Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolfsberger AC - Europa League | Page 6 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolfsberger AC - Europa League

Result?

• Win

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From now on he needs to earn the right to show he can do it in the Premier League against better opposition. For three years that hasn't been the case.

If Jose is running a meritocracy, then he will. Dele's problem in the short term might be Bale. Can Jose accommodate Kane, Son, Bale, Dele and Ndombele in the same eleven knowing that our backline is leaking goals? My guess is that Dele will stay on the bench for a few more games.

Nobody gives 2 figs about looking backwards in life. It's the here and now that matters. It's actually quite encouraging to see us heading into the last third of the season with some real competition for the attacking shirts. We also need Sonny to find his mojo again and improve his recent attitude. I hope it is nothing to do with the contract talks.

Dele proved again today he's worth sticking with, worth spending time working hard on the weaknesses in his game because he's got that priceless commodity of end product in spades.

Elsewhere it was great to see Bale looking lively again and the kids getting a run out near the end. Overall, a solid performance from us.

You can only play the opponent in front of you, regardless how good or bad they are.
I'm so pleased for Dele to have a hand in 3 goals. His over head was sublime, his cross to Vini was on a plate, and his passing just wonderful.

I did hear from a little birdie that Dele dedicated his goal and overall performance to Ex. Hoping you're on the mend Ex and that this result has put a wee smile on your dial.

If Jose is running a meritocracy, then he will. Dele's problem in the short term might be Bale. Can Jose accommodate Kane, Son, Bale, Dele and Ndombele in the same eleven knowing that our backline is leaking goals? My guess is that Dele will stay on the bench for a few more games.

Nobody gives 2 figs about looking backwards in life. It's the here and now that matters. It's actually quite encouraging to see us heading into the last third of the season with some real competition for the attacking shirts. We also need Sonny to find his mojo again and improve his recent attitude. I hope it is nothing to do with the contract talks.

My bigger concern is Kane. Son just needs a goal or two to get going again, but Kane's pattern of being super human world class for 3 or 4 games, being the main reason behind us beating teams and then disappearing, almost hiding until a pen or free kick pop up, is getting old.

As for Dele, I see no reason why Son, Kane, Dele, Bale and Ndombele cannot all be on the pitch at the same time IF Hojbjerg drops back when we attack and does a proper DM role.

Strange example, but if Harry was managing this team you could bet money that he'd have all those attacking players in the first 11. He'd just make it work because that talent is what wins you trophies.

This game was always going to be about how many goals we chose to score. I'll settle for 4-0 as it gives me two predictor correct scores on the bounce!
Despite the weakness of the opposition it was great to see a bit of vintage Dele and Gareth. A reminder of better times for both players, which hopefully indicates that there is still more to come.
This competition now starts for real, and it would be great to see both Alli and Bale being major influencers in our going deep into the competition.

Vini may have his limitations outside the penalty area but inside the box he's a very good finisher. He has an instinct for being in the right place. His loan is definitely worth extending for another year to see how he develops. He may not be worth the £40m release clause at the end but he'll be a valuable asset to the squad up until then.

From the limited bits I saw on the highlights , we played well . Good pace and energy .
Vinicius did well to win the ball , then was unlucky when he went around the keeper only to have it cleared off the line , .
You can’t really ask anything else of him , go out there , get amongst it and score goals . Never mind who the opposition are , that isn’t down to him .
Alli played well , looked up for it , so did Bale .
Jose is gushing over Dane Scarlett , saying he is going to be in the first team squad next season . So that has put the kibosh on Vini staying , I would imagine .
Given how many we rested , it was a good performance .

My bigger concern is Kane. Son just needs a goal or two to get going again, but Kane's pattern of being super human world class for 3 or 4 games, being the main reason behind us beating teams and then disappearing, almost hiding until a pen or free kick pop up, is getting old..

This over and over again. Hit the nail on the head about Kane. He is undoubtedly world class. But 3 or 4 games and then the shadow of the player for another 3-4 is no good for us. It ruins everyone else’s game as they don’t know which Kane will turn up. Alongside similar from Son, it’s a nightmare.

