Match Thread: Villa v West Ham under the Monday Night Lights | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Villa v West Ham under the Monday Night Lights

It is still too early to be pushing any opinion with absolute certainty but overall I do get the impression that other managers have sussed out how to nullify our threat when we have the ball.

I'm 50/50 on leaving them to work it out for a few more games or whether to change the formation somewhat.

I'm not yet convinced we have the players required to play the way I think DS wants us to play. We're a mere £130m team in the PL so we're not likely to pulling up trees over a season and perhaps we do just need a few more games to gel but it's not difficult at this stage to point fingers at El Ghazi and Wes as not contributing enough.

That said, we have an outrageously talented three of JG, JM and Jota in midfield but they're clearly not able to impose themselves in these games.

My shout for Arsenal on Sunday is to play both Nakamba and Luiz as DMs so the likes of JG can spend at least some time in front of the bloody ball sacrificing El Ghazi or Jota to make the 11.

Well that was utter rubbish and has for wes least said the better. he is no better than Davis both of them are useless but one cost 22mil. And has for jack you can see why he is not getting picked for England

When JG is dancing around the opposition box he has at least two if not three players within two yards of him. The amount of players he could potentially take out of the game is frightening, he needs to release the ball quicker sometimes but if we had an Edna Stevens type on the left hand side making direct runs into the opposition penalty box who isn’t afraid to get the ball in an attacking position it would unlock a way to goal from the left hand side.

There is a lot of debate on here with posters being criticised for criticising players, but we are going to have to be ruthless in January.

Very disappointing, disjointed and sometimes lethargic. Players had better wake up quick or there are going to be some beatings. I’d think about playing both Nakamba and Luiz and Grealish needs to be moved up front to join Wesley who doesn’t look worth £1m let alone £22m.

That was poor. The lack of imagination in the final 3rd was Bruce esq. I think we'll stay up but on this evidence so far nothing more than that.

Bottom line .

Prem quality - heaton Mings Engels McGinn Grealish

The others aren't . Keep playing this way we WILL go down again

Did you think West Ham were better than us today?

So far, we haven't been outclassed by anyone except Spurs in the last 10 minutes. We don't look out of place in this league. We just need to work out how to play to Wesley's strengths instead of his weaknesses.

Very disappointing, disjointed and sometimes lethargic. Players had better wake up quick or there are going to be some beatings. I’d think about playing both Nakamba and Luiz and Grealish needs to be moved up front to join Wesley who doesn’t look worth £1m let alone £22m.
Always the problem...if Wesley isn't a reasonable replacement for Tammy then where are thd goal coming from on a regular basis? Also as I said before the hotchpotch of players bought in the summer are not quality. We've been here before. Tbh grateful for a point before the inevitable arsenal beating.

When JG is dancing around the opposition box he has at least two if not three players within two yards of him. The amount of players he could potentially take out of the game is frightening, he needs to release the ball quicker sometimes but if we had an Edna Stevens type on the left hand side making direct runs into the opposition penalty box who isn’t afraid to get the ball in an attacking position it would unlock a way to goal from the left hand side.

There is a lot of debate on here with posters being criticised for criticising players, but we are going to have to be ruthless in January.

Taylor isn't a bad player but he always looks uncertain about what he's supposed to do with the ball when he goes forward. El Ghazi is frustrating. He is obviously talented and very quick but he can be a headless chicken at times. If we were more certain about our style of play, both players would look better.

Targett £14m not replaced Taylor, injury tonight granted. Wesley £22m has replaced Ambraham. 2 big problems for Smith and the team that have bought these 2 in for a combined £36m.

Wesley is so fucking frustrating. He was isolated for a lot of today but he two great chances he fluffed and he just cannot be falling down like that all the time. He doesn't get decisions go his way but diving will just make it worse.

Too many misplaced passes all over the pitch today, but it feels like it could all click still. Guilbert, Nakamba, Mings, Engels and McGinn can be happy with their performance but the rest need to have a word.

All fair points but there is zero competition for wes or elghazi. Trezuguet is “meh” at best.
To think I didn’t believe Tammy would cut it in the prem, sure missing him now
One or two fans from other west midland clubs are having to backtrack with their views on tammy! Yeah wish we still had him.

Good point in the end as we could have lost it but we never really got going did we.

Huffed and puffed and Smith then subbed our best 2 players.
Wesley looked more Jordan Bowery than Christian Benteke so lads he just looks like a big lumbering lump

Marvelous was indeed Marvellous I thought, Freddie was very good Engels was pure class. Douglas strutted forwards like sir Dennis when he came on.
Jack does everything right except his final ball which was crap. SJM tried as normal
Taylor wtf does he bring to the side I do not know, weak and feeble plus clueless with the ball.

Never really looked like winning it, no doubt we might look better on sky with the hype and 14 action replays of everything.
It's going to be a long hard season without many goals

Last edited:
on a brighter note, West Haaaam is a top 8 club in the eyes of that cockney twat on talk spork Jason cunty, is it?

Their 44m striker is so good he won't be there much longer, he's so good what planet are these cockneys from?

He's as bad as Wesley and twice the price

The attack: Where we did well tonight was down the right hand sand where we got behind their defence a few times. There were some good balls across but nobody in the middle capable of dealing with them.

Down the left we were disjointed and that was largely down to El Ghazi; cut in far too often and invariably slowed the attack down when he had the ball. Taylor got forwards quite a few times but El Ghazi didn't move enough. Thought Taylor had another good game, and indeed the defence as a whole did.

Overall, West Ham looked the more organised but I thought we handled them pretty well. They never looked like scoring.

On to Arsenal. An interesting match. Time for an away win.