MATCH THREAD: Spurs vs Villa - Sunday, 26 Nov | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD: Spurs vs Villa - Sunday, 26 Nov

USAFSPURS

Vital Football Legend
Staff member
Ok all....this will be a very tough match....COACH EM UP AP!!!!!

And discuss....

I'm absolutely dreading their pace and midfield v Dier/Davies and the midfield options we have

We are going to get pumped.

Outscoring them is our only chance of getting something from this game. (obviously)

I'm absolutely dreading their pace and midfield v Dier/Davies and the midfield options we have
They are very strong in the middle of the park.

I think Ange will start the same team as Vs Wolves but with Udogie in for Royal and Bentancur in for Bissouma.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing a midfield 3 of Udogie, Bentancur and Sarr for this game.

Udogie has played most of his football in midfield for us anyways and offers the required bite and athleticism alongside Bentancur and Sarr in what will be a very competitive part of the field.

For me

Vicario
Porro Dier Davies Royal
Sarr Bentancur Udogie
Kulusevski Sonny Johnson

They are very strong in the middle of the park.

I think Ange will start the same team as Vs Wolves but with Udogie in for Royal and Bentancur in for Bissouma.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing a midfield 3 of Udogie, Bentancur and Sarr for this game.

Udogie has played most of his football in midfield for us anyways and offers the required bite and athleticism alongside Bentancur and Sarr in what will be a very competitive part of the field.

For me

Vicario
Porro Dier Davies Royal
Sarr Bentancur Udogie
Kulusevski Sonny Johnson
Sheri I quite like that team, but I do ave my reservations of the 2 in the middle of defence, the DDD, Dreaded Dier n Davies lol!

I have deeper reservations about that team, but its the best we can offer with injuries and susp's. Scott makes a point about outscoring them to win; but we only have one regular goal scorer in that front six. If he has a game as against the Wolves, we are royally....!

Sheri I quite like that team, but I do ave my reservations of the 2 in the middle of defence, the DDD, Dreaded Dier n Davies lol!
Me too Pomp but unless Ange feels that Phillips is ready we don’t have any other option.

The fact that Dier and Davies started against Wolves suggest that Ange we continue with them until Romero is back.

Me too Pomp but unless Ange feels that Phillips is ready we don’t have any other option.

The fact that Dier and Davies started against Wolves suggest that Ange we continue with them until Romero is back.
Not sure about no other options S10, why not play his Royal highness in place of either of the DD's.

Mind we would ave RD back then lol!

My take on it is that we need to get as close to our first team as possible and keep them in their normal positions.

Venom
Porro, ????, ????, Udogie
Sarr, ????
Kulu, ????, Johnson
Sonny

Working front to back, Madds shirt surely needs to go to Gio. Prior to injury, he had a very good pre-season. Now is the time to get him in and let him show whether he can pull the strings with that double pivot behind him.

Bentancur for Biss for me is a no brainer. That match fitness is increasing, so try and get the 70 mins out of Bents before bringing him off.

As for centre half, it's 2 out of Davies, Dier and Emerson for me. There is an argument for Phillips, but that is not a gamble I would take.

My take on it is that we need to get as close to our first team as possible and keep them in their normal positions.

Venom
Porro, ????, ????, Udogie
Sarr, ????
Kulu, ????, Johnson
Sonny

Working front to back, Madds shirt surely needs to go to Gio. Prior to injury, he had a very good pre-season. Now is the time to get him in and let him show whether he can pull the strings with that double pivot behind him.

Bentancur for Biss for me is a no brainer. That match fitness is increasing, so try and get the 70 mins out of Bents before bringing him off.

As for centre half, it's 2 out of Davies, Dier and Emerson for me. There is an argument for Phillips, but that is not a gamble I would take.
Like that set up, the dilemma is for me Dier or Davies, Emerson is a no brainer certainly plays CB.

There for me would be 3no with a certain amount of pace across our back line.

Like that set up, the dilemma is for me Dier or Davies, Emerson is a no brainer certainly plays CB.

There for me would be 3no with a certain amount of pace across our back line.

So you would have Emerson as 1st choice and one of Dier or Davies as the other?

