Medway council gfc free ticket ballot. | Vital Football

Medway council gfc free ticket ballot.

I am not against this idea but it could be seen as a kick in the nuts to long standing season ticket holders and regular fans who buy tickets on a match by match basis. Not everyone will agree but GFC need to tread carefully cosying up to Medway Council who are in the main not exactly adored by Council tax payers.

Its a real dilemma. If we do nothing then we will probably average about 50% utilization of the seats. If we do deals to try and encourage people to become regular supporters then it can seem to be unfair to the ST holders. At the moment the seats the council are giving away would probably be unsold. The people attending might spent a bit of cash on food/drink. They might even pay to come back again if they enjoy it.

I don't actually think price is the issue. If we dropped admission to 10 or even 15 quid I am not sure attendances would increase that much to cover the loss in income.

What is important is making it an enjoyable experience so people want to come back. When we did deals last year I heard so many people say "Thank god I don't have to watch this shite every week".

Last season bar a few games the home match experience wasn't great. Anyone who went last Saturday must have left happy. We were exciting to watch with lots of chances. That's what we need. Fast, attacking football with a good few goals. That is what will bring the fans back.

When we start reaching 70% or 80% utilisation I think we can be concerned about the amount of freebies flying around.

I’m happy with giving out 1-2,000 free tickets as long as the same person doesn’t get to go to more than 3-4 games for free. That way you won’t offend the season ticket holders.

It is only i would guess a short term thing.Getting new young people to games is never going to be easy.If we were to give say a thousand kids a free match over a season.As has been said the seats would otherwise remain empty.If we get 1% of families regularly buying tickets as a result and another 2 or 3% occasionally then it is well worth doing. There will always be those what about me season ticket holders .But unless the club are more open to trying things like this.Long term crowds could go down even further.Without new blood our tickets will have to rise in price to cover costs .It is a bit chicken and egg situation .Unless a kid is asking to come likelyhood is that parents who don't come to games will not buy tickets.A kid will not ask to come to Gills at all if he has never been to a game.Many parents will not look beyond the latest gadgets or game and definitely not a league one game as a treat.