Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic

There's a leap between results, form and consistency. We really missed McGrandles last week at Reading and against Orient- were it not for O's losing concentration for a second, that would have been a draw.

We have been on an amazing run we've all enjoyed- the last 4 games have helped highlight the areas we still need to improve on to be consistent and compete.

Next season COULD see two of Birmingham,/Wednesday/Huddersfield and Wrenxham/Stockport come up. Next season doesn't get any easier.
At the end of the day with our ambitions of hopefully getting into the Championship we will be playing teams like that and much better every week. So we will need to compete with them all next season if we want to progress..

I didn't think we played well enough to win the game. There's no way Wigan have been playing like they did yesterday or they would of been well up there instead of mid table despite their point deduction. They hadn't won previously to yesterday in 4 games so they had that element of pressure off where as we were in a must win game and we weren't firing on all cylinders and there was no fluency or continuity to our play and they just basically outfootballed us.

Would agree with all the decisions for our 3 disallowed goals but I thought their winner was a really bad passage of play from us.
First of all I thought it was bordering on a foul throw from them. The lad was at least 5 or 6 yards behind the line when he took the throw and the ball landed about 3 yards in play, there's no way he could of took that throw legally and land it 3 yards in play legally from the line. Not sure what the rule is on where you have to take a throw from but I would guess that it's open to interpretation as with most other 'rules'.

Secondly the guy who he threw it to was totally unmarked and had acres of space and time to turn and put a cross in.

Thirdly the defensive header from the cross was awful, don't know who it was but he headed the ball straight back it the danger area on the edge of the 'D' to a lad who got his shot away unchallenged.

Fourthly. Could Jensen done better with it?
It was a good height to save but I'll give him the benifit of the doubt.

Fifthly. All this is happening in the 91st minite of a game we need to win but certainly can't lose.

All the tiny margins we talk about and all playing out in 30 seconds or so right at the very end of a game.

Think we probably had to win yesterday and can't fault Skoobs for his intent late on. Although, I'm not sure removing a proven goalscorer is an absoltue balls-out approach to this.
However, a draw would have been 4 points behind Oxford. In a magical world 7 points from the last 3 (clearly beating Oxford included) might have done us given our slightly better GD. As it is we almost certainly need 3 wins.

What we have started to do this season is have the confidence to show that we can beat the teams from the bottom to the middle of this league. What we need to do next season is consistently start to beat the teams in the top middle upwards of this league too. We need to develop the mentality that we can and will do this, and expect to do it rather than keep our fingers crossed and hope we do. Once we do that, and I believe we will, then we will be serious challengers.

Just one of those days, I had a bad feeling we were due one beforehand 🙄 The Ref seemed card happy for us, but let them get away with things too 🤷‍♂️
Hopefully this defeat will re-ignite the players belief to right these wrongs on Tuesday, as Oxford may have peaked too early with their Posh win.
It’ll be a tough ask to make the playoffs now, but it could still go down to the Final Day when anything can happen. UTI 🙏🏼🔴⚪
Me too. We've been watching football a long time, and gut feelings are often reliable!

If we win our last three games, Oxford have to win their other two to finish above us. Easier said than done.

Had chance to see the highlights rather than my deceptive view from the SW, both offsides were correct, the second was very clever from their defender - he checked his run as new is was doing to be done for pace.
The ball out of play - a truly awful decision. My opinion but it is an expert one, we’ve been done there by an appalling guess which was wrong.

Had chance to see the highlights rather than my deceptive view from the SW, both offsides were correct, the second was very clever from their defender - he checked his run as new is was doing to be done for pace.
The ball out of play - a truly awful decision. My opinion but it is an expert one, we’ve been done there by an appalling guess which was wrong.
Check Bazzzers photo further up the thread.

The ball was out. Although the Lino was in no position to be sure it was.

