Michael Appelton "Are you a realist or a cheerleader?" | Vital Football

Michael Appelton "Are you a realist or a cheerleader?"

domski2017

Vital Squad Member
Someone should start a Michael Appleton thread. Here goes!

I have enjoyed watching his football but it has been generally patchy in terms of results in a very difficult season and management takeover. The Peterborough home and away games were of huge quality and enjoyment and why I watch lower league football.

Lincoln fans are told what to think about Appleton (Great coach, great at Oxford, other clubs were a mistake to join as a manager) and he has a good story about his previous management experiences. (We would all do this about our previous work). I am definitely positive about the future however if results are not great how many cheer leaders will turn on him? and will the story change?

I think he could do very well at Sincil Bank and I am supportive of the said club agenda and plan. Some questioning of the story may sometimes be needed, just speak to Blackburn fans. The proof is in the tactics, signings and results. I personally will tolerate a lower league finish as long as it is entertaining however how many others will do the same?

I am turning fifty this year and if the club and lower leagues survive the current crisis, any longevity for Lincoln City in the third tier will be a huge success. I suspect it will be very entertaining! However some analysis is required and cheerleading is very annoying until we have seen the new side, tactics and formation, no matter how much we may support the club!

Someone should start a Michael Appleton thread. Here goes!

I have enjoyed watching his football but it has been generally patchy in terms of results in a very difficult season and management takeover. The Peterborough home and away games were of huge quality and enjoyment and why I watch lower league football.

Lincoln fans are told what to think about Appleton (Great coach, great at Oxford, other clubs were a mistake to join as a manager) and he has a good story about his previous management experiences. (We would all do this about our previous work). I am definitely positive about the future however if results are not great how many cheer leaders will turn on him? and will the story change?

I think he could do very well at Sincil Bank and I am supportive of the said club agenda and plan. Some questioning of the story may sometimes be needed, just speak to Blackburn fans. The proof is in the tactics, signings and results. I personally will tolerate a lower league finish as long as it is entertaining however how many others will do the same?

I am turning fifty this year and if the club and lower leagues survive the current crisis, any longevity for Lincoln City in the third tier will be a huge success. I suspect it will be very entertaining! However some analysis is required and cheerleading is very annoying until we have seen the new side, tactics and formation, no matter how much we may support the club!
What is the Blackburn fans’ version of the story?

It's pretty normal to be optimistic prior to a new season even in these strange times.I always give 100% support to the Imps even during the lean times.The most annoying phrase that usually gets directed at enthusiastic fans is that old chestnut 'rose tinted glasses 'It's been directed at me on here quite a few times over the years. Guess I'm a cheerleader ...pass me those pompoms

Cheerleader. I am the first to admit I know little about running a football team and will support the manager whatever. If he fails, well, I'll be there to support the next guy. If I was only bothered about watching a winning team I'd be watching Man U or Liverpool etc on Sky Sports every week.
Glad MAPP is with us.

It's pretty normal to be optimistic prior to a new season even in these strange times.I always give 100% support to the Imps even during the lean times.The most annoying phrase that usually gets directed at enthusiastic fans is that old chestnut 'rose tinted glasses 'It's been directed at me on here quite a few times over the years. Guess I'm a cheerleader ...pass me those pompoms

I think most people have actually accused you of wearing red-tinted glasses. ;)

Definitely a cheerleader here...

But my view is that if we don't encourage our team, especially if we become negative towards them, how can they gain that little something, that confidence, that boost, especially at home (when we're back). If it were to get to the point that folk are negative a out the team the manager or individual players before the match - how are they supposed to produce the goods?

I'd much rather encourage, dream and cheer on... I remember a guy near me at the Gateshead match when Rheady stepped up for the penalty. He buried his head in his heads and suggested someone else should take it. I encouraged him to join in the cheers leading up to him taking and scoring it...

Always encourage. I wouldn't like to be in the position of having my negative predictions and criticisms confirmed - how much of that would be down to the fans giving that vibe?

We're in a great place relative to many others, we have a great set up, board and manager, enjoy what we can, celebrate every last thing and cheer like it's the last chance you'll get!!

COME ON YOU IMPS!!!!!!!!!! ©

I would say most of us on here here have been through a lot more leaner times than successful times. The previous 3 seasons previous to last season brought times that I never thought I'd witness in my lifetime. I have absolutely no problem with 'rose tinted' fans who never criticises the club and stick by the players, manager and board no matter what, that is an admiral quality but I'm afraid I cant be like that. With the previous manager there wasn't an awful lot to criticise, we had virtually had 3 seasons of unpresedented success so there weren't a lot of negative things to say. I won't criticise for the sake of it and I will praise if praise is warranted and if I do criticise I will always try to reason my criticisms.Obviously I want the team and the manager to do well but if there are things I see and dont like I will have my say on it. I might be totally wrong and someone may change my opinion and if so fair enough. I know I'm probably in the minority on here but people shouldn't be afraid to say what they feel just because they may be afraid of being attacked by the majority.

Cheerleader? No. Doom monger? No. I prefer the level headed approach. I do however enjoy reading peoples views be they positive or negative. Whether I agree with them or not at 63 I still enjoy learning about people, and about our football club be it good or bad.
Now how do I get down without getting splinters?

I still remember one of my first management training sessions when I joined the world of work. We were divided into two teams in an attempt to see how many of each team could walk along a rope laid out on the floor. One team was given instructions to call out to their team mates not to fall off. The other was given instructions to encourage their team mates to stay on and to reach the end. The second team consistently won (and we ran the exercise more than once) supporting the hypothesis that focusing on results and positive outcomes fosters greater achievement. In my experience, on balance, negativity tends to bread negativity and positivity tends to bread positivity.

On that basis make me a cheerleader.

For me, Mr Appleton has a mandate and support to stabilise and develop Lincoln City over the next 2 years. The signings under his leadership have looked good and the quality and background of his recruits have looked good; especially given the quite dramatic overhaul of the squad.

Realist

I have gone from apprehensive to optimistic but haven't reached excited yet.
Have been pleasantly surprised by the players we have brought in over the last few weeks however Bridcutt is the only player we know is outstanding at this level.
Plenty have proved themselves competent with the potential to improve. Others have shown real promise with the potential to develop into quality assets.
MA has sold himself as a coach and man manager to improve young players and get the best out of them and obviously I really hope he does but it isn't easy.

We were average at best last season and at times quite poor.
We definitely missed Walker when he went and he left a big hole. The forward line is the area we haven't yet strengthened and is always the hardest area to fill.
If we somehow managed to bring in a couple of outstanding forwards then maybe its time to practice the jumps and high kicks.

I think most people have actually accused you of wearing red-tinted glasses. ;)
I think you may be right Notty .It's definitely the most annoying comment in my opinion. You are either in or out in my view. Who has the right to critize a fellow Imps blind faith? More importantly we need to sort out these cheerleader outfits .Spangly gold lame? Nothing wrong with getting in touch with your feminine side