Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
Reuters-Sixfields-Northampton.jpg

So, here it is, our second away league match of the season versus Northampton Town.

Ahead of the match, don't forget to:

- Have a go at the quiz (link below).
- Vote on the poll (link below).
- Read about tonight's referee (link below).
- Read the summary by @hulloutpost of what Mark Kennedy said in his pre-match press conference (link below).
- Read the Q&A with a Northampton Town supporter (link below).

Following the match, don't forget to:

- Share your views on this thread!
- Nominate your Man of The Match (the thread will be started following the final whistle). Then, of course, vote on the poll once that has been started!

I donned my Tin Hat before typing this but after the unfortunate start to the season, the next two games have been very good in terms of performance and result. I therefore see this game as an opportunity to set the tone for the season. If we get the right result tonight, I think there will be a good deal of beilef within the team and supporters and could set us up for a good (but I'm sure not straightforward, it never is) season

UTI

Looking at their forum, the Cobblers seem surprisingly optimistic about their chances against us, for a side that has lost all 3 games so far this season, scoring 1 and conceding 6. A few saying it's a "must win game", perhaps because they expect to get thumped by Pish at the weekend. I think it will be tight, a draw or an Imps win by a single goal.

Looking at their forum, the Cobblers seem surprisingly optimistic about their chances against us, for a side that has lost all 3 games so far this season, scoring 1 and conceding 6. A few saying it's a "must win game", perhaps because they expect to get thumped by Pish at the weekend. I think it will be tight, a draw or an Imps win by a single goal.

Yep, a draw was my thinking.

Nope - these are the games we should be winning. We have the players to do it this season and have shown already we can play some excellent football, and score goals. Plus we have a stronger bench that can change games. Northampton are no Bolton, at least by their results so far. On the flipside, this is football so who knows. I reckon 2 - 0 to the Imps.

We showed some real class during the second half on Saturday and scored some well worked goals. At this stage of the season does it mean anything? It probably has 0-0 written on it, but hoping for much better and 3 points for the Imps.

I’m sure MK will be looking at this game and thinking we don’t lose as an absolute minimum.
Heart says 2-0 imps, head says 1-1

Looking forward to what will be my first visit to Northampton's ground. Despite it being pretty close for me it's one I've never managed to get to before. Saturday's win and 2nd half performance has raised the optimism for 3 points tonight which is always a dangerous thing for us Imps and we will have to be on our game to ensure we don't have one of our sub-par games against a team who (no disrespect intended) are one of the weaker ones in our division. An early goal should allow us to settle into out play

Looking forward to what will be my first visit to Northampton's ground. Despite it being pretty close for me it's one I've never managed to get to before. Saturday's win and 2nd half performance has raised the optimism for 3 points tonight which is always a dangerous thing for us Imps and we will have to be on our game to ensure we don't have one of our sub-par games against a team who (no disrespect intended) are one of the weaker ones in our division. An early goal should allow us to settle into out play

It really is nothing special. I'm not sure if they've found the money to finish off the stand that caused all the brouhaha with the council over the loan?

Yeah it is (was) only really 3 SW type stands.

They've been a pretty direct side under Brady, so I'm assuming they still are? Wycombe were fairly straight forward to deal with because they didn't have too much of a threat in behind so if they have that, they'll cause us a different type of issue.

Would be nice to get a good return from the next two and have a good week.

Despite finishing 11th last season in what was definitely a transitional season and having genuinely strengthened significantly during the summer, a lot of people seem to be underestimating us for some reason. Posters on the Wycombe forum are aghast at losing 3-0 to two 'lower mid-table sides' (Exeter the other) and Northampton see it as very winnable despite the respective starts to the season.

I suppose supporters only really consider their own team and have very little practical knowledge of the opposition. Surely the opposition can't be as good?

I've only been once, on a bitterly cold day a decade or so ago. It's dreadful, in the middle of nowhere and very exposed to the elements, which shouldn't be a problem this evening. I think the nearest amenities were at the nearby retail park. TGI Friday's for pre-match drinks anyone? :cheers: