Match Thread: Nottingham Forest Vs AFC Bournemouth, sponsored by two absolutely brilliant years with Steve Cooper | Vital Football

Match Thread: Nottingham Forest Vs AFC Bournemouth, sponsored by two absolutely brilliant years with Steve Cooper

Pope John XXIII

Vital Football Legend
There are some of you for whom this post is going to induce vomiting, because you had no real affection for Steve Cooper. For those people, you can consider yourselves welcome to fuck off to the next post on the thread where I will post a very brief overview of Bournemouth.

I honestly couldn't give a toss about Bournemouth and I don't intend to spend a lot of time talking about them. They are on a great run. They are a bogey team. Stop Solanke. That's all you need to know about Bournemouth for tomorrow.

So, to Steve.

It was an appointment that began with some skepticism by certain posters:
Absolutely horrendous appointment.
Yes that's right; one of the most uninspiring and average appointments ever, who's been out of work since May, and we have to pay compensation
We won our first game after he was appointed, away at Huddersfield. That turned out to be an outstanding result given the way the season went, but Cooper was not actually in charge for it yet; more of a reaction to Hughton leaving I guess.

His first game was a 1-1 draw against Millwall at home. I took my daughter to that. It was so dull she wanted to go at half time. She has never been again and got into ice hockey after.

But we just started winning.

Who can forget this? 1-0 down in injury time, by the final whistle 1-2.
_121144022_gettyimages-1347555322.jpg
By this time of year in 2021 we were motoring.

A 2-0 win against Peterborough in December saw a sell out crowd. I don't think there was another game all season that wasn't a sellout. I have a feeling that might have been our first hearing of "Just Can't Get Enough" as well.

January saw us do something we had never, ever done before; a January window in which we made a couple of shrewed signings that actually improved the squad. Keinan Davis arrived, as did Sam Surridge and both were excellent.

We beat Arsenal, we murdered Leicester at the CG. And we just kept going. Week after week, win after win. Forza Garibaldi really caught on with the banners. The fans were excited. The crowds were roaring. And Steve Cooper loved it. He connected with us, he calmed us, he kept us on the ground but made us dream. Jonno was absolutely unplayable with Spence. Worrall and McKenna could shut up shop when they wanted to. We looked great. We looked like we would get into the playoffs.

Exemplified by even our dodgier games.

2d3590ab-a135-4e97-9a53-0b61de9d149e.jpg
Drawing at home to Stoke, Samba gets sent off, penalty scored, Worrall has to go in goal. And Yates pops up in extra time to equalise.

Cooper got us really believing. Who can forget the Jack Colback goal? He won't forget it. He could barely believe it. We beat West Brom 4-0

Shutterstock_12899684j.jpg
Suddenly, autos looked on. What was amazing was that the players clearly all believe they were going to do it. They believed we were going to get second, and when we didn't, they felt like it was an insult to have to go through the playoffs. The manager made them believe that. A team that had been, in Worrall's words, "shite"..

What was extraordinary was that I actually started to believe we were going to do it as well. It wasn't until much later that I realised it. But I did. At some point, probably around April, I knew we were going to do it. I knew it was going to be our year.

This stuff became the norm
Screenshot_20231222_194251_Photos.jpg
And I remember that, everywhere around Nottingham I started hearing "Just Can't Get Enough". You'd hear people playing it in their car in the spring warmth, and you knew they felt it too.

When we once again blew a home leg of the playoffs, I was absolutely sure we were going to lose in extra time. Same old, same old. And yet in another way, I didnt. On the one hand, the thought that we might actually win a high stakes penalty shootout never occured to me. And on the other, I knew it would be our day somehow .... Wow. What a day.

This was my view of the end of the game
Screenshot_20231222_194332_Photos.jpg
I won't go too much into Wembley. It was probably the best day of my life. A lot of people who were there say that. Probably Steve Cooper included. His reaction was priceless. But just remember this

And for those of you at home, this magical commentary

Look at this. When has Wembley seen celebrations like this from fans?

And the man himself. This is what he is like. What he inspires and why be inspires.

Onto the Premier League, and we have had some great times with Cooper. The guy had to incorporate 20 new players, losing most of his promotion squad. And incorporate them he did. At times it was a struggle. But there were some massive highs. The first win against West Ham was epic and the fans were, for the first time in my life, 100% behind everything the team did. Our first win in the Premier league since May 1999 against Leicester

gettyimages-1414790864-2048x2048-1660486770674.jpg
We beat Liverpool and Spurs and by the time of the world Cup, we were competitive. Reinforcements arrived in January, some by Cooper's choice and we looked decent. We beat Southampton, Leeds and Leicester and were well clear.

And there was this- a goal right in front of me that I will never forget. A sensational team move in a game where Cooper got his tactics spot on and we drew with the treble winning team

1467361069.jpg

We had a bad run. For the second time that season, Cooper nearly got sacked and Marinakis talked to other managers behind his back. But he got on with it. He changed his tactics, he learned. He adapted and got the most out of returning players.

I'll never forget this, one of the most important goals in our recent history and easily the goal of the season; Renan Lodi's absolutely vital equaliser against Brighton, which got us on the road to a win that completely changed our season.
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

We beat Southampton and then we have the Arsenal game

Who can forget full time in this game?

Or the togetherness that Cooper brought to these players, demonstrated by the waka waka

I took a video of the full time singing of Freed From Desire, which I will not post here; why bother, when you can hear it from a couple of miles away?

I have no intention of discussing the negatives or "balancing" these memories. They are special. Cooper has been, without doubt, a special manager for this football club, even in just two and a half years.

He made us believe that our club wasn't some special basket case that just couldn't succeed.

Moreover, he made us believe in ourselves as fans again. After years of listening to players and commentators, and even each other, lament Forest fans as fickle, negative, demanding, getting on players backs as soon as things weren't great; Cooper got us believing we were special fans that really got behind our team again.

We did it; don't get me wrong. It was the fans who did all of that. All the roars, all the singing, all the banners, all the noise. It was all us. It was all within us to do it. We all wanted to do it. We just needed the catalyst to get it out.

Cooper provided that. Firstly, by giving us a really great team and PL football. But secondly, by caring. He wanted that from us, he appreciated it and he placed himself right with us. From very early on Cooper has made it clear that this is far more than just a job to him, and we have loved that.

He threw himself into the club and the city. He embraced it and loved it as much as we loved the success he brought. For the first time in years, we were all together, and we made that happen together.

I will always thank Steve Cooper for that, as much as for the two great years. We repaid him with boundless loyalty. In no way, shape or form is this sacking anything to do with the fans. I know he will appreciate that.

Steve is a great manager and will be a great manager somewhere else. I wish him all the best and thank him deeply and sincerely for all the great times and emotions we have experienced together

Screenshot_20231222_202207_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Nuno can write his own legacy. He can embrace the city and the club like Cooper did if he wishes, and he engrave his own name as a legend of the club, starting on Saturday with that tricky game against our bogey team, Bournemouth

Bournemouth style
Screenshot_20231222_203533_Samsung Internet.jpg
Bournemouth are a pretty good counter-attacking side. They use a 4-2-3-1 to attack with width from the excellent Semenyo and the on fire Tavernier. Solanke is a top striker who isn't made of supermarket brand rich tea biscuits like ours is. They use speed, width and individual skill to create a lot of problems for the opposition and chances.

Their passing is better than ours (81% to 78%) and their possession is better (48% to 38%).

Don't be fooled- they have spent a lot of money. Not as much as us, but a lot; and they started from a hell of a better place than we did too in 2022.

