Matt Rhead | Vital Football

Matt Rhead

Kentishimp

Vital Squad Member
Seemed to be in a lot of pain toward the end of the match, holding his side and limping.
Hope he's ok for Monday

Yeah was breathing very heavy, didn't half take some whacks.
Give him Monday with other options, give Marriott a start believe he did well at Gateshead in the trophy and lead them a merry dance at our place back in August.

I noticed he was holding his side after Anderson's goal. Surely it is now time for Marriott to have a start? Incredible really to keep this run of ours going with so few goals from frontmen.

The Imposter - 15/4/2017 20:12

I noticed he was holding his side after Anderson's goal. Surely it is now time for Marriott to have a start? Incredible really to keep this run of ours going with so few goals from frontmen.
Yeah, to score 105(?) odd goals this season and our top scorer on 13 is incredible. Talk about sharing the goals around!

104 goals scored to be precise.

78 in the league + 26 in the two cups = 104.

Rhead it was who scored the all-important 100th!

Sheff imp - 16/4/2017 12:23

Margetts' back too, wouldn't be surprised to see him picked over Marriott if Rheady is injured

After Marriott's performance on Friday, I would be very surprised.

Cowley said Marriott needs a warm up act which he describes as a gun forward (think someone who does lots of running?) - I don't really see Marriott starting but I do think he could feature more in the last 30 winning, losing or drawing.

Skip155 - 16/4/2017 13:50

Cowley said Marriott needs a warm up act which he describes as a gun forward (think someone who does lots of running?) - I don't really see Marriott starting but I do think he could feature more in the last 30 winning, losing or drawing.

Whilst I get that, the Cowleys have persevered with Knott who, to me, is a sort of mid-field Marriott.

NottyImp - 16/4/2017 13:52

Whilst I get that, the Cowleys have persevered with Knott who, to me, is a sort of mid-field Marriott.

I think Knott is a quality player lacking confidence and quite badly out of form. I have no evidence to support what is essentially just a feeling though.

Skip155 - 16/4/2017 14:36

NottyImp - 16/4/2017 13:52

I think Knott is a quality player lacking confidence and quite badly out of form. I have no evidence to support what is essentially just a feeling though.

I suppose that's my point, really.

It's difficult to tell what "kind" of player Marriott is as we've seen so little of him. What I have seen suggests an additional bit of quality of play that, perhaps, Muldoon and others don't have. His influence in the brief period he had against Torquay was, indirectly, decisive for the positive result.

Marriott has that touch of class that some of our other strikers do not possess although he obviously cannot sustain it for long periods hence his many sub appearances.

Margetts is a perplexing case too. It just hasn't happened for him during his second spell has it? Would you keep him on next season?

I think Knott is a better player than he's shown so far, but i've missed a few games lately so can't make a full judgement. I get the impession he's an unlocker of defences, picking the ball up deep and looking for runners - which doesn't really fit with how Rhead and even Muldoon play.

I think Knott is a better player than he's shown so far, but i've missed a few games lately so can't make a full judgement. I get the impession he's an unlocker of defences, picking the ball up deep and looking for runners - which doesn't really fit with how Rhead and even Muldoon play.

Knott needs a full pre season. He has obvious talent but just lacks the ability to really get around the pitch presently.