Mental health during this period | Vital Football

Mental health during this period

richymac

Vital Reserves Team
Hi everyone. I, like everyone else here have been shocked and saddened by the recent news. I heard Adam Pendlebury and Emmerson Boyce on the PWU podcast mention how mental health can be affected.

I know it may sound a little severe but at times of uncertainty the human mind can go to quite a dark place. I have been there myself and battle with anxiety and depression every day.

It is crucial that we all stick together and support each other. Especially with the current pandemic. It's okay not to be okay.

Below is a link to some brilliant charities and orgs. I really recommend CALM if you are between 15 and 35.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mental-health-helplines/

Stay safe everyone and please do talk if you feel overwhelmed.

EDIT:CALM will take calls from all ages!

Last edited:
Well said Richy. Mental health can be a dark place and I speak from what I have been through the past few months on a personal level. The strength is in talking to others that you may not have met before. Unload to them and the path is long, but step by step you will feel more worth every day. Please remember that no one should be ashamed to get help and there is lots of help out there and good people who will listen. support and help you along that path. Anyone who does feel effected by the past few days, weeks, months then don't suffer in silence. Talk to others.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mental-health-helplines/

Last edited:
CALM work for ages between 15 and 35 I believe.
There are other options of helplines on the link, but this is aimed at younger men.

Just had a quick shufty, I think you're right with the aims when it started, but it's focus has since changed................ an extract from their site:

Until 2011 CALM was aimed at men aged 15-35. By 2011 it was clear that the volume of male callers aged over 35 was becoming growing and suicide among older men was increasing. CALM consulted extensively with supporters, funders and commissioners before expanding its remit to cover all men in the UK. CALM’s memorandum and articles of association were updated in 2012 to reflect this.

Just had a quick shufty, I think you're right with the aims when it started, but it's focus has since changed................ an extract from their site:

Until 2011 CALM was aimed at men aged 15-35. By 2011 it was clear that the volume of male callers aged over 35 was becoming growing and suicide among older men was increasing. CALM consulted extensively with supporters, funders and commissioners before expanding its remit to cover all men in the UK. CALM’s memorandum and articles of association were updated in 2012 to reflect this.
Oh right that's brilliant news! The NHS should update their website.