Michael Gove | Vital Football

Michael Gove

Ex, he's said he's going to reduce class sizes in state schools by a significant funding increase. provide an opportunity for kids to show how bright they are with more tests and also take the ease of parents by letting their children stay at school for more hours of the day.

I'm paraphrasing of course.

Do you mean this below, because if you do I think he should be applauded for showing such ambition and vision...it's exactly what our education strategy has been missing for decades..

Pull this off and social mobility will once again be a genuine objective to strive for.

Michael Gove: State education 'no longer bog-standard'

Education Secretary Michael Gove vows to break down the "Berlin wall" between state and private schools
1:56PM GMT 03 Feb 2014

In a keynote speech this morning, Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, called for the opportunities available in fee-paying schools to be opened up more pupils than ever before.

He said it was his ambition is to raise standards in the state schools in England to the point where they are indistinguishable from their fee-paying counterparts.

Addressing the London Academy of Excellence, he said the evidence shows "beyond any reasonable doubt" that English state education is starting to show a "sustained and significant improvement".

By further tapping into the expertise of the independent sector - which has already resulted in many independent schools sponsoring or co-sponsoring state academies - he said that England's state schools can become the best in the world:

"State schools where the vast majority of pupils have the grades and the skills to apply to university, if they want to; where a state pupil being accepted to Oxbridge is not a cause for celebration, but a matter of course.

Instead of reinforcing the Berlin Wall between state and private, as the current Labour leadership appear to want, we should break it down," he said.

Spurfect11 - 3/2/2014 14:15

Ex, he's said he's going to reduce class sizes in state schools by a significant funding increase. provide an opportunity for kids to show how bright they are with more tests and also take the ease of parents by letting their children stay at school for more hours of the day.

Sounds like someone is serious about tackling the problems caused by labours haphazard approach to education...

Hope he pulls it off, as he's going to have some huge hurdles to overcome.

he's not going to pull it off the way he;s proposing, that;s for sure. more tests and longer hours. that's his answer. it;s all good and well talking the talk........

Spurfect11 - 3/2/2014 14:25

he's not going to pull it off the way he;s proposing, that;s for sure. more tests and longer hours. that's his answer. it;s all good and well talking the talk........

I agree, the unions will stop any reforms stone dead in their tracks.

well then what exactly should he be appointed for? stating the bleeding obvious? what is this guy employed for?

This is the same guy who is cutting £100 million from sixth form colleges?

Why doesn't he demand 10 hour school days for private colleges too!

Galvin's Shinpads - 3/2/2014 14:40

This is the same guy who is cutting £100 million from sixth form colleges?

Why doesn't he demand 10 hour school days for private colleges too!

most private colleges do already have longer than a 10 hour day.

Gove has defended his plan not to reappoint Sally Morgan as chair of Ofsted:

"I think Sally has done a superlative job. But I also think it is the case that there shouldn't be an automatic assumption of re-appointment for someone who is the chair of a public body ... If you have got a role that is primarily a scrutiny and challenge role, then it is appropriate to bring fresh pair of eyes to bear at the end of any particular term.

He also said that Morgan could be reappointed to another job in education.

If another job comes up which Sally wants to apply for in the education field, I would enthusiastically encourage her hiring and want to work with her in the future."

Note:

doing this in small bite sized chunks so that ST2 doesn't get the hump with 'big' posts! :10:

• He rejected suggestions that David Laws, his Lib Dem deputy, would take charge of the process to appoint a new Ofsted chair. (See 11.18am.) "No politician will have a responsibility for finding a replacement," he said. New candidates would be identified by an independent panel, he said. During the Q&A session after his speech Gove said that the right candidate could come from any political background.

If the right candidate, for any public appointment, happens to be a member of the Revolutionary Communist Party, or generous enough to support a political party with their hard-earned cash, if they're the right person, then he or she will be appointed, and that's the end of it.

But, when he was asked about this on the World at One, he did not deny a suggestion that he wanted Morgan to be replaced by someone who would defend the Conservative party's educational legacy.

