MATCH THREAD v Fulham Saturday 16 March 17-30 away | Page 12 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Fulham Saturday 16 March 17-30 away

It's actually shocking ,this defeat, I hope every single one of our players and management realise how much of a fuck up this result is, I'm fuckin fit to be tied. So angry.

Just finished watching the replay, haven't read any posts, here is my contribution.
Call me what ya like when I say all credit to the Cottagers!. I enjoy watching a team play quality football, as-a-team!! Not a bunch of individuals running about like a pack of bloody hairy goats.

Steve, I take issue with your comment "His football's entertaining". It was and will continue to be, so long as it achieves a result, unlike yesterday.
However, I do agree with your conclusion ". There is no way on God's green earth we can win silverware playing this way".
Apology for this but, I did warn ya!

A few things from today's game.
1/ Apologies to LT who called it right on our last game when I stated that on our day we could beat anyone, when he replied, something around those days are too few, he was right.
2/ I do fell there was a feeling of turning up and we'll win today, and indeed the saying 'One Trick Pony' is just starting to emerge.
3/ I hate to blame 1 player but in this instance I'll blame 2 Drags and Udogie were atrocious in defence, and the mid terrible.
4/ Whilst in a way I'm glad, but in what world does Luton, Notts Forest, Bournemouth (FFS) fekin Burnley, come in front of a London Derby, it shows the Beeb do actually have an anti Spurs opinion. We were looking at , at least 2 EFL teams for next season and they are scheduled before us, definitely bias..
Anyways back to the game, as one of the 'Threads' titles says 'No Excuses' we were crap today, everything to go for and yet again we bottled it so no excuses, we weren't even at the races, no heart, commitment, passion, creativity, just an eye on the international break.
Top 5 maybe, Top 3 no chance with these posers.
BTW I detest that Twat Ewobie.

Who'd be a Spurs supporter!

In a lifetime of supporting Spurs the only constant since the early/mid sixties has been the inconsistency. Possibly however, on paper this is as good an all round squad as we have had over that entire period, whereby the fact that this weakness remains is alarming. An inability to be 'winners' is clearly ingrained in the mentality pf the Club, whereby whether it be proven winners like Mourinho and Conte, or wannabes like Postco, nobody can reverse the trend.

After the sparkling performance against Villa last week, it was reasonable to expect, with the opportunity that what was at stake, that we would get more of the same yesterday. Personally I didn't expect a repeat, more likely that we would need to grind out a result, but would have the ability and motivation to do so. Nobody could reasonably have expected however that we would get the thrashing we received, Fulham were very good, we were abject in every respect.

Yesterday was not unique this season though, there have already in previous fixtures been plenty of points dropped, which genuine contenders would not be tossing away. It's inherent, in fact the more I've reflected on the game over the last twelve hours, I'm not surprised at the outcome at all. Next week will be different again.

Last edited:
There are 2 things that I really don't like about this version of Spurs.

1. We are way too soft. We are far too easy to bully. Our midfield has some nice ball players but nowhere near enough bite.

2. Our one stop approach under Ange is driving me crazy. Playing the exact same way week in, week out, regardless of opposition is amateurish. We play like a team of individuals and lack the basic structure of what a football team should be. Ange had the surprise element in the beginning but other coaches have now sussed him out. He can talk all he wants about growth but unless he himself is prepared to change then we ain’t doing shit.

Anyone can lose a game and tbf Fulham were very good yesterday so this isn’t a knee jerk reaction. I just don’t see enough of a rounded approach under Ange to convince me that success will follow. He might have only been here a short time (fair comment) but I see what I see and this isn’t going to end well imo.

We had the chances to get goals and fluffed every one of them - all 6 or 7 and yet we gave them so much space to tear us apart

I am now losing faith in Ange ball - I really am

As long as Levy feels the fans are being entertained the longer Ange will remain in his post. His version of Total Football is gonna take us absolutely nowhere. We're standing still for goodness sake. 5th! If we're not 5th we're 4th or 6th. This isn't progress, it's knowing your place & accepting this is as good as it gets.

