Michael Eisner - Disney Billionaire wants to buy our club | Page 3 | Vital Football

Michael Eisner - Disney Billionaire wants to buy our club

I'm getting concerned that main players of the PST want to vote against the takeover. Reading between the lines there are many that like being able to say 'we own a football club' and don't realise that very soon we would struggle due to lack of funds.

We may be trading at a profit but we don't have anywhere near enough money to carry out all the work that needs to be done - and that's just the stadium!

Can PST members put their hands in the their pockets on a regular basis? I doubt it. The 'No to the takeover' brigade think we have 200,000 fans that will fund the club forever and a day.

The PST are a minority and it's a dangerous situation that the future or 'our club', I say 'our club' because we all spend a lot of money each year to follow Pompey. I would actually bet that many of us have spent significantly more than many PST members. We either didn't have the cash available to buy shares or chose not to invest this way.

The fanbase should have a say - I'm not sure what the reaction would be if PST block Eisner and his team.

The problem I have is that a lot of people seem to have made up their mind before they've even heard Eisner's offer. As Stubbsy says a lot of people like things the way they are, and while there's nothing wrong with the sentiment I feel that this lacks ambition and can come across as just stubborn.

Some of the statistics the anti-takeover people are coming up with are laughable.

200,000 fans that are willing to invest?

When we were on the brink of extinction we could only raise a couple of million, so why do these people now think we can raise enough to do up the ground (probably between 5 and 10 million), as well as pay competitive wages that would see us fighting at the right end of the table, I'm afraid that's just not gonna happen.

I'm not saying we should go with Eisner, far from it. But I want to hear what his offer is before I make any decision. If it's best for the club, great! Welcome aboard! If it's not, we tell him what we want and he can take it or leave it. I'd rather be a struggling League One club for the next decade than put our club at risk of being in the hands of a dodgy owner again.

So, I'm all ears Mr. Eisner!

"I'd rather be a struggling League One club for the next decade than put our club at risk of being in the hands of a dodgy owner again. "

That's how I feel too. I also think the club can sustain and grow with the current set up just not as quickly as we could with investment. Looking forward to seeing the detail and if it is right then great - but my main concern is the security of the club. I don't want to risk it all for a couple of games against Man Utd and Chelsea.

"Reading between the lines there are many that like being able to say 'we own a football club' and don't realise that very soon we would struggle due to lack of funds. "

I hate this kind of conjecture, it is rather pathetic and really ungrateful. There may be some but that is a very small percentage, if any! Most are just pleased they have a club still and proud that the club is progressing and run in the right way. What I don't get is why people seem bitter towards those that saved the club just because there is this chap trying to buy it. It's not on really.

If struggling by in league one for the next decade or so means we'll have a future in the long-term it's a no-brainer isn't it. IF it's not under a dodgy owner and the future (on and off the field) can be bright and secured, likewise a no-brainer.

Think we all agree we ONLY want what's best for the club and can only really decide once Eisner shares his views, deciding without an intention of changing that view, before is crazy.

As I've said, and others have too, plenty of times, our problem is having the money to carry out even the basics - as has been pointed out, easy to say 200,000 fans can invest, but how many will, how much and for how long?!

Yes Rug, we have to wait and see the detail. With any decision they will be a big percentage for, against and those unsure.

@pompeyweller - i don't think anyone is ungrateful at how much effort was put into saving PFC. Many people did it in their own way and I think the thousands that have turned up week in, week out during our 4 seasons in League 2 have all contributed to the future of the club. All are proud to be part of the PFC family. I don't feel anyone is bitter about the PST - I just feel that any decision - for or against the takeover will divide the fan base for a while. That's the world we live in.

Thank goodness it will all take place out of season and credit to the club and Eisner for keeping a news blackout while we pushed for promotion. Very different to the bids of the past.

So the basic detail of the deal had been revealed. I'm still for it and even though I don't hold any shares, I think he needs to pay more than £1000 per share.

Does anyone know how many individual shareholders there are? The number is going to be much smaller than I thought. Hence my concern that a minority will be deciding our future.

From what I've seen/been told there isn't much new in what he's mentioned than was already said?

Let's just hope - IF he's the right option - the right decision is made in the clubs' best interest and not a 'personal' one that could work against us in the long-term...

It's always going to be personal Rug, as its an objective decision made by individuals. I don't think many people really care about the £1000, I'd rather that was invested back in the club 'personally' and the trust retained a sizable shareholding. The security of the club is worth much more to me than my £1000 or any profit I might get. I am underwhelmed as I am sure many other people are. Is there room for negotiation? I think there will be lots of interesting questions being put to Mr Eisner... I am sure the negotiations have already raised most of them which suggests he isn't for budging, we will see but, initially, I think not.

Would hope a greater level of clarity on what he's actually looking to invest into the infrastructure of PFC - doesn't seem there will be much at this stage, from what's been released - will be made clear in the Guildhall meeting on Thursday?

Hi All,

I've not posted since our Jimmy Dickinson Statue proposal failed to raise sufficient interest with the club and fans. And as I have been growing a small business for the past three years and lost touch going to Pompey matches, I've not had anything constructive to offer on Pompey Vital. Hopefully, you are happy for me to post on this particular thread particularly as fan ownership is a matter close to my heart.

