MATCH THREAD - Luton vs Spurs - 7 Oct @ 0630 US CST | Page 19 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD - Luton vs Spurs - 7 Oct @ 0630 US CST

James Maddison on Ange Postecoglou Spurs training messages and what Destiny Udogie is working on​

James Maddison played a key role in Tottenham's 1-0 win away at Luton Town on Saturday afternoon after teeing Micky van de Ven up for the winner at Kenilworth Road

Spurs
By
Rob GuestTottenham Hotspur Writer
  • 10:10, 9 OCT 2023
"You have 38 games in a season and not every game is going to be pretty, scoring goals, free-flowing, 'AngeBall'. Sometimes you have to dig deep and show the grit and determination," explained Maddison after the win at Kenilworth Road.

"People are always asking top teams, do they have that side to them? The top teams all do and we want to be a top team. I’m so happy we showed that today."
what was Postecoglou's message to his team as they looked to claim all three points in Bedfordshire?

"More of the same," revealed Maddison. "We dominated the first half. It was all us, wasn’t it? We had some big chances to score. It could have been 3-0 if you think of the big chances we had with Richy and Pedro.

"Then we had a couple of half chances as well. It was all Spurs, I don’t think they would argue with that. Then Biss gets the sending off which is obviously not ideal.

"But it was more of the same. We can still play. People have this concept of 10 v 11 that you have to sit back and not play and soak up pressure. All you need is just a little moment of quality in that and Micky provided that for us."

He added: "We’ve played Arsenal, we’ve played Liverpool, we’ve played United. Coming here, it’s just a different type of challenge but it’s still tough.

"It’s the most cliched answer you’ll hear most from Premier League players, that there are no easy games. But the reason everyone says it is because it’s true.

"When you’re out there, just because you’re playing Luton, it doesn’t mean there is more time or more space. It’s just a different challenge.

"I probably didn’t expect us to be top of the league, unbeaten, no. Realistically, you would never even guess that far ahead. You just want to start well and we have and we’re looking to continue that."
Maddison knows it is way too early to speak about a possible title charge, especially with another 30 league games still to go.

"What do you think I’m going to say to that? You’re going to get a cliched answer to that unfortunately, buddy! We’ve got to keep going, game by game," he said.

"We’re so early into the manager’s reign. We’re at the start. Even in training, sometimes the messages he’s giving us, it’s still new, we’re still working on it. It’s not like we’re three years in.

"We’re so early, we’re still at the start of that. It’s not about getting carried away. Of course, it’s better to be up that end than the other end, believe me, I’ve done both! I just want to continue that, continue working and that will leave us where it leaves us."

"Every game at the minute it’s the first time playing that team with this manager," outlined the 26-year-old. “This was the first time we were playing Luton who, with all due respect to them, are long-ball, five-at-the-back team. So working on stuff for this game is new.

"Stuff like that, tactical stuff. In certain situations what he wants us to do, stuff like that. It’s like, ‘Oh he wants us to do that because of this and this’. It’s all kind of new, that’s what I mean by learning."

more here: https://www.football.london/tottenh...mes-maddison-ange-postecoglou-udogie-27870026