As long as Levy feels the fans are being entertained the longer Ange will remain in his post. His version of Total Football is gonna take us absolutely nowhere. We're standing still for goodness sake. 5th! If we're not 5th we're 4th or 6th. This isn't progress, it's knowing your place & accepting this is as good as it gets.

Levy laid his cards on the table at the start of the season, after a couple of wins and being dumped out of the cup

"We've got out Tottenham back"

Updated total points prediction table.

The projected total is based on the average number of points won per game this season so far multiplied by the number of remaining games.

The table order is determined by those tracking closest to the projected score.

Tottenham's projected points total72
PosterPredicted totalTracking
spurs1954720
totalspurs71-1
lijaboc74-2
muttley70-2
cobhspurs69-3
Geofspurs76-4
Pompey Yid76-4
Greavswasthegreatest76-4
Gary Onedaysoon68-4
steveperryman68-4
SheringhamNo1067-5
Spursex66-6
vinniecopenhagen80-8
Walthamstow wanderer80-8
USAFSPURS63-9
TQ2Spurs62-10

r we still paying off the other managers since Poch was sacked and funded til he got another job
1 No No Chancer
2 Moaning Minnie
3 Contrabandit

maybe this is why Ange was signed and backed no matter what - he is cheep whilst we pay off the cobweb mob who promised everything and delivered nothing

I say bring back No 1 Arry :yes: - nah :wagging:

So I'm late to this week as I was away and could only watch the game in full today, some observations:

If I was doing an assessment of how to counter our play, I'd work out you can basically take two approaches to beat us:

1) Deep low block and play hard and fast on counter and believe you can take your chances: that is what Wolves did to us.

2) Use long balls all/through passes out to where the space the backs would normally occupy. As we play with high inverted backs these area's were wide open - the higher we push, the more we squeeze the more we are reliant on fast covering and recovery, which is what VDV would normally give us, but he wasn't playing. Instead, Dragu was thrust in, and in three key moments, didn't do great, it showed he still has much to do to fit in to Ange's system of play.

Missing one important player through injury should not be an insurmountable obstacle — but we are far better team when VDV plays. The stats tell us we have won 12 of the 18 Premier League games he has started this season and lost just twice (one of which he was forced off with injury before half-time), averaging 2.2 points per game. Without him, including this latest defeat, our record is four wins, one draw and four defeats — 1.3 points per game.

That is how critical he's been to Ange's tactic of playing a (at times) mad high line. But he's committed to it and wants everyone to grasp it.

His speed allows us to play much further forward and he’s comfortable moving across to play in wide areas when Udogie pushes upfield. He wasn't there to do that on Saturday.

Dragu endured a very difficult first start : He was caught out by Rodrigo Muniz for Fulham’s first goal and failed to stop Castagne’s cross for Fulham’s second scored by Lukic. For their third, Dragu was left in a heap as Muniz snaffled home a loose ball, whilst he belatedly attempted to make a tackle. Had Muniz not scored, Dragu would surely have given away a penalty for this desperate challenge.

Of course, it wasn't all his fault, as so many looked below par, but it's key moments like these which handed Fulham the ascendancy and ultimately the win. It reminds all of how we'll need better depth and quality in key area's as we progress (which we will).

I'd go as far to say now he is our single most influential critically necessary player in Ange's system and without him, we looked all at sea. Ange rightly put his faith in his replacement but arguably he didn't rise to the opportunity, but he'd have learned from it.

Fulham had our measure and we simply didn't adjust, or couldn't - they knew what to expect, and had the right game plan to beat us, they'd done their homework well and knew we weren't the same team without him.

With VDV back in for our upcoming games, we'll once again see how his intelligence, speed, and skills work, and we'll see a different game.

All of you should know by now that given the way we play, results like this are possible, as hurtful as it is, these are still very early days.

Personally, I think some perspective is in order, we've come a long way in a very short period of time, and unquestionably have much, much more to do.

I've long predicted we'd finish 5th/6th and if we do I'd see this as a magnificent start; Ange knows better than most how many more windows and how many more outgoings and incomings he's got to achieve to get the depth he wants.

It's a cliché, but I can't find any other way that to say to all my Spurs mates who've taken this defeat so hard; he needs time and backing.