From the limited bits I saw on the highlights , we played well . Good pace and energy .
Vinicius did well to win the ball , then was unlucky when he went around the keeper only to have it cleared off the line , .
You can’t really ask anything else of him , go out there , get amongst it and score goals . Never mind who the opposition are , that isn’t down to him .
Alli played well , looked up for it , so did Bale .
Jose is gushing over Dane Scarlett , saying he is going to be in the first team squad next season . So that has put the kibosh on Vini staying , I would imagine .
Given how many we rested , it was a good performance .

With Vini he needs to work really hard at the first touch. It was bordering on poor last night at times. He definitely has the instinct in front of goal though. 9 goals and 2 assists in 8 starts and 10 sub appearance is not to be scoffed at.

As for Scarlett, his ultimate test will be whether he can hit the back of the net. Not yet though. He should just enjoy his 20 mins of fame and his assist. He can also always tell everyone that if Vini hadn't stolen the ball off of him then he would have scored !!!

Vini may have his limitations outside the penalty area but inside the box he's a very good finisher. He has an instinct for being in the right place. His loan is definitely worth extending for another year to see how he develops. He may not be worth the £40m release clause at the end but he'll be a valuable asset to the squad up until then.
It's taken me a while to warm to him, but I'm inclined to agree with this. He's by no means a complete player, but he certainly has the knack of being in the right place at the right time, and his conversion rate is excellent. He's certainly worth persevering with, but my fear is that with the Europa League now reaching the 'serious' stage, he may just disappear as Kane and Son will be automatic selections from now on in this competition and the Carabao Cup final. My view is that he should form part of an ongoing rotation with Kane and Son in the PL for the rest of the season. We're only going to know whether he is going to be PL standard by giving him the opportunity to prove himself. The balance of our PL season is going to be pretty inconsequential, giving good opportunity for the Club getting some benefit via fringe players either proving themselves, or being discarded in the summer.

Wolfsberger really is shit...not taking anything from this. Good game time for some scrubs
True USA, but keep in mind, despite how poor they were, they carved out some very easy and simple chances. Play against a semi-decent side and we'd be calling upon Kane and Son to bail us out.

BTW, I'd put that down to poor midfield of Sissoko and Winks. Sissoko was just doing his own thing - bull in china shop!

This over and over again. Hit the nail on the head about Kane. He is undoubtedly world class. But 3 or 4 games and then the shadow of the player for another 3-4 is no good for us. It ruins everyone else’s game as they don’t know which Kane will turn up. Alongside similar from Son, it’s a nightmare.
Yep and the whole set up of the team (latter years of Poch and now Jose) was/is built around those two. IMO, partly the reason why Bale never got a proper look in. If Bale and Dele can add to the competition for places and Jose does select players on form (rather than reputation), can only be good for the team.

True USA, but keep in mind, despite how poor they were, they carved out some very easy and simple chances. Play against a semi-decent side and we'd be calling upon Kane and Son to bail us out.

BTW, I'd put that down to poor midfield of Sissoko and Winks. Sissoko was just doing his own thing - bull in china shop!

Oh spot on Crit...I agree 100% That is why I am not getting on the 'we are back' train yet...not even close.

........................Lloris

Tanganga.......Toby.......Dier..........Reggie

Doh_Toby_Rodon_Reggie is much better, see, there's no Dier init.

Tanga_Snchz_Rodon_Davies is much better, see, there's no Dier init.

Doh_Rodon_Davies_Reggie is much better, see, there's no Dier inint.

Toby_Doh_Reggie_Tanga is much better.... Ok mabe not "much" but absolutely a "little better", see, there's no Dier init.

Another thing that makes it better, we get our new very good underplayed young Cb signing getting good game time.

Another thing that makes it even WAAAAAAY better, is that NONE OF THEM HAVE AURIER init.

:smoke:

Doh_Toby_Rodon_Reggie is much better, see, there's no Dier init.

Tanga_Snchz_Rodon_Davies is much better, see, there's no Dier init.

Doh_Rodon_Davies_Reggie is much better, see, there's no Dier inint.

Toby_Doh_Reggie_Tanga is much better.... Ok mabe not "much" but absolutely a "little better", see, there's no Dier init.

Another thing that makes it better, we get our new very good underplayed young Cb signing getting good game time.

Another thing that makes it even WAAAAAAY better, is that NONE OF THEM HAVE AURIER init.

:smoke:

:rofl::thumbup: