Match Thread: Salford City v Villa U21s - EFL Trophy - Tues 3rd Sept, 7:45pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Salford City v Villa U21s - EFL Trophy - Tues 3rd Sept, 7:45pm

I want to see Indiana Vasilev and Mungo Bridge because with names as good as that they've got to he brilliant.

Will Philogene-Bidace and Chukwuemeka do?

God I hope they make it just to piss off commentators. Imagine Jack Woodward trying to get his tongue round those.

Half time - 0-0

Salford 56% possession
Salford 9 shots, 4 on target
Villa 5 shots, 1 on target.
Salford 2 corners
Villa 5 corners

Considering that the only ones to have a senior appearance are Suliman and Archer (for 10 minutes last week) it's probably not bad.

Interesting that Salford's reserves are stronger than our youngsters. Arsenal also lost to Northampton's reserves earlier this round too. Shows the importance of physicality and experience. It also highlights why the strategy of loaning out youngsters to lower league clubs is important.

I would be interested to see the percentage of academy players on the books of Prem clubs that drift out of professional football completely. Greater than 70% I would think.

Played against many older ex pros and former league side youth players myself back in the 80's. The margins between success and failure are small. Be lucky if two or three of last nights team have a pro career, let alone make Villa's 1st team I reckon.