Meanwhile, in the Colonies... | Vital Football

Meanwhile, in the Colonies...

PhillyBlueMoon

Vital Football Legend
Mexico plays in the searing heat and humidity of Honduras while the United States and Costa Rica get set to face off in a blizzard. Say what you will about CONCACAF not having strong teams, but qualifying out of this region is one of the most difficult due to weather conditions, pitch conditions, travel considerations, and rowdiness of fans. While England will cantor to wins over San Marino and Montengro, the US hosts Costa Rica a mile above sea level and then travels to Mexico, who rarely lose in Mexico City.

San Marino shouldn't even be in the draw.

Not so sure about Montenegro. You tend to find those countries from the former Yugoslavia are quite handy and England will take them for granted at their peril.

You have a point though Philly. I don't even consider England a strong side and they would struggle in your group.

If you can find video of the game last night, it was a wild finish. The Costa Ricans, to their credit, play incredibly well in those conditions.

So, the US played Mexico last night, and Cheataburrito was in his full diving glory, trying to win two penalties unsuccessfully and complaining about everything. This game was highly publicized and I feel a few US fans who may have had an outside interest in the rags would have been turned off by his pathetic antics. Let's all hope so, at least.

PhillyBlueMoon - 27/3/2013 12:14

So, the US played Mexico last night, and Cheataburrito was in his full diving glory, trying to win two penalties unsuccessfully and complaining about everything. This game was highly publicized and I feel a few US fans who may have had an outside interest in the rags would have been turned off by his pathetic antics. Let's all hope so, at least.

I see it finished 0-0, Philly. How does the group stand now?

It did finish 0-0, CITK. As it stands:

Panama - 5
Costa Rica - 4
USA - 4
Honduras - 4
Mexico - 3
Jamaica - 2

That's through 3 games, with 7 to play. The top 3 make it automatically, the 4th place finisher plays New Zealand for the final spot.

PhillyBlueMoon - 28/3/2013 13:06

It did finish 0-0, CITK. As it stands:

Panama - 5
Costa Rica - 4
USA - 4
Honduras - 4
Mexico - 3
Jamaica - 2

That's through 3 games, with 7 to play. The top 3 make it automatically, the 4th place finisher plays New Zealand for the final spot.

Thanks, Philly. One large group, like the South American, it seems. I remember in the past, the same sort of scenario qualifying play-off wise, was between South America and Oceniana.
Presume South America now has an extra place.