I'm convinced, whether by luck or judgement, he's the best thing to happen to us since Poch transformed us all that time ago, and he will too. And this time, we're not building a stadium, we're exploiting one that's now doing what it was designed to do: give us the funds to compete with the biggest and the best.

So hard as it is, let's just have some perspective of where we now are. It will make this loss and the difficult run in we have, much easier to grasp and still retain our positivity about what Ange can and (will, in my mind) deliver.

He said it better than I can, so far, we've made 4 steps forward and made one back. But unquestionably, we've made huge strides forward.

So I'm late to this week as I was away and could only watch the game in full today, some observations:

If I was doing an assessment of how to counter our play, I'd work out you can basically take two approaches to beat us:

1) Deep low block and play hard and fast on counter and believe you can take your chances: that is what Wolves did to us.

2) Use long balls all/through passes out to where the space the backs would normally occupy. As we play with high inverted backs these area's were wide open - the higher we push, the more we squeeze the more we are reliant on fast covering and recovery, which is what VDV would normally give us, but he wasn't playing. Instead, Dragu was thrust in, and in three key moments, didn't do great, it showed he still has much to do to fit in to Ange's system of play.

Missing one important player through injury should not be an insurmountable obstacle — but we are far better team when VDV plays. The stats tell us we have won 12 of the 18 Premier League games he has started this season and lost just twice (one of which he was forced off with injury before half-time), averaging 2.2 points per game. Without him, including this latest defeat, our record is four wins, one draw and four defeats — 1.3 points per game.

That is how critical he's been to Ange's tactic of playing a (at times) mad high line. But he's committed to it and wants everyone to grasp it.

His speed allows us to play much further forward and he’s comfortable moving across to play in wide areas when Udogie pushes upfield. He wasn't there to do that on Saturday.

Dragu endured a very difficult first start : He was caught out by Rodrigo Muniz for Fulham’s first goal and failed to stop Castagne’s cross for Fulham’s second scored by Lukic. For their third, Dragu was left in a heap as Muniz snaffled home a loose ball, whilst he belatedly attempted to make a tackle. Had Muniz not scored, Dragu would surely have given away a penalty for this desperate challenge.

Of course, it wasn't all his fault, as so many looked below par, but it's key moments like these which handed Fulham the ascendancy and ultimately the win. It reminds all of how we'll need better depth and quality in key area's as we progress (which we will).

I'd go as far to say now he is our single most influential critically necessary player in Ange's system and without him, we looked all at sea. Ange rightly put his faith in his replacement but arguably he didn't rise to the opportunity, but he'd have learned from it.

Fulham had our measure and we simply didn't adjust, or couldn't - they knew what to expect, and had the right game plan to beat us, they'd done their homework well and knew we weren't the same team without him.

With VDV back in for our upcoming games, we'll once again see how his intelligence, speed, and skills work, and we'll see a different game.

All of you should know by now that given the way we play, results like this are possible, as hurtful as it is, these are still very early days.

Personally, I think some perspective is in order, we've come a long way in a very short period of time, and unquestionably have much, much more to do.

I've long predicted we'd finish 5th/6th and if we do I'd see this as a magnificent start; Ange knows better than most how many more windows and how many more outgoings and incomings he's got to achieve to get the depth he wants.

It's a cliché, but I can't find any other way that to say to all my Spurs mates who've taken this defeat so hard; he needs time and backing.

I'm convinced, whether by luck or judgement, he's the best thing to happen to us since Poch transformed us all that time ago, and he will too. And this time, we're not building a stadium, we're exploiting one that's now doing what it was designed to do: give us the funds to compete with the biggest and the best.

So hard as it is, let's just have some perspective of where we now are. It will make this loss and the difficult run in we have, much easier to grasp and still retain our positivity about what Ange can and (will, in my mind) deliver.

He said it better than I can, so far, we've made 4 steps forward and made one back. But unquestionably, we've made huge strides forward.
Ah .... the voice of reason. Couldn't agree more, mate.

That has to be the single worst performance i've witnessed since Newcastle last season. I could go into detail as to why we lost but it would be pointless considering there were no bright points during any stage of the game. An apology is in order from staff & players alike.