For those who remember me well? I was at the forefront of the fan ownership model way before the Pompey Trust existed. I was heavily criticized at the time by some fractions who wanted to maintain the benefactor model but the Pompey Trust evolved and inevitably won the day and in fact even re-established from a Provi status to my model of a Community Interest Company. I think the Trust has done an absolute marvellous job pushing the club forward and getting to within a whisker of winning the title I really do. How great it will be next weekend if we clinch the title against all the odds.

When the fan-ownership model is clearly going forward on the field, I am uncomfortable going backwards in the boardroom to the old benefactor model when it is not necessary. It has gone Pete Tong at Leyton Orient as an unhealthy reminder how well we have done under fan-ownership. Rather than reduce fan ownership and potentially slip backwards, I think the fans would benefit from having a greater investment and the board having greater ambitions.

I will listen to what Mr Eisner has to say of course but after all that's gone on getting the club to this promotion point, his offer to give the fans their money back is already the first joke of his proposals. Hope there are no other jokers in the pack on Thursday.

Hi FACT, of course you're welcome to post ALL are always welcomed, and encouraged, to do so as there's not Vital without involvement from the members.

Yes, the offer proposal is definitely underwhelming and we CANNOT take a 'this is our only option' approach, but I'm concerned about the costs of running the club as is and feel the capacity at Fratton Park will continue to dwindle as safety concerns raise - the costs of continually patching her up will add up. We NEED a full on renovation of the old girl/rebuild, if not a move, and these are the costs we'll struggle to cover I reckon BUT would hope are areas (the infrastructure) Eisner and co are looking to and have better plans with than it initially appears?

I'll point you towards my latest piece instead of simply going over what I've already said in many ways in this thread/in that.

http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=580899

Good to hear from you again though FACT, views haven't always been agreed with BUT you always shared them and, in your opinion, had something to back them up so keep 'em coming
:35:

Not a shareholder so no vote but as some are breaking cover in the snooze

-was at the Northern Blues end of season (away) meeting after Mansfield game and one of the big Presidents was there, has put in £600k, I didn't speak to him as i say not a shareholder but friends did, he is against it but said most of Presidents will be in favour, he hoped most would "wake up and smell the bullsh1t".

admits will need more money but he is willing to put more in, did wonder why he isn't stating this, he firmly believes we are selling ourselves too cheaply and long term they will be looking to get quick promotions and sell, he feels they do not really understand how difficult it will be to get another 2 promotions.

Ashley Brown was there as well and stated what he has said in the snooze.

Mcinnes was there and is in favour.

Maybe some 'presidents' are game playing and saying they don't back the takeover to stay in favour.

I do know it's crazy to think we can find £4.1m to bring FP up to scratch, even if we did, how do we fund everything else?

Anyone that refers to the takeover bid as 'bulls**t' is probably used to dishing out plenty of their own.

I still think there is a lot of selfishness being banded around - hence I'd love the vote to be extended to season ticket holders.

There are plenty of choices out there ready to scupper the deal even before they have all the facts of sat in front of Eisner.

My position is clear to all, I want to get the facts to make sure my gut feeling of a yes, is correct. We can all dig deep to find reasons to say no. You can with everything.

Decisions always have a degree of risk, as does staying put with the current set up.

As a business PFC isn't worth mega bucks.

I have to say the most selfish views I have read are those from people who didn't help save the club that now want someone else, again, to fund their dreams. I want to know the reason from not guaranteeing the club will remain with the ground, the retail (not stadium) value of the ground is worth way more than the offer, as is the club itself. I am more than happy to have Eisner aboard but with some guarantees and not this crappy heritage board but proper representation, I do not see why this would prevent him doing what is right and I think in partnership we are stronger. I do not want to retain fan shares or representation just so I can say "I own a bit of the club" I want to guarantee the future. So, I am all ears on Thursday.

Season ticket holders are paying for a product Stubbsy, that's it. If they don't like the product they stop buying it. It's pretty obvious that season ticket holders would vote yes if it meant their product might improve in the short term. Personally, I am happy with the current product and lets face it, there is no guarantee that a sprinkling of cash will improve things on the pitch, although it can obviously help. What if, for whatever reason we do not go up or do a Coventry or worse, a Leyton Orient? I want to be convinced but at the moment I'm not, I want some safety nets put in place. Roll on Thursday, whatever happens I will vote as I think best for PFC on the information I have and accept whatever decision is made.

Here's my two penneth, for what it's worth.

1. I am not interested in a return of my money. I gave willingly at the time, understanding that it was not an investment designed to give me an income. Eisner can offer more for each share but it isn't the game changer.

2. He IS in it for the money, be it short or long term. Profit will always trump sentiment.

3. I resent the refusal to have any fan shareholding in the future. When control of the club passes wholly to an outsider who does not have the club's interest ahead of profit, we are in trouble. It may not happen straight away but I think it is inevitable.

4. Why not commit to staying at FP? All the talk about a 15 mile radius suggests he already has something else in mind.

5. The heritage board proposal has no teeth.

It will be interesting to see what comes from the meeting on Thursday. At the end of the day, my vote alone will not swing the decision either way but, like others on here, I'm not convinced that we should take the first offer that comes along.