Match Thread: Notts County v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Notts County v Lincoln City

No getting away from the fact that the ref ruined the game yesterday but we (the fans) also seem to be getting too downhearted at times when things aren't going our way. Last season from the get go there was a real sense of anticipation and belief which resonated in the chanting and attitude of fans. Felt that yesterday a lot of negativity and chanting was directed at everything but not sure how this spurs the players on to success. Resilience is what got us over the line last year. We are the 12th man for the imps and we well and truly showed that last year at places like Ipswich for the whole 90 minutes. Hope we don't start losing that belief that spurred the lads on.

Having seen the incident for the red card on TV I cant believe that the ref gave it and think it may have come from the sideline. At the time of impact the ref had two players in direct line of the incident. On the game itself, I had been told that Notts had been winning ugly and relied on the long ball, which is how it was in the first 30 minutes yesterday. We played well created chances and made them look a poor team. I know its a results game but there was enough yesterday and in earlier games to give the players the belief they can challenge at the right end of the table. The lack of goals or taking chances is a concern and I think Whitehouse should be given more game time to see if he can produce what we got him here for. Farman is a concern more than a worry and with Vickers being a more than adequate understood perhaps Farman could be given a rest

I can accept refs making mistakes; they're human, and players do - otherwise we would have been at least 1-0 up when the sending off occurred. But that yellow for a similar offence late in the game did rub salt in the wounds

I actually first thought that the red was for one of their players who appeared to stamp out at Knott while he was on the ground ......

on farman, it must affect the team... and certainly the mindset of the defence and bostwick - having to defend right to 3 yards from goal when a looping cross comes in from the far touchline. we were down to ten, and you would hope he would step up, rather than standing on his line - the first goal demonstrated that any touch from that distance gives him no chance of making a save - unless it drops straight at him.

only a matter of time before the opposition - much better prepared this season - will start to bombard this area of weakness.

there have been many reviews of matches by supporters on here where farman has had 'little to do' - the 6 [eight?] man defence cover him very well - but we often still concede a goal that could be stopped by a decent save, or even a routine catch... exeter, mansfield [deal with the cross], the first goal yesterday [easy catch on the cross; see how easy their keeper made it look when catching a similar cross from habergham]. on the flip side i have watched the opposition keeper keep their team in it - morecambe, mansfield - with multiple saves.

the retort is always 'he is a good shot stopper', and yet yesterday three good shots came in at him, and not only did he not get a touch on any of them, he was nowhere near them.

he has also been important to us for his kicking - which has been very effective with rhead in the team. but kicking the ball long yesterday was never going to have any effect on the notts defence. so i wonder why we/he persisted with it?

hopefully he will play a blinder on tuesday and get his confidence back up... uti

I've always felt that Farman struggles to pick up the flight of any ball coming to him from over 15 yards away. On shots from 15-30 yards and on crosses he moves very very late - as though he doesn't see the ball until its half way to him. That was apparent on all 4 goals yesterday - the highlights show him moving late on them all, even the fine finish on the second goal.

He's a really good close-range reaction save keeper, and is very good too on one-on-ones where a player is bearing down on him. However he is not good with crosses and shots from distance.

We have had goalies in the past who didn't come for crosses (Grotier and Felgate come to mind) but they both had dominant centre backs in from of them (Ellis/Cooper and Peake/Thompson) who would attack every ball, even inside the six yard box. But Grotier and Felgate were both very good at saving any type of shot. As much as he has improved over the past few years, Farman is a long way from the standard of other goalies we have had here in our previous successful years (not many of those I know).

mikeosullivan - 24/9/2017 15:18

I've always felt that Farman struggles to pick up the flight of any ball coming to him from over 15 yards away. On shots from 15-30 yards and on crosses he moves very very late - as though he doesn't see the ball until its half way to him. That was apparent on all 4 goals yesterday - the highlights show him moving late on them all, even the fine finish on the second goal.

He's a really good close-range reaction save keeper, and is very good too on one-on-ones where a player is bearing down on him. However he is not good with crosses and shots from distance.

We have had goalies in the past who didn't come for crosses (Grotier and Felgate come to mind) but they both had dominant centre backs in from of them (Ellis/Cooper and Peake/Thompson) who would attack every ball, even inside the six yard box. But Grotier and Felgate were both very good at saving any type of shot. As much as he has improved over the past few years, Farman is a long way from the standard of other goalies we have had here in our previous successful years (not many of those I know).
I think it was Vaughan a few years ago who used to be glued to his line.

