Matt Green | Page 2 | Vital Football

Matt Green

It probably worked out pretty well for him in truth: although he did not want to go, realistically he was not going to get a game at Lincoln. Furthermore, he would have received a good signing-on fee from Salford, good wages, a good contract pay-off, and has won another promotion. There will be plenty of League Two and National League clubs interested.

Financially with all the bits added up it was probably a good move for him, and us, several 'local' sides will be interested in him, think cod land may beckon.
The 4 ? goals he did score were,if my memory is not playing up, quite crucial ones, so maybe Salford didn't do too badly out of it either. We saw the best of him here, playing off Rheady, liked him as a guy and player. Good luck to him. UTI.

He's a better signing than Whitehouse is for them however interesting both our players they've taken are "workhorses" (doesn't it sound good for Cods to be taking our cast-offs!!).

At least half his games will be away.
Sorry for him though to have to play the other half at dreadful Blundell Park.

With this news the bookies have slashed the Grimsby odds for relegation, now 2nd favourites to go down. I wonder what the odds are on a Grimsby and Scunthorpe both being relegated?

I'm not sure it is a great signing for them to be honest - he couldn't get a game last season at Lincoln, and Salford got rid of him very quickly. Green depends on pace and mobility for whatever he offers a side and cannot be relied upon for goals in my book; but is it possible to be as mobile at almost 33 and onwards?

I'm not sure it is a great signing for them to be honest - he couldn't get a game last season at Lincoln, and Salford got rid of him very quickly. Green depends on pace and mobility for whatever he offers a side and cannot be relied upon for goals in my book; but is it possible to be as mobile at almost 33 and onwards?

He did however play plenty of games in a playoff chasing side the year before, a season he scored a comparable number of goals to JA this season just gone

I still think it's a good signing for Town, but then again he only scored twice in his last 17 games with Salford so maybe they thought he'd gone. Those long spells without a goal have become something of a problem for Greeny recently.

I think at some points Greeny was running all over the park trying to stretch teams in 17-18 a la Theo Robinson. It would probably do him good to be a bit more controlled as a central striker, but still working pretty hard. I think a lot of the time he wasn't really playing as a proper off the shoulder forward. Still made nineteen league appearances with us before he went, too, so it wasn't as if he was completely shunned.

Get the feeling it not working out at Salford was more about location/wanting to stay back over here rather than not being a decent player.

Salford will be signing L1 standard players. I wouldn't think this is the saying he isn't good enough to play in L2, more that they will blow more cash on someone better.
I doubt Greeny is losing much sleep over it either. 2 year deal, pay off, nearer home, more game time etc. Blunder Park is the only downside to it.

A decent signing for them in their quest for the dizzy heights of mid-table mediocrity of the 4th Tier something they haven't achieved for 12 years!

To think, we used to be grateful for the likes of Bobby Cumming, who I recall had seen better days when we signed him back in 87' .... how times have changed eh?

How times change, Grimsby signing our former players not the other way around.
Good luck to Matt, he may need it!