They have been royally screwed and then get slagged off because all they have left is their PlayStation.

Why would an 18 year old with no chance of owning a car need to know how to change a tyre?

The young have really been dumped on by the old in Britain and most of the developed world.

Most of us owned bangers as young adults and figured out how to do all of that stuff because we had to. Young adults don't own bangers because they can't afford the insurance, tax, MOT AND petrol. They have been royally screwed and then get slagged off because all they have left is their PlayStation.

That's a bleak view of the world, BB.

And entirely accurate :rotfl:

I remember my Dad always having the bonnet up with our car or his 'toy' his Triumph Spitfire.

I guess it's the modern cars nowadays, all electronic and computer based. Plug it in at a garage and it will tell you what's wrong. People don't 'tinker' with cars now I suppose. In fact, there is no such thing as a spare tyre now. Just a can of foam that won't work on a tyre with more than a 1/2 mm hole!.

Hope you're not calling me old BB, I'm only 56 years young lol :eek!:

Some sympathy with the plight of the millenials but would amend the statement to the poor have been dumped on by the weathy. Life's always been difficult for those on low wages. Even in my youth, I worked through all my holidays for two years in order to buy and run my first ten year old banger. Ten years later in my late 20s, I worked two jobs for three years in order to afford my first mortgage. Couldn't afford to watch the Villa for more than a few times a season for years.
As I tell my daughters, unless you're wealthy, in the words of the Beastie Boys, "you gotta fight for your right to parteee!"

I don't drive as some might know, but last time my old man replaced his motor he wasn't give a spare tire, he got some glue injection bollocks to tide over on the theory of 'get to a garage' and let them deal with it.

I imagine that's the message to most thesedays.

And 90% of people over 35 can't use any technology what so ever but thats none of my business :fish:

I don't drive as some might know, but last time my old man replaced his motor he wasn't give a spare tire, he got some glue injection bollocks to tide over on the theory of 'get to a garage' and let them deal with it.

I imagine that's the message to most thesedays.

Some of the German manufacturers seal their gearboxes so that you can't change the oil yourself.

As cars become more and more complex, tinkering under the bonnet becomes an increasingly bad idea.

Funny because I don't know a single 17 year old who hasn't had driving lessons and owns a car. In fact I am absolutely certain that car ownership in the young is at its highest ever. The 20 year old next door has just bought an Audi S3 for £20000. When his mum suggested he saved for a deposit for a house he just laughed. He would rather have a fast car and live at home paying nothing for the privilege.

Funny because I don't know a single 17 year old who hasn't had driving lessons and owns a car. In fact I am absolutely certain that car ownership in the young is at its highest ever. The 20 year old next door has just bought an Audi S3 for £20000. When his mum suggested he saved for a deposit for a house he just laughed. He would rather have a fast car and live at home paying nothing for the privilege.

And why not, after spunking £20,000 of debt onto a car he cant afford to leave home and do his own cooking, Irioning, etc
Perish the thought he would have to pay for his electric, water and god forbid rent......

He's in for a shock if Mom and Dad turn off the golden titty he is sucking on.

And why not, after spunking £20,000 of debt onto a car he cant afford to leave home and do his own cooking, Irioning, etc
Perish the thought he would have to pay for his electric, water and god forbid rent......

He's in for a shock if Mom and Dad turn off the golden titty he is sucking on.

Has he bought it outright or stuck £5k as a downpayment and financed the rest? I suspect the latter.

And that’s the problem for millennials in the UK - income rich, asset poor. But the income to asset gap is too wide to contemplate closing unless the bank of mum and dad offers something in the tune of £20-30k up to buy a house.

RE: changing a tyre - in the past I would’ve probably been in the camp of not being able to do fairly straightforward tasks is laughable but... technology moves on and there could be no reason to ever do it. I had a puncture a year ago and my run flat tyres meant I could continue as normal and the next day go to a tyre shop to get it changed. I didn’t get brake dust over my work clothes and I got home fine.

I’m shit at DIY, I’ll happily admit but I’m in a position I can pay someone to it which means I’m not wasting energy or getting stressed about things I’m no good at.