MATCH THREAD … The NLD 28/4/24 Home | Page 27 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD … The NLD 28/4/24 Home

Arsenal didn't turn up but then again due to how poor we were at set pieces they didn't have to.

Arsenal's set pieces weren't anything special. It's the same thing that teams have been doing to us all season. Drive the cross to the front post and put somebody on the unprotected keeper and it has a good chance of a goal. We finally decided to change this at half time after 30 odd games and it mainly nullified their set piece threat. We would have won otherwise, as that team were there for the taking.

Imagine if the team trained at defending physically on set pieces like they did in the second half. How many more points would we have? Yes you can argue that White (and the player in every other game) is fouling the keeper but the reality is that refs apply the rules differently in the box so we need to adapt our defending and make the most of those rules by getting away with holding.

I fear that that style of defending is against Ange's philosophy about football and it could be his downfall. It's the only reason I can think of for us still to be getting beat by it this far in to the season. It will be interesting to see if we apply the 2nd half approach in the next game or revert to type. That will be the key indicator on if Ange is willing to budge one inch.

Also, Son can fuck off. He wasn't just bad yesterday but he played like a coward scared to do anything which is a million times worse.

I agree

Not even sure it is right to call them 'Dark Arts'....literally everyone is doing it...it is a tactic and it works until it doesn't.
Oh thats agreed me ole mukka, but "Dark Arts" is the trade name for cheating lol!

We need to bring more of it into our game, being fair isn't working! cos as you say literally everyone does it.

The one BUT I have is....the way the Refs n VAR treat us, we might end wiv a number of players suspended.

It's time to focus on the chav's, I'll demote this thread this evening - no point navel glazing anymore - we got beat fair and square, they were better than us.

Is Rice an English stalwart?
Just the way I see it Sleaf, Shearer, Kane on a few occasions got away with a couple of red card offences, Grealish and Henderson before him got away with more guerning at the ref than anyone I've seen, if you're an England player, and particularly captain, you do get away with that little bit more.
Sorry folks it's true....