Michael Appleton early observations. | Vital Football

Michael Appleton early observations.

Ruskingtony

Vital Squad Member
Early days yet but worth reflecting on some of the ways that Appleton has already had an affect on the Imps.
I along with quite a few went along on Sat hoping for a point at least to get us back on track, but fearing the worst. Plus there had been a lot of speculation about wholesale changes in the team, with both Vickers and eardley being tipped to be replaced along with others.
However Mr Appleton did not panic kept faith with the back four, and both Vickers and Eardley repaid this faith with each giving excellent performances along with the rest of the team.
Out went the slow passing across the back four creating slow build up play and was replaced with moving the ball forwards quickly and created an exciting spectacle for the fans. Vickers on several occasions rolling or throwing the ball out quickly , forwards not sideways again creating attacking moves.
Moving Andrade to the right wing and giving him plenty of the ball and getting Payne to play further up the pitch nearer Walker.
But best for me was not making the seemingly mandatory 3 subs every match. He obviously believes in not making changes if the team is playing well. O'Connor got a bit of a knock so came off and Andrade came off to save him for the next match as Sunderland had been trying to kick of the pitch quite a few times during the match.
Early days but i am getting exicited by the brand of football we can hopefully expect under Appleton.

I agree. The Cowleys signed these players but, ironically, Appleton may get more out of them.

Early days, though, but encouraging signs.

We need to remember that he needs time to stamp his mark on the time. I like the way he has gone about his time so far and not to slag off our beloved former managers but I do prefer looking over and seeing a calm figure on the touchline and he hasn't mentioned budget once!

With no disrespect to the Cowley's as they built the profile of the club up massively. But I don't thick he will be looking for too many press 'opportunities' and will go about his business quietly and calmly .
I cant see him getting many yellows from refs this season either.

With no disrespect to the Cowley's as they built the profile of the club up massively. But I don't thick he will be looking for too many press 'opportunities' and will go about his business quietly and calmly .

Errr, he's been on the Quest programme already?

None of it matters, only winning matters.

It is clear from his interviews and his introductory press conference- he is a coach first and manager if he has to be. I don't think the open approach of the Cowleys is his style and he comes across as almost shy rather than distant.

Interesting comments he has made about the squad and players so far as well- has referenced the previous managers success but a few, minor, comments around playing style, not getting the best out of players etc, naive tactics...

Part of me just wants him to scream how wonderful we are as fans (because our fan egos have been stroked so much over the last 3 years) but we will have to come round to a much more measured, considered and restrained approach during interviews.

I am really excited about the next 2-3 years- a different driver but still the Lincoln Loco

Still reserving judgement until end of the month, but I have to say Sunderland was a massively pleasant and unexpected surprise to me. Keep it going please MApp ??

Obviously the result was fantastic, but more importantly to me was the manner in which the players applied themselves.

It's quite clear that MA's won them over and they want to play for him.

They all seemed to know exactly what was required of them and they wanted to play. But above all it was the togetherness they showed. In a few games recently I've noticed incidents of players bickering and blaming each other for mistakes. I always think that speaks volumes. None of that against Sunderland, in fact we even saw an encouraging pat for Walker when he missed the penalty.

I believe that sort of team spirit stems from the management, and when you have that togetherness, more often than not success follows.

I agree it's early days, but the signs look very good to me

Good to see him come on the pitch, shake everyone's hand and thank the fans after the game on Saturday.
No being centre of attention, no wild celebrations - still a huge job to do.

You cannot compare MA to the Cowleys totally different characters but I suspect all are great coaches. Two things

1. Personally I cannot thank the Cowleys enough whatever the manner of their departure they have given us the 3 most amazing years of our lives supporting the mighty Imps and they dragged this club out of the doldrums and I suspect changed it forever. They are and rightly so Lincoln City legends and it is only in subsequent years that the true measure of their achievements will be fully appreciated by many.

2. The appointment of a manager to follow the Cowleys was a crucial one and although the early signs are indeed very good I remind people that one swallow doesn't make a summer. I actually have a good feeling about MA and I actually feel he really has the ability and promise to lead us to the heady heights of The Championship but only time will tell.

As Danny said so often this football club and the journey we are on is more than just one or two people it's about all of us. But I think on early evidence the new person at the steering wheel certainly knows where he is going and how to get there.

There are many apps on the market but its looks like the board have maybe got it right again early days but happy so far.

The Cowleys were utterly fantastic for this football club and nobody can ever take anything away from what they achieved. I do wonder however if their move has ultimately happened at the right time for both parties. I strongly suspect that they will enjoy success at Huddersfield (however that will be defined), but I suspect even more strongly that Clive and the board have actually got us an upgrade to replace them.

Michael Appleton is his own man, knows his own mind and is very confident about his methods. He is handling following the Cowleys in an assured manner, seemingly unfazed by their legacy. He is a good antidote at this time. When the Cowleys came in the big push to get the public back onside was essential but it is less so now. It has been built and if MA gets it right they will keep coming regardless. MA is rightly focused on the next - what happens on the pitch.

Part of me just wants him to scream how wonderful we are as fans (because our fan egos have been stroked so much over the last 3 years) but we will have to come round to a much more measured, considered and restrained approach during interviews.

I am really excited about the next 2-3 years- a different driver but still the Lincoln Loco
To be fair he praised the fans on Quest and again after the game Saturday didn’t he? Maybe he hasn’t called us Premier League fans yet!

I've seen too much football to make a judgement on MA based on two or three games. Easy enough to get fired up for games against Sunderland, Ipswich and the like, and there is also the the new broom factor. Our goals on Saturday were beautifully worked and taken, but I'll tell you what, for all the flow of the second this board would have gone mad if we had conceded instead of scored it. Little sign of a press, no sign of a challenge to hold us up and a half hearted attempt to track Andrade. No wonder the Sunderland fans were complaining. It's a start, the trick is producing the same performances in the bread and scrape affairs as well as the bread and jam games. :throw:

You cannot compare MA to the Cowleys totally different characters but I suspect all are great coaches. Two things

1. Personally I cannot thank the Cowleys enough whatever the manner of their departure they have given us the 3 most amazing years of our lives supporting the mighty Imps and they dragged this club out of the doldrums and I suspect changed it forever. They are and rightly so Lincoln City legends and it is only in subsequent years that the true measure of their achievements will be fully appreciated by many.

2. The appointment of a manager to follow the Cowleys was a crucial one and although the early signs are indeed very good I remind people that one swallow doesn't make a summer. I actually have a good feeling about MA and I actually feel he really has the ability and promise to lead us to the heady heights of The Championship but only time will tell.

As Danny said so often this football club and the journey we are on is more than just one or two people it's about all of us. But I think on early evidence the new person at the steering wheel certainly knows where he is going and how to get there.
Great post.

To be fair he praised the fans on Quest and again after the game Saturday didn’t he? Maybe he hasn’t called us Premier League fans yet!

I think that was my point- he has twice mentioned keeping the fans on board, continuing with the support they have given so far etc. Like I said really, our fan egos were well and truly stroked over the last 3 years and Appleton is a different style of manager- maybe it is the typical Northerner in him