Matty Virtue | Vital Football

Matty Virtue

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
Radio Lincolnshire are reporting that the hamstring injury suffered by Matty Virtue last Monday will keep him out for up to 10 weeks.

He's a player I've been really impressed with since he joined and would be delighted if he became a permanent player in the summer, but 10 weeks out for a loan player is a long time. Should we be looking at bringing the loan to an end, if that is possible, and seeking an alternative?

What a shame as that is just about the end of the season for Matty, who has been a fully deserved first team regular. I hope for his speedy recovery and that we see in the future a lot more of Matty in an Imps shirt.

This... isn't good news, as central midfield is already a bit of a problem I think (and has been for a long time).

Can't expected Teddy to play regularly I don't think.

Radio Lincolnshire are reporting that the hamstring injury suffered by Matty Virtue last Monday will keep him out for up to 10 weeks.

He's a player I've been really impressed with since he joined and would be delighted if he became a permanent player in the summer, but 10 weeks out for a loan player is a long time. Should we be looking at bringing the loan to an end, if that is possible, and seeking an alternative?
As he's one we would probably want to sign in the summer, do we try and make the move permanent this month (as he's no good to Blackpool injured) thus freeing up his loan space?

As he's one we would probably want to sign in the summer, do we try and make the move permanent this month (as he's no good to Blackpool injured) thus freeing up his loan space?

I would consider this and would be a good gesture to the player if we still wanted him when he can't play. He has had injury problems in the past though (big absence for Blackpool before he signed for us) and I'd be a tiny bit concerned about that especially if signing him took a chunk of the budget/stopped us signing someone else?

I guess, basically if the finances are right it might be an option. I agree he's someone I'd have at the club next season especially if we are going to play this system - been very hard for us to get the right bodies in at CM for ages.

Been very impressed with him and our stand out and most consistent performer in midfield. Huge loss.

I’d like to see us sign him permanently.

This is a real nightmare as I've been really impressed with him. He has to be replaced and replaced effectively. Bishop can't play that role. I'd go as far to say that his replacement will go a long way to decide what division we're in next season.

If Virtue is out for that long, it probably signals the end of his loan; we will need the squad place and parent clubs usually like them back for treatment too. Would like to see him back again, I thought he was getting more influential with every game and seemed to have found a good place to be.

Either we find a direct replacement, or Sanders and/or Sorensen really has to up their game (ideally both). Bishop is our most talented midfielder but unfortunately is made of eggshells. Davenport has never been a contender, I still expect to see him released.

Having to go Sanders/Sorenson as a midfield duo for any length of time isn't ideal, so I suspect it changes our January plans slightly? Bishop could probably play there for a short period but he's someone for further up the pitch.

Not that I think he’s the answer but Oakley-Booth seems to be a forgotten man in these discussions

If we sign more attacking energetic wingbacks we could and should play a 3 man midfield and 2 central strikers. That is a better way to control games and retain more possession. Just 2 in midfield means you never have the ball long enough to control games and that is what we need when we play the considered weaker league one teams

If we sign more attacking energetic wingbacks we could and should play a 3 man midfield and 2 central strikers. That is a better way to control games and retain more possession. Just 2 in midfield means you never have the ball long enough to control games and that is what we need when we play the considered weaker league one teams

I see Kendall as playing in a 2 up front rather than a 3rd string for Hopper / House.

Sadly if he is out for a minimum of 10 weeks that is a loan spot wasted.
I don't see us having any choice but to send him back to Blackpool for his recuperation. We need to try and get another similar player in. Though easier said than done.
I would definitely go back for him at the end of the season though.

Could be the chance for a bit of business here. If we end his loan Blackpool wil have to pay the wages of a player unlikely to play for them again (I believe Virtue goes out of contract at the end of this season). If Virtue was interested in signing for us (given his injury the offer of a contact would be a vote of confidence similar that we gave to Lewis) we might be able to convince Blackpool to pay a significant proportion of his wages between now and the end of the season. We'd effectively sign a good L1 midfielder for our proportion of his wages up until the end of May.

Could be the chance for a bit of business here. If we end his loan Blackpool wil have to pay the wages of a player unlikely to play for them again (I believe Virtue goes out of contract at the end of this season). If Virtue was interested in signing for us (given his injury the offer of a contact would be a vote of confidence similar that we gave to Lewis) we might be able to convince Blackpool to pay a significant proportion of his wages between now and the end of the season. We'd effectively sign a good L1 midfielder for our proportion of his wages up until the end of May.
It had crossed my mind and I imagine it's also crossed the recruitment department's.

A fee might have been wanted by Blackpool in January, if he had been fit but they are going to struggle to get one now. So cost wise could well make sense.

Last edited:
They might want a good L1 midfielder next season though !