"I think it is important to ensure that there is as much support for what we've been doing as possible, and I think that that involves that we continue to make the argument with the help of people from every political party. What's striking about the legacy - I hesitate to use that word, it's slightly self-aggrandising - what's striking about what we're doing in education is it's part of a long-term plan which has secured support from people in most political parties, and indeed people who have no political allegiance but who recognise that the quality of state education, which has been improving and is getting better, needs to be driven further and faster towards the level of education that those privately enjoy. "

spurdon - 3/2/2014 16:28

Spursex - 3/2/2014 14:06

ST2 - 3/2/2014 13:41

what a stupid bell-end

had to be said didn't it?

Why what's he done?

Lets start with Free schools" and keep going.

Of course you're right, trusting parents and local communities rather than telling them what to do, and how they should run their lives and do what they think is better for their children, is simply so much better.....

"Free schools are all-ability state-funded schools set up in response to what local people say they want and need in order to improve education for children in their community.

The right school can transform a child’s life and help them achieve things they may never have imagined. Through the free schools programme, it is now much easier for talented and committed teachers, charities, parents and education experts to open schools to address real demand within an area.

Free schools are all-ability state-funded schools set up in response to what local people say they want and need in order to improve education for children in their community. They are academies by law and so are not under the control of their local authority. To date, the department has supported the opening of 80 free schools across England, 24 in September 2011, 55 in September 2012 and 1 in January 2013."

"

have to say I do agree that sometimes an encumbent has to be removed for things to happen (cf AVB)

my advice for Gove, using his own reasoning of course ..... is to fire himself!

He's obviously on a revenge mission because of all the slaps his very slappable face got at school

Every teacher I know or ex-teacher I know couldn't wait to retire after years of ALL gov policy (yes EX, tories too) screwing up Education by political tinkering. A fulfilling vocation turned into a slog producing mis-spelling, narrow viewed, exam only trained kids.

So he wants to punish kids by making them pick up litter or run around the (non-existent) school fields that previous Tory govs sold - off. Is that it?

Gove talks shit

Spurfect11 - 3/2/2014 14:15

And so you should, he wont actually do anything so dont waste your time.

Spursex - 3/2/2014 14:19

Do you mean this below, because if you do I think he should be applauded for showing such ambition and vision...it's exactly what our education strategy has been missing for decades..

Pull this off and social mobility will once again be a genuine objective to strive for.

Education Secretary Michael Gove vows to break down the "Berlin wall" between state and private schools

In a keynote speech this morning, Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, called for the opportunities available in fee-paying schools to be opened up more pupils than ever before.

He said it was his ambition is to raise standards in the state schools in England to the point where they are indistinguishable from their fee-paying counterparts.

Addressing the London Academy of Excellence, he said the evidence shows "beyond any reasonable doubt" that English state education is starting to show a "sustained and significant improvement".

By further tapping into the expertise of the independent sector - which has already resulted in many independent schools sponsoring or co-sponsoring state academies - he said that England's state schools can become the best in the world:

"State schools where the vast majority of pupils have the grades and the skills to apply to university, if they want to; where a state pupil being accepted to Oxbridge is not a cause for celebration, but a matter of course.

Instead of reinforcing the Berlin Wall between state and private, as the current Labour leadership appear to want, we should break it down," he said.

what utter tripe, you can reverse every point he's made and it would be nearer the truth. And he's talking bollocks, no facts there, just whimsy.

Getting to Oxbridge has been a matter of ability for decades, what's he on about?

bell end as I said

and highly slappable

ST2 - 3/2/2014 22:41

Spursex - 3/2/2014 14:19

what utter tripe, you can reverse every point he's made and it would be nearer the truth. And he's talking bollocks, no facts there, just whimsy.

Getting to Oxbridge has been a matter of ability for decades, what's he on about?

bell end as I said

and highly slappable

Well if you can 'reverese every single point' (which all seems to be backed by empirical evidence); why not just do it?