Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City

I don't think the 'wing backs' were briefed to go very far. Mind you Robson was having none of that in the embers of time added on and was definitely looking to get us up the pitch.

As you say, didn't really look like a true 5 at the back.

If House and Mandroui are not fit for Saturday, I wouldn't mind seeing Robson at left midfield alongside Sorensen and Sanders, and Roughan at left back - in our usual 4-3-3.

If Roughan and Robson can develope an understanding, along with Scully they could create havoc for Peterborough down our left side.

Lovely stuff.

I’d forgotten what a hellish corporate shell the Kassam and surrounds is. A pre-match pint in Frankie and Bennies. No thanks.

First chance to comment since last night. 3/4 of the Pompey Imps Massive had a very enjoyable evening, thank you! Excellent 1st half and two good goals - I thought we sat back a bit too much in the 2nd and let them back in but having said that, we worked really hard and hung on for a well deserved win. As Robinson said though, obviously Oxford were the better team - not!

Great support as ever, singing right through to the final whistle and beyond - particular credit also to Wright who gave a good account of himself and some good (un)subtle time management.

If we can nick a point against Pish on Saturday, it will all feel very good indeed

Onward!

Just watched the highlights.

Excellent, unselfish runs from Sanders for both goals. I'm liking the earlier crossed this season.

Great assist and goal from Scully.
Agree. It was good to see, for both goals, that there were well timed decoy runners too, that just caused that split second indecision in Oxford back line - gave hops the time to peel off for a free header and Sculls the time to pick his place. Intelligent play. Can only get better as the players gel. If we keep them. If they stay injury free.

My first live game of the season. My observations:

Overall, it's very clear to see that there is a plan and a structure under MK in terms of team shape, style of play etc. which is encouraging to see.

First half I thought we were excellent, it wasn't so much that we played on the break, rather we used our own possession really well, and were really clinical when we had the ball.

I was also impressed with Robson and Eyoma given they've had a difficult start to the season. They got stuck into challenges, and looked like they could stand up physically and also drove forward too at times - particularly Robson.

Sanders I thought was the pick of the midfield, drove forward really well - more of that please!

Garrick looks like a real key player, had a real influence whenever he had the ball, showed great pace and played a key role in the first goal. If we can get him even more involved in future games then that could be quite something!

Second half I thought was a different challenge. To give credit to Oxford, they got better, had most of the ball and seemed to get the best of our midfield. They also overan our left side an awful lot. The thing is though, when you can't get the possession side of things right, it's key you get the fundamentals right, and that we did. Our shape held out, and our centre backs headed and kicked countless balls away. Like MK said, the team showed real resilience. Like others have said, last season I think we draw or even lose 3-2.

My MOM was Hopper. Throughout the game he just battled so well throughout the 90, won loads of headers, got some great flick ons and got his goal of course.

Honourable mention also to Kendall who I was impressed with when he came on, chased stuff down, dribbled well and showed some nous at a key time in the game.

Wright made a couple of good saves, although I felt he was too hesitant a number of times.

Had a great time overall, and great to get that first win!

Another couple of observations.

Firstly, how smart does the kit look?

Secondly, if you pause the video when Sorenson heads the ball from their throw-in, look how high the press is. We've got 9 of our 10 outfield players in the camera shot for a throw-in, in their defensive third.

My first live game of the season. My observations:

Overall, it's very clear to see that there is a plan and a structure under MK in terms of team shape, style of play etc. which is encouraging to see.

First half I thought we were excellent, it wasn't so much that we played on the break, rather we used our own possession really well, and were really clinical when we had the ball.

I was also impressed with Robson and Eyoma given they've had a difficult start to the season. They got stuck into challenges, and looked like they could stand up physically and also drove forward too at times - particularly Robson.

Sanders I thought was the pick of the midfield, drove forward really well - more of that please!

Garrick looks like a real key player, had a real influence whenever he had the ball, showed great pace and played a key role in the first goal. If we can get him even more involved in future games then that could be quite something!

Second half I thought was a different challenge. To give credit to Oxford, they got better, had most of the ball and seemed to get the best of our midfield. They also overan our left side an awful lot. The thing is though, when you can't get the possession side of things right, it's key you get the fundamentals right, and that we did. Our shape held out, and our centre backs headed and kicked countless balls away. Like MK said, the team showed real resilience. Like others have said, last season I think we draw or even lose 3-2.

My MOM was Hopper. Throughout the game he just battled so well throughout the 90, won loads of headers, got some great flick ons and got his goal of course.

Honourable mention also to Kendall who I was impressed with when he came on, chased stuff down, dribbled well and showed some nous at a key time in the game.

Wright made a couple of good saves, although I felt he was too hesitant a number of times.

Had a great time overall, and great to get that first win!

Great summary

Last time I went was our relegation season and I think we had a drink in a marquee place somewhere on the retail park. Some kind of fan zone? I may be mis-remembering.

Didn’t see that to be honest - we ended up getting a cab from the town centre and headed straight in.

Last time I went was our relegation season and I think we had a drink in a marquee place somewhere on the retail park. Some kind of fan zone? I may be mis-remembering.

I do remember that. It was at the back of the long-closed Priory - an actual pub right next to the bowling alley.

As with most problems Oxford have, the pub closed due to a dispute with former chairman Kassam.

This article mentions the marquee: https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...mbling-oxford-united-fan-pub-priory---happen/.

Before the pub closed, it had a temporary marquee outside, which planning consultants for the then-landlord said was 'essential' for its financial viability.

No you do not have a faulty memory, that was my last time too.

The game plan was to score early and hold on for 85 mins, it was never going to work and didn't. Easily beaten in the end is my recall.