Match Thread - Sheffield United FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Sheffield United FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL

Result?

• Win

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Lose

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both Kane and Son have been out of sorts for a while now. I am convinced Mourinho has relied too heavily on Kane and Son producing individual moments of magic so when they don't, its more noticeable.
Son has always been a streaky player where goals are concerned. He tends to score in gluts and then has barren spells. He's missed four very good chances in the last two games but at least he's still making the runs and getting in the right positions. If he keeps doing that he'll come good again.

Last edited:
Son has always been a streaky player where goals are concerned. He tends to score in gluts and then has barren spells. He's missed four very good chances in the last two games but at least he's still making the runs and getting in the right positions. if he keeps doing that he'll come good again.

That's my only concern with him - consistency. He looked to have turned the corner this season but he's currently on a poor spell (for his standard) again. Lets hope he turns it round sooner rather than later, I'm sure he will.

Having read the posts, good n bad lol! I have an opinion on yesterdays game and questions.....
We won yes, excellent, but why by only 2?
Once we have them on the rack! why do we not destroy these sides? thus increasing our goals for.

Maybe its me but I was getting pissed with us during the game...
1st half, start off on the front foot, excellent, score early, ease off/lower gear, allow our opponents way to much of the ball, gets frustrating, score a 2nd late on.

2nd half, again ease off early/lower gear, allow opponents way to much of the ball, eff up! they score, thus up a gear and off on front foot again, score again, ease off/lower gear again.

Why do we always ease off once we are ahead, why not keep on the front foot for the majority of the game, especially v the so called lesser sides, even one of our ex-players Michael Dawson said the same quote "when Spurs play on the front foot Sheffield do not know how to handle them"

What annoys me the most is when we ease off/lower gear we make our opponents look like champions elect, even though we are winning.

That's my opinion at the mo, am I wrong or am I right.
Have had a wee rant.

It's simple really, we dropped off the moment the second half started, Dier clearly thinks he has to cover for it and drops too deep; when we do than it's because the whole team from front to back aren't pressing and closing the spaces between the lines, the front two/three are now suddenly another 10 yards adrift and the midfield then can't easily compensate and so are then being overloaded by opposition players and before you know it, you're playing off your six-yard box as you're giving away too many corners/free-kicks, and you're not pressing in the corners which allow teams to hurt us and put us under pressure from crosses.

Dier dropped back to cover Rondon, as Rondon had made a couple of poorish mistakes and you can literally see the confidence of all three CM's drain from them and we fall back even further.

PH for all the accolades is a culprit for playing deep and not looking to press harder when the opposition put us under pressure like this, and so is Reggie, who frankly had a poorish game in my view and at times defensively just switches off.

Last edited:
Conveniently, you ignore what we didn't do to prevent the cross entering our box.

Yep, it was nothing to do with this conversation. I was commenting on centre half play, not full backs, or even root causes of goals.

If you want my opinion on the SU goal, I thought Bergwijn might have done a better job of shutting down the cross. However, it was a bread and butter cross to deal with for centre halves. If we keep on playing a fullback at centre half then we'll see more of these. We've got so used to Vertonghen eating them up for breakfast over the years, and Davies isn't the answer in my opinion.

So no convenience :-)

Reggie made quite a few runs behind the last defender when Dier and PEH were in possession and they either didn't look up or didn't have the confidence to play the pass. He does make some great runs though.
Agree Gary. It is so frustrating seeing those frequent pauses by the CB's and no zip in their passing, which just allows the opposition time to press and the ball ends up with Hugo, only to be lumped up in to no man's land. It is almost as if they are scared of making mistakes. You know if I were the opposing striker, in order to press either of our two CB's, I'd just shuffle few feet and they would panic.

Agree Gary. It is so frustrating seeing those frequent pauses by the CB's and no zip in their passing, which just allows the opposition time to press and the ball ends up with Hugo, only to be lumped up in to no man's land. It is almost as if they are scared of making mistakes. You know if I were the opposing striker, in order to press either of our two CB's, I'd just shuffle few feet and they would panic.

Iceberg is getting better at it. That Bruno Fernades stat blew me away:

Bruno Fernandes gives the ball away 2nd most in the league (midfielders), he is 2nd in chances created.

Now you're doing a Rich - remind yourself of his stats and look on youtube at some of the goals he scored - don't get sucked in....he was a huge part of the best team we have created in the modern era, but he was played to death.

He scored one of my favourite goals of all time. Dier to Dele goal.

Tanguy has recovered his fitness?

Yep, it was nothing to do with this conversation. I was commenting on centre half play, not full backs, or even root causes of goals.

If you want my opinion on the SU goal, I thought Bergwijn might have done a better job of shutting down the cross. However, it was a bread and butter cross to deal with for centre halves. If we keep on playing a fullback at centre half then we'll see more of these. We've got so used to Vertonghen eating them up for breakfast over the years, and Davies isn't the answer in my opinion.

So no convenience :-)

It was a cross Fleck had all day to pinpoint and find his target, Bergwijn cannot mark two simultaneously.

As for Davies, I don't rate him either, so that's two things we agree with within days. If only, you could make it a hat trick, and agree with me about Alli!

Now you're doing a Rich - remind yourself of his stats and look on youtube at some of the goals he scored - don't get sucked in....he was a huge part of the best team we have created in the modern era, but he was played to death.

And the bigger picture you fail to come to terms with is that the random goals he has scored over the last three years pale into insignificance against his mountain of shite.

I am on your side with this Spursex. I really do think we were a little unfair on Dele with regards to his stats. I will always cut a creative player a bit of slack when it comes to a forward pass that could possibly create an oppertunity. Thats why i would rather see a failed forward pass than a Winks sideways pass or at present i am getting a little frustrated with the Hojbjerg backwards pass too.

That said, the Dele failure wasnt so much his forwards, creative passes. It was every ball that went near him. Someone got hold of him and convinced him he had skills way above his paygrade. He either fell down under a challenge or he lost posession. There was literally games where it was impossible to see any payback for his game. Even in the situations where he should have been making simple moves he was trying outlandish balls and giving up posession.

The trouble with JM is he works on extremes rather than altering someones game a little he tells them to remodel their entire game. Dele just needed a rest button pressing. Hard to do with someone with his arrogance but he is capable of being a star for spurs if he wants it

It was a cross Fleck had all day to pinpoint and find his target, Bergwijn cannot mark two simultaneously.

As for Davies, I don't rate him either, so that's two things we agree with within days. If only, you could make it a hat trick, and agree with me about Alli!

That's funny.