Formation
4-2-3-1 allowing width from Semenyo and Tavernier, Kluivert coming forward to double up with Solanke

Screenshot_20231222_203546_Samsung Internet.jpg

Players

I'm not going to go into a lot of these.

Screenshot_20231222_203602_Samsung Internet.jpg
The key player is striker Dominic Solanke. An outstanding striker with 8 goals already, he always pops up where you least want to see him

Their best player at the moment is Marcus Tavernier, who they signed 18 months ago from Boro. He is on fire, with 3 assists and an average rating of 7. He's a great dribbler, a great crosser and we'll need a lot from Neco to keep him quiet without sacrificing his attacking runs

On the other side is Antoine Semenyo, who likes to cut inside and has three goals and an assist so far. A very good player.

Justin Kluivert will be in the middle. A good crosser and better finisher, he has two goals.

They have other options. Sinisterra comes off the bench and tends to have a big impact, while Dango Outarra tends to also create problems from the bench.

They also have Philip Billing, who scored that fucking goal against us from midfield last season

Form
Screenshot_20231222_203627_Samsung Internet.jpg
Red hot, especially away from home.

But remember; all runs come to an end. And they weren't winning when their game at Luton was abandoned.

I won't do head to head as it's too depressing, so let's go straight to the weather

Weather

Screenshot_20231222_204933_Met Office.jpg
What do you want from Nottingham in December?

Not 33mph winds perhaps? Not your lucky day then

Anyway, it's a big day tomorrow. All the best to the new guy, he'll need all the luck he can get

download.jpeg-1.jpg

Last edited:
"There are some of you for whom this post is going to induce vomiting, because you had no real affection for Steve Cooper."

Why start with this and who are these people, name names cos I don't think there will be many, if any.

There are some of you for whom this post is going to induce vomiting, because you had no real affection for Steve Cooper. For those people, you can consider yourselves welcome to fuck off to the next post on the thread where I will post a very brief overview of Bournemouth.

I honestly couldn't give a toss about Bournemouth and I don't intend to spend a lot of time talking about them. They are on a great run. They are a bogey team. Stop Solanke. That's all you need to know about Bournemouth for tomorrow.

So, to Steve.

We won our first game after he was appointed, away at Huddersfield. That turned out to be an outstanding result given the way the season went, but Cooper was not actually in charge for it yet; more of a reaction to Hughton leaving I guess.

His first game was a 1-1 draw against Millwall at home. I took my daughter to that. It was so dull she wanted to go at half time. She has never been again and got into ice hockey after.

View attachment 70492

A 2-0 win against Peterborough in December saw a sell out crowd. I don't think there was another game all season that wasn't a sellout. I have a feeling that might have been our first hearing of "Just Can't Get Enough" as well.

January saw us do something we had never, ever done before; a January window in which we made a couple of shrewed signings that actually improved the squad. Keinan Davis arrived, as did Sam Surridge and both were excellent.

We beat Arsenal, we murdered Leicester at the CG. And we just kept going. Week after week, win after win. Forza Garibaldi really caught on with the banners. The fans were excited. The crowds were roaring. And Steve Cooper loved it. He connected with us, he calmed us, he kept us on the ground but made us dream. Jonno was absolutely unplayable with Spence. Worrall and McKenna could shut up shop when they wanted to. We looked great. We looked like we would get into the playoffs.

View attachment 70493
Drawing at home to Stoke, Samba gets sent off, penalty scored, Worrall has to go in goal. And Yates pops up in extra time to equalise.

Cooper got us really believing. Who can forget the Jack Colback goal? He won't forget it. He could barely believe it. We beat West Brom 4-0

View attachment 70494
Suddenly, autos looked on. What was amazing was that the players clearly all believe they were going to do it. They believed we were going to get second, and when we didn't, they felt like it was an insult to have to go through the playoffs. The manager made them believe that. A team that had been, in Worrall's words, "shite"..

What was extraordinary was that I actually started to believe we were going to do it as well. It wasn't until much later that I realised it. But I did. At some point, probably around April, I knew we were going to do it. I knew it was going to be our year.