I was sympathetic to Farman in real time but he was really late reacting to the free kick having seen it again.

I have such a strange feeling with him as I totally wrote him off (wrongly) years ago and commend the way he came back in. I think he deserves a run in the league, but the best goalkeeping performance by a Lincoln player this season IMO was Vickers at Rotherham.

Rasenimp - 24/9/2017 15:56

I was sympathetic to Farman in real time but he was really late reacting to the free kick having seen it again.

I have such a strange feeling with him as I totally wrote him off (wrongly) years ago and commend the way he came back in. I think he deserves a run in the league, but the best goalkeeping performance by a Lincoln player this season IMO was Vickers at Rotherham.
We were saying the same about Vickers. Getting left out wouldn't be the end of the world for Farmen but from a team perspective I think now would be a convenient time to have a look at Vickers.

Farman was a decent Conference 'keeper. He is no better than average in L2. I said the same at the end of last season. We will need better the progress.

Not much can add but for 1st 30 mins we were better side, Green, Ginelly & Raggs with good chances have to take at least 1 if not 2 of those. A lot of long ball from County in those early exchanges I noticed also. They showed there quality 2nd half with some good finishing and used the extra man.

stokeimp - 24/9/2017 14:48

I can accept refs making mistakes; they're human, and players do - otherwise we would have been at least 1-0 up when the sending off occurred. But that yellow for a similar offence late in the game did rub salt in the wounds

I actually first thought that the red was for one of their players who appeared to stamp out at Knott while he was on the ground ......

I also thought the red card had come out for their player stamping....shocked it was Billy going off. Terrible decision.
The decision that gave them their third goal, also appalling.
The head kick on Raggett going unpunished totally inconsistent and made worse by the booking of Habergham instead of their player.
Refereeing IS getting poorer and poorer. Why has not the video appeal system been brought in at our level? ALL professional football matches are filmed either by TV companies or clubs' own videos or most likely both.
The otherwise pointless 4th official should have a tv replay monitor in front of him and be able to tell the ref of any obvious errors particularly on critical decisions such as yesterday.

Oh and i too would like to see Vickers given a run in the team.
Farman has given us terrific service and did so well last season especially.
However, can he get us to the next level or not? Or...is Vickers a keeper who can both play for us at this level and higher?
Anyway, totally trust Jimmy Walker and Nicky and Danny on this.

.. been away so only just had a chance to watch the video so apologies if this has already been said but what on earth was that goal celebration of Tootle's all about - to me he seemed to getting rather intimate with the football pitch - what a complete nob but certainly not as big a one as the ref. Imps 4ever :cheers:

just watched the other two notts red cards. the one against chesterfield [push on hawkridge] is even more ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alNwZALJjUU

v accrington
soft peno. then yates again doing the roll around, and tootle all over the accrington player and clapping for the accrington red in that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7yLYzWI06k

looks like it might be their lucky year.

NottyImp - 24/9/2017 18:48

Farman was a decent Conference 'keeper. He is no better than average in L2. I said the same at the end of last season. We will need better the progress.

This is the feeling amongst most of the fans I know. He really does not command his box enough at this level and that makes the centre halves and fullbacks uncertain. He flapped at a couple of crosses in the first half where as County's keeper came out and collected most things. He clearly prefers to punch rather than catch but too many times this season he has missed the ball or only half connected. Just think he is slightly out of his depth at League 2 level.

The one match I saw Vickers play at Rotherham he commanded the box and his distribution and vision from the back was light years in front of Farman who dilly dallies about making out he going to throw when we all 9 times out of 10 he will just boot it up.

nlondonimp - 25/9/2017 13:27

just watched the other two notts red cards. the one against chesterfield [push on hawkridge] is even more ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alNwZALJjUU

v accrington
soft peno. then yates again doing the roll around, and tootle all over the accrington player and clapping for the accrington red in that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7yLYzWI06k

looks like it might be their lucky year.
Tootle needs sorting out, he's a coward, the sly kick on Billy wont be forgotten by me.
Pity I sit in the family stand and wont be able to properly vent my spleen at him :pointy: :zip: