Match Thread: Port Vale v Lincoln City | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Port Vale v Lincoln City

Jensen has had a lot of critics this season from time to time but again when it comes down to it some very good saves again today and ANOTHER clean sheet.

Also as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, Mitchell on a permanent.

Jensen has had a lot of critics this season from time to time but again when it comes down to it some very good saves again today and ANOTHER clean sheet.

Two great stops and a solid diving save, surely he can be taught to kick?! Jimmy Walker intensive course?!

Two great stops and a solid diving save, surely he can be taught to kick?! Jimmy Walker intensive course?!
To the casual observer part of the problem seems to be his effortless power and clean kicking technique. Certainly something to stop him functioning like a 17 year old hitting the accelerator on a Ferrari for the first time may do him wonders. Perhaps he should play in slippers. More seriously I've been calling for him to throw the ball out more and we saw a good example of that in a recent home game - I forget which one, but it was accurate to the half way line and got us on a good counter.

I would say that his kicking is improving, but more impressively is how he is starting to command his area in recent games after a couple of dodgy moments earlier in the season. I think he has quietly gone about being one of the best close season signings in recent years.

So, got home half an hour ago, and a few of my thoughts without having watched any highlights or read anything.

A strange game in that we hardly created two chances to score all game and yet won 2-0.

After the gift of the opening goal we played well within ourselves. With their bad run of form you could tell Port Vale were hesitant and an earlier second goal would have killed them off - would like to have seen us push forward a bit more to try and get it, but on the other hand we were having to cope with what was not exactly a first choice lineup or formation.

Personally I wasn't sure it was a penalty and was surprised the ref gave it - especially as he seemed to give us very little all game.

Man of the match for me was Erhahon just ahead of O'Connor. I must say it's looking more and a more a good move to have replaced Smith with McGrandles. Whatever Smith's qualities or potential I don't believe he would have done as well as McGrandles today.

We are third for goals conceded this season. If that’s with a dodgy keeper just imagine what we could do with a decent one. Jensen has had a good season and is a very solid L1 keeper. He’s not perfect, but he’s alright. Which are wise words I like to tell Mrs LAImp from time to time.

Hackett speaks magnificently in the post-match, too. Talks like a captain
All of the post-match interviews and the match highlights can be found on the link provided below!

I think we spent 500k on our pitch a couple of seasons ago and you can tell. Port Vale haven't looked after there pitch nearly as well. From a distance it might not look much different but it's a lightly ploughed field with lots of tufts of grass on it.

Mark Hone told us the pitch was really difficult to play on for 20 minutes and then wondered for the next 70 why the match was "poor".

Looking at the match as a whole, it was one those playing in it will have a really good feeling about.

We were in control of the result from minute 1 and never looked like giving it up.

That's a good organised team. Some days sport is for the participants not the spectators. Really strong win. Fully Deserved.

Mandroiu was good .. I read differently but he was good....played for the team, worked hard and linked play.

The loss of House didn't help as Taylor will score you goals but his hold up and link play is an area where much improvement should be possible. He will either score a goal or not do much ....and he's gone a long way to winning the last two matches...so that's just why he is highly rated and here.

Of the goal mouth action ...O'Connor had a great chance to score from a CORNER.....Bishop nearly scored due to a great interception, with excellent reading of the play, we had one penalty and could have had another....and yet only gave Port Vale one real half chance.

So a totally under control "poor" performance.

Overall just 3 excellent, well deserved, not pretty points.

If we can get most of Jackson, House, Draper, Burroughs and Hamilton back in contention, we have a good squad that will finish the season strongly.

Last edited:
Needs to be someone moving to pass to?
Couldn’t always tell from I-Follow but he went through a spell - second half - where virtually every time he got the ball he just turned and played it backwards, but a couple of times I did see someone inside him who could have received the ball and kept a forward move going. I love him but he frustrates me at times. Not saying playing backwards is always a bad thing as we retain possession/running the clock down, etc but just wish he’d try and be more positive sometimes.

4 wins in 5 is an incredible turn around. Just a shame players are still dropping like flies and we’re really down to bare bones now. Huge ‘if’ but IF we can beat Shrewsbury on Tuesday the best case scenario would be 6 points off the playoffs which would be crazy. I have zero expectations as the squad feels too depleted to keep this up but it’s so good feeling confident in the team and understanding what we are trying to do. Imagine next season once Skubala can shapes the squad a bit more. Great times

It’s not champagne football but it’s that fantastic thing where a squad look like they are on autopilot as everyone knows their job without having to think. We look extremely well drilled defensively. If we can keep the forward players fit we will rack up more wins for sure.

Couldn’t always tell from I-Follow but he went through a spell - second half - where virtually every time he got the ball he just turned and played it backwards, but a couple of times I did see someone inside him who could have received the ball and kept a forward move going. I love him but he frustrates me at times. Not saying playing backwards is always a bad thing as we retain possession/running the clock down, etc but just wish he’d try and be more positive sometimes.
He likes going sideways and backwards

Getting way ahead of myself but would love if we could have Hackett long term, kinda like a Harry Anderson style attacker who stays for a long while. Found his level as a great League One player and could settle here if he's happy with our money

Getting way ahead of myself but would love if we could have Hackett long term, kinda like a Harry Anderson style attacker who stays for a long while. Found his level as a great League One player and could settle here if he's happy with our money
Well, he's contracted until at least the summer of 2026, so that will do for starters.

I’ve noticed from this and other recent interviews when MS is asked about a missing player he tends to give details on other injured players as well without being asked specifically. Quite refreshing

To the casual observer part of the problem seems to be his effortless power and clean kicking technique. Certainly something to stop him functioning like a 17 year old hitting the accelerator on a Ferrari for the first time may do him wonders. Perhaps he should play in slippers. More seriously I've been calling for him to throw the ball out more and we saw a good example of that in a recent home game - I forget which one, but it was accurate to the half way line and got us on a good counter.

I would say that his kicking is improving, but more impressively is how he is starting to command his area in recent games after a couple of dodgy moments earlier in the season. I think he has quietly gone about being one of the best close season signings in recent years.
As the season has gone on he is one of our most improved players, he commands the box well now, comes for crosses and is just generally more confident. His kicking is improving !! It helps having a solid defensive line in front of him. I had the pleasure of sitting next to his parents at the Cambridge game they said he likes the Club and has moved from Manchester to Lincoln . We have had some really good 'loan' keepers in recent seasons but Jensen is up there now by comparison.