View attachment 70495
And I remember that, everywhere around Nottingham I started hearing "Just Can't Get Enough". You'd her people playing it in their card in the spring warmth, and you knew they felt it too.

When we once again blew a home leg of the playoffs, I was absolutely sure we were going to lose in extra time. Same old, same old. And yet in another way, I didnt. On the one hand, the thought that we might actually win a high stakes penalty shootout never occured to me. And on the other, I knew it would be our day somehow .... Wow. What a day.

View attachment 70496
I won't go too much into Wembley. It was probably the best day of my life. A lot of people who were there say that. Probably Steve Cooper included. His reaction was priceless. But just remember this

And the man himself. This is what he is like. What he inspires and why be inspires.

Onto the Premier League, and we have had some great times with Cooper. The guy had to incorporate 20 new players, losing most of his promotion squad. And incorporate them he did. At times it was a struggle. But there were some massive highs. The first win against West Ham was epic and the fans were, for the first time in my life, 100% behind everything the team did. Our first win in the Premier league since May 1999 against Leicester

View attachment 70497
We beat Liverpool and Spurs and by the time of the world Cup, we were competitive. Reinforcements arrived in January, some by Cooper's choice and we looked decent. We beat Southampton, Leeds and Leicester and were well clear.

And there was this- a goal right in front of me that I will never forget. A sensational team move in a game where Cooper got his tactics spot on and we drew with the treble winning team

View attachment 70498

We had a bad run. For the second time that season, Cooper nearly got sacked and Marinakis talked to other managers behind his back. But he got on with it. He changed his tactics, he learned. He adapted and got the most out of returning players.

I'll never forget this, one of the most important goals in our recent history and easily the goal of the season; Renan Lodi's absolutely vital equaliser against Brighton, which got us on the road to a win that completely changed our season.
View attachment 70499

Or the togetherness that Cooper brought to these players, demonstrated by the waka waka

I took a video of the full time singing of Freed From Desire, which I will not post here; why bother, when you can hear it from a couple of miles away?

I have no intention of discussing the negatives or "balancing" these memories. They are special. Cooper has been, without doubt, a special manager for this football club, even in just two and a half years.

He made us believe that our club wasn't some special basket case that just couldn't succeed.

Moreover, he made us believe in ourselves as fans again. After years of listening to players and commentators, and even each other, lament Forest fans as fickle, negative, demanding, getting on players backs as soon as things weren't great; Cooper got us believing we were special fans that really got behind our team again.

We did it; don't get me wrong. It was the fans who did all of that. All the roars, all the singing, all the banners, all the noise. It was all us. It was all within us to do it. We all wanted to do it. We just needed the catalyst to get it out.

Cooper provided that. Firstly, by giving us a really great team and PL football. But secondly, by caring. He wanted that from us, he appreciated it and he placed himself right with us. From very early on Cooper has made it clear that this is far more than just a job to him, and we have loved that.

He threw himself into the club and the city. He embraced it and loved it as much as we loved the success be brought. For the first time in years, we were all together, and we made that happen together.

I will always thank Steve Cooper for that, as much as for the two great years. We repaid him with boundless loyalty. In no way, shape or form is this sacking anything to do with the fans. I know he will appreciate that.

Steve is a great manager and will be a great manager somewhere else. I wish him all the best and thank him deeply and sincerely for all the great times and emotions we have experienced together

View attachment 70501

Nice.

Hope springs eternal but it's the hope that kills you.

I thought we'd lose this match when Steve was the boss. We've now got a new boss but I don't think that will change.

Just try and enjoy the ride I guess.

So, to Steve.

View attachment 70492

View attachment 70493

View attachment 70494

View attachment 70495
And I remember that, everywhere around Nottingham I started hearing "Just Can't Get Enough". You'd her people playing it in their card in the spring warmth, and you knew they felt it too.

View attachment 70496

View attachment 70497

View attachment 70498

View attachment 70499

He threw himself into the club and the city. He embraced it and loved it as much as we loved the success be brought. For the first time in years, we were all together, and we made that happen together.

View attachment 70501
Thanks Pope, that was a brilliant, misty-eyed trip down memory lane. A truly brilliant manager and I hope that Cooper will forever think fondly of this club and his time here. I'd love the chance to just bump into him somewhere, shake his hand, and say thank you.

Holy fuck.

We all liked Cooper, some of us are just able to separate a hobby from real life.

Best day of your life? What about your marriage, the birth of your children?

If this is you getting to grip with your "feelings" I'm glad your out the other side.

Holy fuck.

We all liked Cooper, some of us are just able to separate a hobby from real life.

If this is you getting to grip with your "feelings" I'm glad your out the other side.
Ha, Stenroach. May I invite you to go fuck yourself? 🤣 Oh, and merry Christmas

People talk bollocks about the best days being marriage, kids etc. The day my kids were born were all pretty shit days. They were very significant days, but for long periods it was boring, and then pretty terrifying in both cases for different reasons. My kids are great and I have fantastic days with them. But their birth was not especially one of them.

My wedding day was a great day, although a lot expected of you. The marriage has been better than the wedding day.

The single best day of my life, emotionally speaking, was that day.

Maybe it just means more to me than to you?

Were you there?

You know the bit where you say "we all liked Cooper"... That's not exactly true is it?

I am going to state that Bournemouth is a must win game tomorrow. For a few reasons which I care to not elaborate on. They should all be obvious.

Got to beat these fraudsters

So, to Steve.

View attachment 70492

View attachment 70493

View attachment 70494

View attachment 70495

View attachment 70496

View attachment 70497

View attachment 70498

View attachment 70499

View attachment 70501
Great stuff.

Holy fuck.

Let them get their feelings out, it’s alright - bit odd, but fanaticism does that.

Genuinely, hope this process is therapeutic (not visceral :)) for some.
I believe a poster, after hearing of the managerial change, were looking to return their season ticket to the club!

Dont forget: it’s good to talk.
Feel better guys! :)

Ha, Stenroach. May I invite you to go fuck yourself? 🤣 Oh, and merry Christmas

People talk bollocks about the best days being marriage, kids etc. The day my kids were born were all pretty shit days. They were very significant days, but for long periods it was boring, and then pretty terrifying in both cases for different reasons. My kids are great and I have fantastic days with them. But their birth was not especially one of them.

My wedding day was a great day, although a lot expected of you. The marriage has been better than the wedding day.

The single best day of my life, emotionally speaking, was that day.

Maybe it just means more to me than to you?

Were you there?

You know the bit where you say "we all liked Cooper"... That's not exactly true is it?
It's true pope, you just don't see it because its different for other people.

I liked him for the championship year, good football, every game I expected to win, then the final, good day out.

If your single most greatest emotion is a bloke who manages a football team you support, who doesn't know your alive, then so be it.

I'm sorry if I'm not built the same, family, personal health etc is far more important to me than a man who got a multi million pound payout getting sacked from a job he was getting payed multi millions for doing.

I've heard some simps have been delivering flowers to the training ground re cooper, please tell me you haven't stooped this low?

Let them get their feelings out, it’s alright - bit odd, but fanaticism does that.

Genuinely, hope this process is therapeutic (not visceral :)) for some.
I believe a poster, after hearing of the managerial change, were looking to return their season ticket to the club!

Dont forget: it’s good to talk.
Feel better guys! :)
How would you go about returning your season ticket?

Would you post it from Canada?

Would you just leave it on your seat in the BC stand?

Or would you hand it to the Philippino nurse who comes to wipe your arse before putting you to bed?

Or maybe it's not a problem because you just don't have one. Not for Forest, anyway