Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic

As others have said, I think we've just run out of steam in the last few weeks. Ultimately this may be a blessing - it's unlikely we'd have won the play-offs and even less likely we'd have stayed up next season. This should give us a longer summer break and another year to consolidate and build a squad more capable of competing in the Championship if we do go up.

Of course, if we somehow turn it around and get to the play-offs and then win them, please disregard the above.

On review of the highlights…

Offside goals correct to be chalked off

I think Taylor keeps the balls in, nevertheless
the lino clearly isn’t the correct position to give it and has guessed.

Clear foul throw for their goal

Well done officials 👏

Just wasn't going to be our day today against a decent Wigan team.
All the Imps players gave their all but nobody really had a stand out game today.
Their first goal was definitely deflected over Jensen. Then with 3 goals disallowed with one I feel should have counted it just wasnt happenning for us.
The Officials were all poor on the day and gave us very little. We were pushing for a win which left gaps when they got their winner which went in because he miss hit it I think..
Going to be very hard now but not impossible the lads just have to go for it at Oxford and hope for the best.
In January we all thought it was going to be a dull run till the end of the season with possibly only relegation to avoid. But Skubala his team of Coaches and the
Players have kept the fans entertained and excited since then. Whatever happens huge congratulations to what they have achieved so far
But the proverbial lady isn't quite singing yet just warming up!

In a way, today was a relief. To sneak into the play offs and extend the season may have done us more harm than good. Chance to start a rebuild for next season. Couldn’t take a 4th play off final defeat

That was a great run... It was a pleasure to be part of it. Well done Imps 💪👍

It had to come to an end at one point. Shame it happened in such a crucial moment. We just ran out of steam and ... midfielders. It was coming.

Next season we will have completely different team in what will be a pretty strong division. Stronger than this year (I think).

One thing is promising though.
Mr Skubala showed what he is capable off and thst there is a big chance (or even expectations...) that he will build a good team for next season.
UTI

The chances of making the playoffs have always been pretty slim in reality ...one draw and solitary loss in the last 2 games meaning we now actually do have "must win" games coming up, proving that. (The first must win game outside cup completions for many years, probably since 2011).

3 wins will be difficult but not impossible by any means. Oxford now have something to lose, while we don't, which will make Tuesday interesting. Don't give up hope while there is some.

As for the game, Wigan played well to start with ...and the drawback of the great run we have been on, is that teams are aware of the
need to be on it and raise their game.

We played well after they scored and created enough chances to win.

Probably with a Bishop or McGrandles to bring on we might have created even more but towards the end we just hadn't quite got the craft on the pitch to create a winner. No one's fault but we ended up with pretty much just defenders and forwards on the pitch.

I thought Mandroiu was really excellent among a number but we just didn't quite get the breaks.

Their first goal took a deflection which just changed the flight of the ball and took it out of Jensen's reach...

and with another go the excellent Erhahon would have played his pass earlier and Taylor would have been clear and onside to score...

Anyway it didn't go our way today for once...but by 10pm on Tuesday it will be over for this season....

or very much still on.

Might as well keep hoping for another few days.

Last edited:
What did people think of the Oxford player who the ref told to go off on the far side (to the bench) as he was probably only 10 yards away from that touchline but the player pushed the ref out of the way and trudged off the long way (I notice their skipper came over to give him the hurry up).
I wondered if such a blatant disregard for the referee warranted a stronger punishment than a yellow card.

What did people think of the Oxford player who the ref told to go off on the far side (to the bench) as he was probably only 10 yards away from that touchline but the player pushed the ref out of the way and trudged off the long way (I notice their skipper came over to give him the hurry up).
I wondered if such a blatant disregard for the referee warranted a stronger punishment than a yellow card.

Yeah I saw that, it was bizarre.
The referee clearly told him to go off at the nearest point which was as you say around 10 yards from the touchline which would of meant him walking the whole length of the Stacy West and back round to their dugout.
He literally physically manhandled the referee out of his way and was chirping off to him and just started walking across the pitch to their dugout. The referee booked him and one of their players ushered him off but I think he should of been sent off because the laws of the game is that you go off at the nearest point and aswell as pushing the ref he just flatly refused to do it.

I would of let the tw@t nearly get to the dugout then called him back and if he didn't come back I would of sent him off.

What was an Oxford player even doing at the game?

Taylor had a bit of a cob on after he was subbed!
I found the sub decisions a bit strange. To sub of Taylor, Hackett, Moylan and House when you’re chasing a goal seemed a bit wierd to me. House was off it mostly and was on a booking so fair enough. Taylor was outr most likely scorer and Hackett and Moylan both have goals in them. We never got a sniff of goal and looked ragged from the time Taylor went off

Today's outcome has been coming for a few games- performance levels dropped (or rather didn't hit the heights of end of Feb/early March). 16 match unbeaten run is not to be sniffed at and helped create a buzz over the last 2 months and put us where are (now an outside chance of the play-offs) but, to be honest, we lost the opportunity in December with only 1 point in 7 games. The unbeaten run has been excellent but we were two yards behind the starting blocks after December,

It's not over yet but looking much less likely and going into Tuesday against an Oxford side who, in their last 3 games, have found their form.

Half a look to next season and there are some tough decisions for the club- I really like Draper as a person but his physique and mobility mark him out in L1 as out of his depth. I'd be resigned to seeing Sorensen and Bishop leave and Mitchell go back to Millwall. Taylor will not be at Lincoln next season either. Part of our run since Jan has been the fact we have someone who has been able to consistently score goals (something House does not do).

The rebuilt for next season will be interesting - of course it still is in the laps of the gods which league that is in.

Last edited: