Match Thread: Lincoln City v Stevenage | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Stevenage

Agree with this, House has picked up gobby bookings ever since he came back, but you fail to mention the physical assault by Jamie Reid on Jensen, it looked to be premeditated to soften him up. Reid was not looking at the ball, just the keeper and lead with his elbow to the head. That was a Red far more than Erhahon got booked for and Madley was very kind to them in that instance. Percy Freeman got away with that in the 1970's but things have moved on fortunately ! I dont know what House did wrong a yard away from the keeper, he was not moving, their keeper could have gone either side but chose to moan and break up play as they were doing all afternoon. He could have released the ball if he had wanted. The other lot were as guilty of silly fouls as we were to give this more balance.
UTI.
I make you both right.
Their lad on the keeper was clearly premeditated. I doubt many would have been surprised at a red card.
Similarly, House was clearly moving toward the keeper every time he went to kick. A silly thing to be doing when on a yellow. Rightly or wrongly, you generally get a second chance when on a yellow. There is no sense in risking a card, or your free hit on such an action.
Erahon was just lucky he got another chance. He knew what was doing. Hackett tried to stop their lad but missed him!

A very frustrating day on Saturday, on reflection. Two quite evenly matched teams, cancelling each other out, and quite frankly the draw was a fair result on reflection. However, my frustration stems from Lincoln's players lack of common sense regarding fouls and misconduct, and how referee's react.
Firstly, you can look at this through your red and white tinted spectacles, but Ethan should have been sent off. He was guilty of dissent, and then guilty of stopping a promising attack, and if you didn't see the obvious push, then I would recommend a trip to Specsavers. Two mandatory yellows, which Mr Madley failed to apply. Why does he feel the need to moan at referees, let your feet do the talking.
Secondly, Ben House. You can't jump about in front of a goalkeeper. The Law says, 'An indirect free kick is awarded if a player prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball....' But more importantly, why does he do it? What tactical purpose does it serve, other than to ensure he's offside when the ball comes back quickly. He was another one close to a second yellow, after a silly reckless challenge which gave away a silly free kick, he continue to moan and groan. You're better than that, Ben! I recall my frustration in the Away game at Derby last season when he was sent off early in the second half for a silly challenge and a second yellow when we were leading 1-0, a game we ended up drawing with ten men.
At the end of the first half, I recall the ball was going out of play for a corner to us, but either O'Connor or Mitchell fouled the defender and gave away a silly free kick. And Draper went down in a challenge near the end looking for a free kick/penalty, but my Labrador wouldn't have been fooled by it.
We're far better than this, we're developing into a real footballing side, but finishing the game with ten men or racking up silly cautions will do us no favours in the long run. And our sending off count this season is nothing to be proud of.
Thanks Mr Madley, we owe you one, I just hope the assessor in the stand was as kind to you as you were to us. UTI
Interesting a relative hot head like Roughan (sent off for an altercation with an opposition coach, while playing for Ireland) was pulling Erhahon away, stopping him chirping at the ref, following the foul you mention. Perhaps the Ireland event has been part of Roughan's learning curve?

They are all still fairly young and will occasionally have to learn the hard way...

Being just the right side of the line to maximise your advantage, is a skill which increases with age....

...but you do have to be fairly close to that line if you want to win regularly.

I make you both right.
Their lad on the keeper was clearly premeditated. I doubt many would have been surprised at a red card.
Similarly, House was clearly moving toward the keeper every time he went to kick. A silly thing to be doing when on a yellow. Rightly or wrongly, you generally get a second chance when on a yellow. There is no sense in risking a card, or your free hit on such an action.
Erahon was just lucky he got another chance. He knew what was doing. Hackett tried to stop their lad but missed him!
I noticed the Hackett attempt as well ! The other lot also marked out Ted Bishop for special attention , at least three on the ball poor fouls which they carefully shared out, and two clouts off the ball which the Ref missed, not surprising with so much going on !!

Reading all the comments about House facing up to the keeper. I may be wrong but if the keeper moves then so can the player, what the player can't do is interfere in him releasing the ball. Can someone please explain how a player stood outside the area is stopping the goalkeeper; who should be staying in his area; releasing the ball? Blocking a release is different to stopping him release it.

Reading all the comments about House facing up to the keeper. I may be wrong but if the keeper moves then so can the player, what the player can't do is interfere in him releasing the ball. Can someone please explain how a player stood outside the area is stopping the goalkeeper; who should be staying in his area; releasing the ball? Blocking a release is different to stopping him release it.

I agree with this. I’d always assumed the offence can only occur inside the 18 yard box?

Keepers get it far too easy. The ball is in play so why not change the rule so the keeper can be blocked same as any other player on the field, it would make them play the ball quicker and make the game flow more.

Keepers get it far too easy. The ball is in play so why not change the rule so the keeper can be blocked same as any other player on the field, it would make them play the ball quicker and make the game flow more.
On Saturday a premeditated elbow to the side of the head is not having it easy, but I do take your point that keepers are sometimes a protected species .