Match Thread Swindon v Blackpool | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread Swindon v Blackpool

Apart from the goal we didn't really show any forward intent in a poor first half
Second half we scored another good goal and should have had more. Swindon looked poor and only really troubled us a couple of times. Professional, deserved win.

Just hope Grettarsen was taken off as a precaution and that Jerry stays fit to the end of the season!
We do need to start to win consistently at home now, beat Gillingham and start opening a gap on those below

I thought we were comfortable today.
After greedy Brett missed what turned out to be their best chance of the game early doors we just grew with possession and played a waiting game.
On the +side not an overly energetic game wasn't a bad thing.
A wins a win, and we will be talking about this for decades, well not us but the youth, remember when we won 5 straight away league wins on the bounce, without conceding a goal.

My MOTM was Embleton. Fantastic first half show from him.
Dougall was an inspired signing and I think Ward plays a lot better than fans give him credit for.

And for those who forgot what a ***t Sheridan is:

SWINDON Town manager John Sheridan maintained there was nothing to split his side and Blackpool after the Tangerines won 2-0 at the County Ground on Good Friday.

With a balanced game appearing to head into the break goalless, a superb volley from Ellis Simms put Neil Critchley’s side in front.

And 15 minutes into the second period, former Town loanee Jerry Yates made the points safe for play-off chasing Blackpool after springing the offside trap and rounding Lee Camp in the Town goal.
Town only produced four shots – with one on target – compared to Blackpool’s 11 and three on target, but despite this, Sheridan felt the scoreline should have been far closer than it was.
Speaking after the defeat, Sheridan said: “I’m always disappointed in the end result when we’ve lost the game 2-0, and we know the importance of trying to pick points up because of the situation we’re in in the league, but there wasn’t anything between the teams if I’m being brutally honest.

“I think we gifted them the two goals they got, I think we had the better chances in the game and didn’t take them.
“I think Brett will agree with me – he’s been in excellent form recently, but he’s had two great opportunities to score.
“The first in the first 10 minutes, he didn’t hit the target and he hasn’t made the ‘keeper save it. It’s a great chance, probably the best chance of the game.”

After two consecutive victories before an extended break, Town set up in the same formation as they had done previously.
The defensive style did appear to be working in attempting to make Sheridan’s men more solid at the back, but then a slight error from Ellis Iandolo saw the good early work undone.
The Swindon manager said afterwards he was not going to be too hard on his players after their recent efforts, but Sheridan could not avoid the fact his stand-in centre-back had made a costly error.

Sheridan said: “The killer punch is when they’ve had a bit of possession without really hurting us, and they end up scoring just before half-time.
“It’s very avoidable, the goal – it’s young Ellis, who’s been magnificent for me since he’s come into the team.
“It’s just a question of him stepping two yards earlier, and he should read where the ball is going to go.
“It looks a great finish from their kid, but I’m just disappointed we’ve come away with nothing really against a good team.”

I thought we were comfortable today.
After greedy Brett missed what turned out to be their best chance of the game early doors we just grew with possession and played a waiting game.
On the +side not an overly energetic game wasn't a bad thing.
A wins a win, and we will be talking about this for decades, well not us but the youth, remember when we won 5 straight away league wins on the bounce, without conceding a goal.

My MOTM was Embleton. Fantastic first half show from him.
Dougall was an inspired signing and I think Ward plays a lot better than fans give him credit for.
Agreed.

ive been one to criticise Ward in the past, particularly at the start of the year when I just didn’t think he was adding anything to the midfield, but actually with Dougall (and Stewart) he’s almost been a luxury we can afford. Clearly he’s had more of a license to roam and drive forwards when he’s on the ball, and subsequently we are seeing so much less of those backwards and sideways passes we became used to.

Defence is just generally so well drilled and organised now, it’s unbelievable how far it’s come.

the only flaw in our squad is the lack of wide players, Simms and Yates (and Madine) are quality through the middle, we won today despite KK doing absolutely nothing IMO.

Another delusional manager.

I said to Sexy earlier - Dougal got our season on track we looked poor until his arrival and steadied the ship even though he was clearly not match fit. He has protected that ever changing defence and for me is already my player of the season. Great job protecting the left flank today too.

It's looking so good for next season as this young team gel. Let's keep reminding ourselves how many injuries we've had and the bench is so weak.

Big concern is the lack of options up front if Jerry gets injured I can't see Simms running the front line every week.

I thought Viking and Ward were very good today. Good substitution with Simms at the right time.

Professional performance again today - well done Pool.

Rollout the arrogant fat git on Monday.

UTVMP!!

Yes, Gobber Evans is a vile creature and I can never understand why he wasn't banned sine die after his tax fraud case. One of my fondest memories of him was when he brought title chasing Boston to Bath City for a crunch match. City won and as the teams left the field in a flurry of snow the tannoy cheekily played WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS. The Fat Gobber went apoplectic with rage and turned a fine shade of puce before uttering a foul mouthed volley of abuse at the jeering crowd. The snow got heavier and they didnt get home till breakfast. How we laughed.

KK is a genie stuck in a bottle. There is only one way for him to get out of it more often to influence games....a four letter word WORK...there's the rub.

KK is a genie stuck in a bottle. There is only one way for him to get out of it more often to influence games....a four letter word WORK...there's the rub.
You are right Bear. I've said it loads. He's out best footballer but all potential. I'd still like him to get a run behind the front man playing more central.

Two really good goals well taken today. The icing on the cake would have been Embleton finally finding his range for someone in lge1, but I guess that's why he's here. The rare occasions the ball has been put in front of Simms so far though he's looked like someone who doesn't mess about and will shoot early, even from an angle.

Glad Brett Pitman didn't have the same effect with that early chance though. But they looked an old creaky team with him and Caddis, Grant and Camp. And devoid of ideas towards the end (four subs at once is the new admittance the game is done). Why can't the opposition needlessly keep putting the ball out of play for throws in to us when our achilles heel strikes and we start panicking about defending a one goal lead in [home] games?!

Dread to think what the Gillingham Giants are going to do to Dan Grets on Monday. Looks a classy player in possession (those forward passes, that second goal) and committed (if he's got off his sick bed/bolloxed from new kid syndrome), but I've yet to see him come away from a game without having taken some sort of a shoeing. He had a face like a broken VHS tape at the end of the Hull home game.

I'm really comfortable with Big Marv + Icelnadic lad as our CH's.
Marv, not missed a game until that hammy, Icelandic lad, hammy, lost teeth, last Sat 3 whacks and same again yesterday. I'm not buying the "he hadn't eaten" story from NC and will be pleasantly surprised if he turns out on Monday.
Some players just appear to be injury prone, I'm hoping DG doesn't prove to be one of these - we already have one in Virtue whilst Madine is pushing him close at the minute...

DG would definitely benefit from some gym work in pre-season wouldn't he? He's got all the hallmarks of being a really good player, just needs a touch more physicality for when he comes up against the likes of Gillingham's front two.

At one stage I noticed KK with acres of space to run down the left wing, He played the ball inside instead. I was totally baffled. I just don't get some of this passing for the sake of it, or is he just a bit lazy ? So your probably right Bear.

Last edited:
Two really good goals well taken today. The icing on the cake would have been Embleton finally finding his range for someone in lge1, but I guess that's why he's here. The rare occasions the ball has been put in front of Simms so far though he's looked like someone who doesn't mess about and will shoot early, even from an angle.

Glad Brett Pitman didn't have the same effect with that early chance though. But they looked an old creaky team with him and Caddis, Grant and Camp. And devoid of ideas towards the end (four subs at once is the new admittance the game is done). Why can't the opposition needlessly keep putting the ball out of play for throws in to us when our achilles heel strikes and we start panicking about defending a one goal lead in [home] games?!

Dread to think what the Gillingham Giants are going to do to Dan Grets on Monday. Looks a classy player in possession (those forward passes, that second goal) and committed (if he's got off his sick bed/bolloxed from new kid syndrome), but I've yet to see him come away from a game without having taken some sort of a shoeing. He had a face like a broken VHS tape at the end of the Hull home game.

The trick will be to limit Gillingham's front two by winning the midfield and let them worry about us instead. They will win the head tennis so we need to play it on the floor
If we score, one goal it won't be enough, lets put it that way.
They're a horrible, none footballing side.