Matt Phillips | Vital Football

Matt Phillips

Blades58

Vital Reserves Team
In for him it seems?

Final year of contract

Anyone remember him and Billy CLARKE on loan from Blackpool?

EXCLUSIVE By Pete O’Rourke

Sheffield United and Brighton have made approaches to sign West Brom winger Matt Phillips, Football Insider understands.

A good player when on loan but I am not sure where he would fit now ?. If there is any money left after McBurnie I would like a defensive midfielder.

Matt Phillips is a very good winger, but I don't see the point in us being interested. He can play central midfield in an emergency, but based on what I saw for West Brom last season he isn't good enough at it to play there in the Premier League. He is also a poor defender, so he wouldn't be a good option at wing back either.

He was brilliant for us but that was a while ago I liked what I saw of him last season for West Brom and said on here I wouldn’t mind him back a few backheeled that scenario but just wikid him and he’s still only 28 and I’d still take him,good player imo

Matt Phillips is a very good winger, but I don't see the point in us being interested. He can play central midfield in an emergency, but based on what I saw for West Brom last season he isn't good enough at it to play there in the Premier League. He is also a poor defender, so he wouldn't be a good option at wing back either.
We won’t be rigidly sticking to our formation and previous way of playing Chris has already said he will have to change at times I think he would be a good option to have

A good player when on loan but I am not sure where he would fit now ?. If there is any money left after McBurnie I would like a defensive midfielder.
same here bfl although matt phillips would be an excellent addition to the squad and as bully says chris has said there will be times when we have to tweak our system but im with you definetly need another defensive midfielder in imo

I've read that United will still try and sign Maupay if they can agree on a deal - though I expect he'll go elsewhere

I've read that United will still try and sign Maupay if they can agree on a deal - though I expect he'll go elsewhere

I'm sure that we were after both McBurnie and Maupay at one time (regardless of what that muppet Nixon says) but the writing was on the wall as soon as we signed Mousset. I doubt we would go back in for him now even if we hadn't moved on, as CW wants players who want to play for us.

Sky are reporting that Brighton are now "leading the race" to sign him, possibly because they are the only ones still running. He has spent pre-season sulking in France and hasn't played any friendlies, so I imagine he will be off the pace for a while if they do sign him. Might get a few million knocked off the asking price though, if Brentford become desperate to move on a player who clearly doesn't want to play for them anymore...

I'm sure that we were after both McBurnie and Maupay at one time (regardless of what that muppet Nixon says) but the writing was on the wall as soon as we signed Mousset. I doubt we would go back in for him now even if we hadn't moved on, as CW wants players who want to play for us.

Sky are reporting that Brighton are now "leading the race" to sign him, possibly because they are the only ones still running. He has spent pre-season sulking in France and hasn't played any friendlies, so I imagine he will be off the pace for a while if they do sign him. Might get a few million knocked off the asking price though, if Brentford become desperate to move on a player who clearly doesn't want to play for them anymore...
think your right there sirod as soon as mousset signed think that was the end for maupay chris had obviously had enough and moved on looks like he will end up at brighton now