Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic

You’ve got to like the way that Shaun Maloney has got his team playing good football. They’ve spent and wasted fortunes over the years but their most influential players were all relative youngsters.
Matt Smith ( number 8) aged 23 was excellent and bossed the midfield. Signed for free after released from Arsenal. Served his apprenticeship in the lower leagues on loan at Swindon and Doncaster.
Martial Goddo ( number 17) aged 20 on loan from Fulham.
Thello Aasguard ( number 10) aged 21 signed on a free after release from Liverpool.
Just shows you don’t have to spend a fortune to be a good team at this level, a good coach ( like Maloney and Skubala) is just as important. We could have beaten Wigan with the decent chances we fluffed but they were the better all round side and superbly coached. None of our players are irreplaceable if a top offer comes in, there are plenty of nuggets out there, the key is identifying them and coaching them to improve them. I’m confident Skubala and his team will do that

Would Wigan’s budget be bigger than ours though? Signing 22 year olds released by Premier League clubs isn’t necessarily cheap if there’s lots of interest.

Both Moylan and Hackett struggled again. But both have given their all playing out of position up to now.
I think we will just miss out on the playoffs now but what a great effort.
If we are to keep the momentum going the summer transfer recruitment will be absolutely vital. Sadly i personally think we will definitely lose some players in the summer who we would all like to keep. It is who we bring in that counts.

Lino anticipated the ball was going out and signalled the goal kick rather than waiting to make a considered decision. I’ve no idea if it was kept in or not; impossible to tell. Maybe the goal should’ve stood - but if the teams were reversed and the goal was given against us, I would not have been pleased!

He didn't signal for a goal kick, he raised his flag up in the air in the first instance.

Would Wigan’s budget be bigger than ours though? Signing 22 year olds released by Premier League clubs isn’t necessarily cheap if there’s lots of interest.
Not sure but their financial restraints this season suggest they are behaving better than previous. Young players released from Premier League clubs should be swayed by the coaching on offer as much as the quick buck cash. I could imagine young players being temped by Maloney and Skubala.