It is perhaps fitting that injuries have again been the stumbling block. Ironically this time it is in the midfield with us having so many available attacking options that we are trying to accommodate them elsewhere.
We have done incredibly well to cope with those midfield injuries but seem to have struggled recently when the opposition has put extra numbers in there.
Moylan made himself undroppable with his goals but once teams got wise to him he was never going to be allowed the same level of space to run into and he looks to me like a forward playing in midfield.
However many good performances Hackett has had at LWB it doesn't convince me he isn't a forward playing out of position. He is a good player for sure and I want him further forward but his performances are despite his position and not because of. Sorenson,who also struggled yesterday, is on the other hand definitely in his correct position. I think he will still be with us next season but if a team in the Championship takes a gamble on him then good luck to them and to him.
There was something in one of the manager's press calls about managing Taylor's minutes in accordance with what Luton wanted. That is one thing but I am really not surprised Taylor was upset when he came off yesterday. In what was a must win game I thought he had to stay on. Also not fully convinced we have used him as well as we might have in some games as his pace and all round ability should be too much for many League 1 defences. Erhahon should have put him in behind a couple of times yesterday and the delay in the pass for the disallowed goal was really poor.
Oxford were as good as any team we have played this season, they must have been more disrupted with the managerial change than would have been imagined but I am more surprised with their struggles than the fact they have come good again. Obviously not so great for us but we have achieved so much in the second half of this season. Puts us on the front foot for next season although the League could be a heck of a lot tougher then. The more quality in the division the more entertainment though and that's for the best.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't out.
View attachment 72618
Have you seen the Inside Imps video?

It shows the "goal" from behind the goalline and as Woodis says Taylor is at least a couple of feet in the air when he makes contact with the ball.

The one certain thing is that his feet are NOT on the line but in the air.

So the picture shows one of Taylor's feet appearing to be touching the advertising hoardings (which it isn't) and the other one touching the line (which it isn't).

A long winded way of saying your picture is 2 dimensional and Taylor's feet will look further forward than they actually are....so his non kicking foot is certainly in the field of play...

...because if you draw a line straight down from his foot (in the air) to the ground, the bottom of that line will be lower in the picture and thus come further into the field of play.

Whether the other foot and the ball are also in play, who knows but I suspect they may be.

Last edited:
As somebody who has umpired cricket matches, the only way you can make an accurate line decision such as a run out is if you are directly in line. For example if you think the wicket keeper is encroaching it is best practice to move in line with the bowling crease rather than the popping crease before calling a no ball, otherwise it is scientifically impossible to be sure the correct call has been made due to the effect of parallax.

Other than that, in close calls it is your best guess. I'm not saying the lineo got the decision wrong, but if he wasn't precisely in line then it was guess work.

Last edited:
.because if you draw a line straight down from his foot (in the air) to the ground, the bottom of that line will be lower in the picture and thus come further into the field of play.
Sorry Chimp, but unless the LNER pitch
mirros steep hill then his foot very close to the line.

Just amuses me that so many decisions for officials in games are never given because the ref didn’t see it or they say ‘I didn’t see it clearly enough’ (sufficient doubt not to give a conclusive decision) yet the ‘over the line incident’ was clearly seen by a lino 40 yards away, not in line, through a crowd of players and/or through two goals posts and a net, but he knew the ball was over the line 🤔🙄🤫🫣🤐

Lino anticipated the ball was going out and signalled the goal kick rather than waiting to make a considered decision. I’ve no idea if it was kept in or not; impossible to tell. Maybe the goal should’ve stood - but if the teams were reversed and the goal was given against us, I would not have been pleased!

Not read much of the above stuff, but the 'goal' looked like one to me and how the 'crap all game' Lino on the GBM side could see that to make a game changing decision, is beyond belief. The Ref, also crap, was nearer, bottled it. Anyway, the team, the Players, have done us proud over the last few weeks , we have enjoyed the ride, and excitement !! at SB. The players were out on their feet at the end, all very disappointed as we were, the loss of the key midfielders has caught up with us, but MS deserves great credit for achieving what he has in very trying circumstances. Next season will be fun, we know we will be entertained now, and many of the waverers will be pleased they have renewed their season tickets !
UTI.