I'm not sure I would go into a game without a six-footer in that central defence, but it seems a shame for Davies to miss out after his last game.

I actually think it will be Emerson who misses out.

Sorry for me it will be the 3rd loss on the bike (esp with Sonny and Kulu off form) ... the fringe players just cannot play Ange's system and that is now plain to see.

We need to muddle on until the window opens in January but our time at the top is over imho esp with the Injuries and loss of players thru poor individual discipline etc and then the loss of players in January through Intl tournaments.

All this has come at the wrong time much to the Media/Pundits delight. Real shame.

May well be a big loss .... Villa are on fire at the mo. COYS prove me wrong.

We are in for a tough few weeks. I said at the start of the season that if we are in the top six at the turn of the year, that that would represent a big step in the right direction. I'm pretty sure that we will be, but anything outside of the top four will be disappointing after where we were after ten games.
My real hope is that Postco doesn't forego his footballing principles in order to compensate for some difficult matches with a weakened squad. We are going to have injuries, and we are going to lose matches, it's all about how we go about those matches.
The Wolves match to my mind set all the wrong signals, from the moment we named a team with only three attackers and no AM support, with that negative approach being adopted in the on field match tactics. Get back to three attackers plus an AM (for me that would be Kulu), playing on the front foot and taking the game to Villa, and I'll be happy irrespective of the outcome.

Sorry for me it will be the 3rd loss on the bike (esp with Sonny and Kulu off form) ... the fringe players just cannot play Ange's system and that is now plain to see.

We need to muddle on until the window opens in January but our time at the top is over imho esp with the Injuries and loss of players thru poor individual discipline etc and then the loss of players in January through Intl tournaments.

All this has come at the wrong time much to the Media/Pundits delight. Real shame.

May well be a big loss .... Villa are on fire at the mo. COYS prove me wrong.
"the fringe players just cannot play Ange's system and that is now plain to see."

And that right there is the problem.

The question now is does he compromise his system to accommodate these players (more of last week, if so) or maybe throw caution to the wind and bring in a couple of academy players who may not be quite ready yet in terms of experience but do have the technical ability to be involved in the future.

I'd take the latter option.

I'm not sure I would go into a game without a six-footer in that central defence, but it seems a shame for Davies to miss out after his last game.

I think pace rather than height is a bigger threat from Villa (other than set pieces). The thing is Royal isn't pacy either. Perm any two from those three and it's still a slow CB pairing.

How fast are Dorrington and Phillips? I haven't seen enough to form a view.

If either of them has pace I'd be inclined to include one of them and get the team pushed back up the pitch. We need to play this match in Villa's half.

Villa are coming with a budding reputation but they were poor in their defeat against Forest a couple of weeks ago. I think we're still good enough if Ange picks the players most suitable to his system.

There is an amount of sense there muttley, so true regards Davies esp after his game v Wolves.

As such a dilemma for Angie then, but in him we trust. COYS

"the fringe players just cannot play Ange's system and that is now plain to see."

And that right there is the problem.

The question now is does he compromise his system to accommodate these players (more of last week, if so) or maybe throw caution to the wind and bring in a couple of academy players who may not be quite ready yet in terms of experience but do have the technical ability to be involved in the future.

I'd take the latter option.
Trouble is the Under players are not playing that well in their own set up neither .. so this maybe a step up too far ... Risky at best

I think pace rather than height is a bigger threat from Villa (other than set pieces). The thing is Royal isn't pacy either. Perm any two from those three and it's still a slow CB pairing.

How fast are Dorrington and Phillips? I haven't seen enough to form a view.

If either of them has pace I'd be inclined to include one of them and get the team pushed back up the pitch. We need to play this match in Villa's half.

Villa are coming with a budding reputation but they were poor in their defeat against Forest a couple of weeks ago. I think we're still good enough if Ange picks the players most suitable to his system.

It's a great question about Dorrington and Phillips.

lol - the challenge is that we are replacing VDV's pace. That guy just isn't normal.

From what I've seen, I don't think Dorrington has express pace. With Phillips, he has that laid back gait of a Rio Ferdinand so it's hard to tell.