Michael Appelton "Are you a realist or a cheerleader?" | Page 2 | Vital Football

Michael Appelton "Are you a realist or a cheerleader?"

I think you may be right Notty .It's definitely the most annoying comment in my opinion. You are either in or out in my view. Who has the right to critize a fellow Imps blind faith? More importantly we need to sort out these cheerleader outfits .Spangly gold lame? Nothing wrong with getting in touch with your feminine side
That's left me with the worrying thought that you want to get in touch with Notty's female side...

I think I'll stick with cheerleading...

I was once told by a boss, “don’t criticise unless you can offer a solution“. I like to think if I identify what I see as a problem or weakness, I usually suggest something as a way of improving it. Even with Bolger, who I have one or two doubts about, I have offered ways to improve and he is still a decent defender at this level. Of course, I know that MA reads this and takes my sage comments on board 🤔🙄. The main thing is we have a squad of young players and should not get on their backs or we run the risk of undermining their development. I guess that makes me a bit of both 🤔

Last edited:
I'd be a cheerleader, happy clapper whatever you want to call it before the season starts. As with any season full of hope, enthusiasm, but not expectation.

I think reality kicks in with expectation, for me success would be simply staying up again this season. (Hopefully higher than last season). We have a long term plan, it's more of a marathon than the sprint the last few years have been. I think patience will be required. MA says he's looking at top half and may surprise a few. I'd take that of course, but like he says the league will be tough.

Even with this COVID crap I don't mind admitting I'm excited. UTI !

It's pretty normal to be optimistic prior to a new season even in these strange times.I always give 100% support to the Imps even during the lean times.The most annoying phrase that usually gets directed at enthusiastic fans is that old chestnut 'rose tinted glasses 'It's been directed at me on here quite a few times over the years. Guess I'm a cheerleader ...pass me those pompoms

Nothing whatsoever to add apart from, does the phrase ''rose tinted glasses'' make anyone else always think of John Inverdale?

Think I am a cheerlist Always looking for the positive and every pre-season believe we have a title winning squad. Then about two games in the realist bit hits home and I start checking the teams below us. Those 3 years were the once in a life time moments that I can’t ever see being repeated but it has raised the bar an awful lot. The board have been able to see beyond the wave we were riding and have a long term strategy. MA looks to me to be the man for the job but patience is what’s needed. I genuinely believe that the futures bright with MA at the helm. I’m just going to have to get used to all that pissing about at the back :slap: