Match Thread: Swindon Town v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Lincoln City

Scruffy

Scrappy

Untidy

Bitty

I've just looked at the league table and for some unknown reason, they've still given us 3 points.

Ipswich (64% possession) lost 3-0 at home.

Charlton (63% possession) lost 4-2

Not every team plays like champions every week, particularly in 3rd division.

Watching that game I was glad I wasn't a Swindon supporter.

Even if we made rather hard work of winning the game we never looked like losing it.

Second half, there were still too many poor final balls, but it was an improvement on the first half.

Even if Montsma hadn't got the goal I would still have been man of the match for me - he looked a different class. Jackson also hardly put a foot wrong.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's not convinced by Gotts at right back.

Scully was very disappointing, and despite the usual feeling that Grant does better in the centre of midfield I thought he looked a lot better tonight when he took Scully's place on the left. Good performances from Bridcutt, and Hopper in the second half.
Gotts is not a right back and Edun aint a left un.

One thing I noticed, the pitch seemed very fast. Almost like playing on plastic. That highlights the slightest error in accuracy and weight of passing. Total contrast on the back of the Accrington game, and it took us most of the match to adapt to. Even without crowds, you can see how there are other ‘home‘ advantages

Even if we made rather hard work of winning the game we never looked like losing it.

Second half, there were still too many poor final balls, but it was an improvement on the first half.

Even if Montsma hadn't got the goal he would still have been man of the match for me - he looked a different class. Jackson also hardly put a foot wrong.

Scully was very disappointing, and despite the usual feeling that Grant does better in the centre of midfield I thought he looked a lot better tonight when he took Scully's place on the left. Good performances from Bridcutt, and Hopper in the second half.
I believe Swindon had 10 players missing and theoretically this was by far their weakest side put out this season with about 3 kids to make up the bench. Jack Payne still couldn't get a start though.

Scrappy but also very encouraging. You have to admire them sticking to their principles even when not playing well. They certainly aren’t a footballing side with a soft centre, it’s looking like they can grind it out when they need to.

Also happen to think the lack of crowds might be helping us. I can certainly imagine some of our ‘support’ getting on the players backs if not performing like a cross between Cafu and Roberto Carlos.

I believe Swindon had 10 players missing and theoretically this was by far their weakest side put out this season with about 3 kids to make up the bench. Jack Payne still couldn't get a start though.

Payne seems to play one sit out one. I think Sheridan played for a point from the start tonight with their 'tactics'

Even if Montsma hadn't got the goal he would still have been man of the match for me - he looked a different class. Jackson also hardly put a foot wrong.

Excellent appraisal.

That is really strange, he started off at City like a little demon, but faded into ignominy. Seems to happen wherever he plays, and he failed here under Cowley and Appo. Must be a fundamental problem with the lad.

One thing I noticed, the pitch seemed very fast. Almost like playing on plastic. That highlights the slightest error in accuracy and weight of passing. Total contrast on the back of the Accrington game, and it took us most of the match to adapt to. Even without crowds, you can see how there are other ‘home‘ advantages

Should have talked to the Cowleys about how to water a pitch.

Hard work against the worst side we have played all season, but they never looked like scoring and another clean sheet. Not to be sneezed at.

9 goals conceded from 13 games is why we are in the play-offs. No one can argue about our position when we have the meanest defence in the league.

Scrappy but also very encouraging. You have to admire them sticking to their principles even when not playing well. They certainly aren’t a footballing side with a soft centre, it’s looking like they can grind it out when they need to.

Also happen to think the lack of crowds might be helping us. I can certainly imagine some of our ‘support’ getting on the players backs if not performing like a cross between Cafu and Roberto Carlos.
When did you last hear that, Crewe?

He didn't say so but I think team selection showed that MA was confident we could beat Swindon while giving Harry, TJ and McGrandles a rest.

It also showed we are taking the FA cup seriously and MA rates Plymouth as more of a challenge than Swindon.

I thought Gotts battled hard at right back. Being a slightly built young lad of five foot nothing and about nine stones is not the obvious qualification for being part of the back four.
As everyone as said he isn't a right back nor probably claims to be one. Even so, being able to do a job well enough for us to keep a clean sheet and take three points away from home, while giving your first choice (TJ) a rest, is all credit to him.

He didn't say so but I think team selection showed that MA was confident we could beat Swindon while giving Harry, TJ and McGrandles a rest.

It also showed we are taking the FA cup seriously and MA rates Plymouth as more of a challenge than Swindon.

I thought Gotts battled hard at right back. Being a slightly built young lad of five foot nothing and about nine stones is not the obvious qualification for being part of the back four.
As everyone as said he isn't a right back nor probably claims to be one. Even so, being able to do a job well enough for us to keep a clean sheet and take three points away from home, while giving your first choice (TJ) a rest, is all credit to him.
Fair comment, but he's a midfielder.