Midfield conundrum. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Midfield conundrum.

Now that is the dream!
Bossie is not a DCM anymore. In the first half away at Bury he got picked off and by passed at will by their slick passing and moving - expect to see more of that style in L1. Bossie is the last line of defence, do or die, thou shalt not pass, body on the line centre half who either wins the ball or uses his experience to take one for the team in a less dangerous area when he knows he has been done. He needs a Woodyard type screening him so he doesn't have to make so many do or die challenges and can stick to his bread and butter blocking, tackling and heading it away.

Accept what some say about Freck, but he did score the penalty that got us to our only ever Wembley appearance, plus one or two other important goals. He does contribute but it will be interesting to see how he goes during the coming season. My only gripe about his style is that he is a sending off waiting to happen occasionally. Whether that is purely down to his lack of fitness/sharpness is a matter of debate.

Freck has been a very good player especially at the level we are now at. But I fear at 33 due to the injuries he seems to have on a regular basis his contribution to the
team this season may not be enough to justify keeping him.
Unfortunately , just like Rheady sentiment cannot come into it.
But I think are would struggle to move him on due to his problems.

Freck has been a very good player especially at the level we are now at. But I fear at 33 due to the injuries he seems to have on a regular basis his contribution to the
team this season may not be enough to justify keeping him.
Unfortunately , just like Rheady sentiment cannot come into it.
But I think are would struggle to move him on due to his problems.

He would do a brilliant job for a team in league 2 that can afford him to only play for half a season because their squad is big enough. Salford, Northampton or Mansfield spring to mind..

He looked off the pace in his first 5 months here (coming in mid-season) as most players do.

But he started last season off very well IMO and it was noticeable when he was out of the team.

r.e. the midfield 'blend' at the minute, I'd agree that we need someone who's a bit more physical in there. O'Connor does a good job just doing his thing, even if he isn't particularly mobile. O'Hara would offer that, but I'd suggest he's probably more of a box to box type than a 'sitting' midfielder (that's not me saying I wouldn't sign O'Hara if we could because I would).

I think we will need bodies in central midfield this season. Two up front and two wingers will leave us wide open, especially without some strength and mobility in the centre. O’hara, or similar would provide

I wonder what danny’s Plan b is going to be? a diamond? O’connor, morrell, Grant, Payne playing narrow. Full backs doing the wide work,

Joe Morrell has played the CDM so far and looked a cut above other options for that position. For a little un he can tackle and is very combatable but can pass the ball forward and his best attribute is that he can run with the ball so can break from a deep position. When Chapman and Payne played alongside him he got over run a bit as neither of them tracked back well enough but when he had Pett alongside we looked a much more solid unit.
I would like to see Payne playing in the 10 role so further forward, he has the balance and close control of a League 1 Messi but it’s all about getting a balance. Playing Payne, Andrade and Grant could well be too much glitter, that’s why Anderson is so vital to give the pace, power and work rate

Haven't seen too much of Morrell, but I certainly agree with the final paragraph.

Even though they're on opposite flanks, Anderson and Eardley compliment Andrade and Toffolo very well.

DC was saying they see Payne as a forward rather than a midfielder so assume he'll be pushed forward as much as possible.

I think we will need bodies in central midfield this season. Two up front and two wingers will leave us wide open, especially without some strength and mobility in the centre. O’hara, or similar would provide

I wonder what danny’s Plan b is going to be? a diamond? O’connor, morrell, Grant, Payne playing narrow. Full backs doing the wide work,
Bossie playing the holding midfield role with Bolger and Shackell at the back?